Old 06-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #1
EricTbone
Human being with feelings

Default Routing containing feedback dependent on track order?

I commonly use feedback in routing to make tidier projects with multi-instrument VSTs like Kontakt or Omnisphere. For instance, if I'm hosting 5 instruments in a Kontakt instance, I want to route MIDI/audio to/from 5 tracks rather than 10 (5 tracks for MIDI and 5 tracks for audio).

I've encountered reproducible behavior so bizarre that I assume it's a bug. The attached project demonstrates it using ReaSynth.

Track #1 ("Instrument Track") has ReaSynth and Master send disabled.

Track #2 has a MIDI item. Track #2's MIDI output is routed to Track #1, and Track #1's audio output is routed Track #2. "Allow feedback in routing" is enabled in the project settings.

This works. When I hit Play, you can see MIDI and audio activity on both tracks meters and I hear the audio.

If I then simply reorder the tracks, it stops working. It acts exactly as when "Allow feedback in routing" is disabled. No MIDI is coming into Instrument Track, so there is no audio. If I reorder them again, it works again. So on and so forth.

Demo Reaper project attached. Hit play. Stop. Reorder track #1 and #2. Hit play.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp ReaperIssue.RPP (4.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by EricTbone; 06-18-2018 at 09:01 AM.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Lokasenna

EpicSounds (Jon from The Reaper Blog) was helping someone with the same issue last week, and no matter I did I couldn't reproduce it on my end without simply disabling "allow feedback in routing" in Project Settings. Setting up the same routing, I was able to drag tracks around wherever I wanted without any trouble.

So the good news is that would appear to be an issue of having the wrong setting somewhere. The bad news is I haven't the foggiest what setting that might be. :/
Old 06-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
EricTbone

So my sample project doesn't reproduce the issue for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
the good news is that would appear to be an issue of having the wrong setting somewhere
That doesn't seem so apparent to me. I can't imagine any legitimate circumstance where ordering of tracks should have any effect on reaper's audio routing (assuming folders aren't involved).

EDIT: I just reset Reaper to factory defaults. The error still occurs.

Tried various audio drivers, including "Dummy Audio" and/or disconnecting hardware output from the master track entirely, and the issue remains.

EDIT #2: I just uninstalled Reaper, manually removed all remnants from %APPDATA% and the registry, then reinstalled. Clean slate, unlicensed Reaper. Same issue.

Last edited by EricTbone; 06-17-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
Lokasenna

Alright, finally got a chance amid the bedlam of toddler bedtime to try your project - I do get the same behavior as you.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
EricTbone

So is there some difference in my routing configuration compared to when you built it and didn't see this issue?