Old 04-29-2021, 08:51 AM   #1
phillip2637
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI chord entry

(I'm not at all sure this is the best place for the question, but I'm also not sure there's a better one.)

I'm imagining a MIDI editing feature that would allow the entry of a chord with a mouse click. The interface would probably be a grid of buttons similar to some controller pads. Each button would insert a type of chord (triad, 7th, ...) in one of its inversions. Possibly, the buttons could be "loaded" with chord layouts as a palette for a song, where a layout would basically be a list of intervals between the notes for that particular chord instance.

Chord duration might need an extra selection or might come from the grid setting. The insertion position would advance after an insert, but with manual override. The pitch of the chord notes could be determined by selecting a note in the piano roll or named notes view and aligning the lowest note in the chord with that. (Or aligning the root note if the button-related data had that information.)

So, the questions: Does something like this exist for Reaper? Is something like this feasible for Reaper scripting? (Does something like this exist outside of Reaper?)
phillip2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #2
marlow77

Sundog Studio is an external program that is great for this, as is their Xotopad interface for live input.

Reaper has some SWS extensions scripts that can do some of the chord entry tasks too, but I can't remember the authors' names.
marlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #3
Spookye

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip2637 View Post
(I'm not at all sure this is the best place for the question, but I'm also not sure there's a better one.)

I'm imagining a MIDI editing feature that would allow the entry of a chord with a mouse click. The interface would probably be a grid of buttons similar to some controller pads. Each button would insert a type of chord (triad, 7th, ...) in one of its inversions. Possibly, the buttons could be "loaded" with chord layouts as a palette for a song, where a layout would basically be a list of intervals between the notes for that particular chord instance.

Chord duration might need an extra selection or might come from the grid setting. The insertion position would advance after an insert, but with manual override. The pitch of the chord notes could be determined by selecting a note in the piano roll or named notes view and aligning the lowest note in the chord with that. (Or aligning the root note if the button-related data had that information.)

So, the questions: Does something like this exist for Reaper? Is something like this feasible for Reaper scripting? (Does something like this exist outside of Reaper?)

Certainly it exists. Search in CHORDGUN scripts. I think that's what you are looking for ..... A greeting.

https://stash.reaper.fm/browse.php?q=chordgun&x=5&y=8
Spookye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #4
phillip2637

Thanks!!

I was originally thinking of something for step-entry rather than recording, but this is excellent too.
phillip2637 is offline   Reply With Quote