Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
avocadomix
Human being with feelings

Default Scrubber behavior during playback

First of all, I use the scrubber not for scrubbing but to quickly move the playback cursor around without affecting items selection. While I might be misusing it, it is quite handy for this purpose and there is no other easy way to achieve this [that I know of] so I think issues arising with this use are legitimate.

The small but annoying issue I have with it is when I use it during playback. Chronologically, first I middle-click where I intend the playback cursor to go. At the time when I press the middle button, the playback jumps to that position. If the mouse happens to stand still during the click then all is good. However if I inadvertently move the mouse, the cursor moves to the new location and yet the playback doesn't care for that at all. When the playback does react is when I release the middle mouse button, at which point the playback cursor moves again and the playback restarts from that point.

So, to sum it up, current behavior is a snippet played back when the middle mouse button is pressed, then an abrupt jump to a new position when the button is released.

Expected behavior (or how I would like it to be): "normal" playback pauses while the scrubber is active, "scrubber" mode is activated until mouse button is released, then the playback continues from that point. Would be perfect if the scrubber had a small minimum movement threshold before it starts to actually scrub.

Alternatively, scrubber mode may be disabled entirely during playback (as it is now) and action assigned to the scrubber would move the playback cursor either on mouse button press or release, but not on both.

P.s. if someone wants to contribute an easy way to assign this action to the middle mouse button, I will appreciate highly.

Last edited by avocadomix; 09-18-2016 at 12:02 AM.
avocadomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadomix View Post
First of all, I use the scrubber not for scrubbing but to quickly move the playback cursor without affecting items selection. While I might be misusing it, it is quite handy for this purpose and there is no other easy way to achieve this [that I know of]
You could just click in the timeline instead of dragging the cursor. If you don't want it to snap you can turn snap off, or hold ctrl.

I don't really use scrub so I shouldn't comment about it.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:49 PM   #3
avocadomix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
You could just click in the timeline instead of dragging the cursor. If you don't want it to snap you can turn snap off, or hold ctrl.

I don't really use scrub so I shouldn't comment about it.
Thanks for the suggestion but the idea is to navigate quickly without having to get the mouse cursor to the timeline. With the scrubber, you don't have to drag, a click is enough btw. Try this, it will change your life! :-P
(Especially if devs fix the behavior during playback)

Last edited by avocadomix; 09-18-2016 at 12:05 AM.
avocadomix is offline   Reply With Quote