Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
Tjspahr1
Human being with feelings

Default USB Interface/Control Surface Suggestions

Hi guys,

Crossposted in Q&A, but this looks like it might be the more appropriate forum.

Absolute newb to DAW use. I'm looking to pick up a good USB audio interface and control surface for working in Reaper. I'm open to any suggestions, compatability issues, etc, that you can offer, and know that much of this will also be dependent on the hardware I run the DAW on.

For USB interfaces, I'm looking at the following:

Steinberg UR-RT2
Audient ID14
Apollo Twin

I'm not opposed to others, but I've seen interfaces like Focusrite get flamed from users for poor support, and lack of updated drivers.

For control surfaces, I'm looking at either the Behringer X-touch or the Presonsus Faderport line.

The only other piece of gear that I will be integrating at the moment is an AVID Eleven Rack. I do have a Roland VS-100 interface/control surface that has seen little use, but I've not seen much in the forums that led me to believe that compatibility won't be an issue.

Thanks in advance...feel free to suggest away!
Tom
Tjspahr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
cyrano

If you believe Focusrite's support isn't any good, you should never buy an Avid Eleven rack.

From personal experience, I know Focusrite's support is certainly among the better ones. The same goes for driver support.

From what I hear about Avid, you'd better pull out your wallet immediately to get any support. Here's what the REAPER blog has to say about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5AxjqnLH4
Old 09-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Tjspahr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
If you believe Focusrite's support isn't any good, you should never buy an Avid Eleven rack.

From personal experience, I know Focusrite's support is certainly among the better ones. The same goes for driver support.

From what I hear about Avid, you'd better pull out your wallet immediately to get any support. Here's what the REAPER blog has to say about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5AxjqnLH4
Cyrano, thanks for the info. I can't personally say regarding the support; can only see what has been posted, and I'm seeing a lot of posts in other forums regarding Focusrite customer service. That could be due to any number of factors, so really appreciate that you have had good support from them.

Back in "the day", I sold Focusite product, before the advent of home digital recording, and long before the advent of computer based/DAW recording. There hardware, at lest at the time, was good. If you were attempting it, home digital recording would have been done by the (original) ADAT or DA-88...certainly not for most hobbyists.

Man I'm old...
:0)
Tjspahr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
cyrano

The only interface on your short list that I have doubts about, is the Steinberg UR-RT2. Not because it isn't good, but because of it's price. And that's due to the Neve name on it. While Neve was a very good preamp designer, back in the days, he never designed transformers. I also don't see what a trannie would add.

I have a little experience with the Audient and those sound good. I have no experience with the Apollo, but have heard only good things about it.

And, yes, I'm old too. Old enough to be a cynical bastard. I've worked in the marketing industry for over ten years, so I get kind of itchy when I see tricks like the Neve trannies.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:29 AM   #5
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The only interface on your short list that I have doubts about, is the Steinberg UR-RT2. Not because it isn't good, but because of it's price. And that's due to the Neve name on it. While Neve was a very good preamp designer, back in the days, he never designed transformers. I also don't see what a trannie would add.

I have a little experience with the Audient and those sound good. I have no experience with the Apollo, but have heard only good things about it.

And, yes, I'm old too. Old enough to be a cynical bastard. I've worked in the marketing industry for over ten years, so I get kind of itchy when I see tricks like the Neve trannies.
Transformers can make a substantial difference to the sound.

The jury is out on the quality of the ones in the Steinberg unit.

However, one thing that happens on a large format console -- overall coloration imprinted on the sound by the plethora of similar sonic signature transformers.
This would apply to the Steinberg unit in spades as you are re-using the exact same transformer over and over, as opposed to the subtle differences between real physical units (think round robin drum samplers).

This can be a good thing and a bad thing
If you are searching for a particular sound and this is it, you're in luck, if not, well...

Transformer modeling has come a long way, UAD is at the head of the pack.

I'd say go for the Twin (at least duo, quad if you can), you get all of those beautiful, authentic, and most importantly, different transformer sounds to choose from, as opposed to being locked into one sonic signature.

I'd say get the 1176 Mkii collection for sure, and others to taste.

Disclaimer -- I've been running UAD since around 2002 -- now running Apollo silver face with adat Lynx Aurora.
I do have real preamps, some with transformers -- Great River, Grace, Sebatron, etc.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
cyrano

Having transformers in a mixer is a great advantage because they provide electrical isolation. Sometimes they also provide nicer sound.

But the "sometimes" is the problem. I suppose you can bypass the trannies in the Steinberg, but you still pay for them. They might also not be ideal for some mics, like ribbons.

And you can still add external trannies. I've been experimenting with those, but I still don't see much advantage unless you need isolation, to avoid hum, or avoid electrocution.

Just some thoughts, but the reason why I personally wouldn't pay more for such an interface. And for 350$, you can get fi, a Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL (8 I/O + ADAT), a Soundcraft Signature 12MTK (12 I/O + mixer), an Audient ID22 (2 in, 6 out + ADAT and monitor controller), or even an RME digiface USB (no preamps, but lots of ADAT I/O and RME driver + TotalMix).