Old 04-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
chip mcdonald
Human being with feelings

Default Faders with mouse farked up

I'm sorry... Without using cntrl it's incredibly difficult to control. Even with the "Curve" set to 3.0 and bottoming at 72db, you end up at -22 db down halfway through the travel; then it ramps up seemingly faster? Yeah, I could set the bottom higher up - but then what happens when I *do* need it to go lower than say 24 db....?

Again, it's the audio-taper sensation thing.

I'd still prefer the fader to pop big like the master in Cubase, that makes the most sense to me - or at least the option of having the fader act as it does with cntrl held down; I don't have to actually *see* a fader, I can listen. As it is now it's a pain in the butt to use without cntrl; which doesn't make any sense to me, if I have to use it with cntrl ALL the time, it should be able to default to that behavior? Yeah, I *can* use cntrl to get more accuracy, but *why*? I see a 'full travel" fader but past the midway point it's basically an on/off switch...
Old 04-02-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
eightnine

I agree that I'd like to be able to set the ctrl thingie to default behavior.
eightnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
norbury brook

Hmm,this is something I've noticed too.I'm used to Cubendo and the way the faders operate in reaper 'feels' a bit weird,and that's exactly what you describe.THe sends seem that way for me too,compared to cubendo where I can hear FX's from a low amount of send,in reaper the send fader has to be twice as high for the same effect.

It means,like you say, there's only a small area of usable fader movement which doesnt seem right.Is there a way round this?

MC
norbury brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
chip mcdonald

To me, it feels like the ratio of mouse movement>onscreen movement is too minute. Even if he changes the "curve" of the movement, it's still going to be difficult.

So I suggest a "FADER THROW" setting: from a 1:1 feel like it is now, to a "I've got to scroll the mouse across the equivalent of 6 virtual screens for full-travel" feel.

+ a more audio taper curve - which may be in effect already, but it's hard to tell.

the "feel" of the faders is a significant thing to the overall "look and FEEL" of the program, IMO... just as a fader on an analog console. The faders should imply the "feel" of a Penny&Giles or Alps; not "twitchy old Peavey/Radio Shack/American DJ gunged up worn out short-throw fader". That probably would require a little bit of fooling around with the "throw" distance and the "curve" as well.. I suspect you'd have to have actually maybe two curves, so that the impression of coming to the end 1/3rds of the "fader" doesn't start "closing up" too fast or slow.

Tricky, but I think if it's done right it can make the overall feel of Reaper "nicer".