Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
halfbeing
Human being with feelings

Default FM8 stops producing sound after a while and I can find no way to revive it.

I'm having trouble with FM8 in Reaper, which I didn't have before. Basically it kind of dies and stops producing sound, even though it is clearly still receiving MIDI data. Removing it and reinserting it in the effects chain doesn't work, although I can insert other VSTis on the same chain and they will produce sound. Nor does restarting Reaper work. Deleting the track and inserting Reaper on a new track works temporarily, but eventually that new instance of FM8 stops producing sound too. I used not to have this problem. Has something gone wrong with Reaper (I'm on version 5.61 now), or is something else to blame?
halfbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbeing View Post
I'm having trouble with FM8 in Reaper, which I didn't have before. Basically it kind of dies and stops producing sound, even though it is clearly still receiving MIDI data. Removing it and reinserting it in the effects chain doesn't work, although I can insert other VSTis on the same chain and they will produce sound. Nor does restarting Reaper work. Deleting the track and inserting Reaper on a new track works temporarily, but eventually that new instance of FM8 stops producing sound too. I used not to have this problem. Has something gone wrong with Reaper (I'm on version 5.61 now), or is something else to blame?
"Deleting the track and inserting Reaper on a new track works temporarily"
What does this mean? are you using Reaper within another DAW?

Never experienced that with FM8. Does it do that in an entirely new project?

I'm a Win10 user. Latest Reaper.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
halfbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
"Deleting the track and inserting Reaper on a new track works temporarily"
What does this mean? are you using Reaper within another DAW?
Sorry, that was a typo. I meant to say "inserting FM8".

Quote:
Never experienced that with FM8. Does it do that in a new project?
Yes, as with creating a new track, if I create a new project, FM8 will work for a while and then go silent.

The kind length of time we are talking about between loading FM8 and it failing is a couple of minutes or so.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
Softsynth

Click on the NI symbol. Does it still say full license?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
halfbeing

Quote:
Click on the NI symbol. Does it still say full license?
Yes it does.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
solger

Quote:
Yes, as with creating a new track, if I create a new project, FM8 will work for a while and then go silent.

The kind length of time we are talking about between loading FM8 and it failing is a couple of minutes or so.
Does it only stop responding to MIDI input. Or is clicking on the keyboard with the mouse inside FM8 also not producing any sound anymore?
And does clicking on the panic button with the exclamation mark [!] at the top right corner in FM8 make any difference?

When you launch FM8 Standalone and as plugin and click on the NI icon - does it show the same version number in both cases?
And are Reaper and FM8 both the 64-bit version?

EDIT: You might also try doing a [Clear cache/re-scan] via Preferences > Plug-ins > VST, just in case.

Last edited by solger; 11-07-2017 at 05:29 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
halfbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Does it only stop responding to MIDI input. Or is clicking on the keyboard with the mouse inside FM8 also not producing any sound anymore?
And does clicking on the exclamation button [!] at the top right corner in FM8 make any difference?

When you launch FM8 Standalone and as plugin and click on the NI icon - does it show the same version number in both cases?

And are Reaper and FM8 both the 64-bit version?
Once it has stopped working, clicking on the FM8 keyboard doesn't produce sound, although the keys are shown being depressed, as they are when there is MIDI data coming to it from elsewhere.

Clicking the ! doesn't help.

I am using 64-bit versions of both FM8 and Reaper. The FM8 version is 14.1 (R1599) (both standalone and plugin) and the Reaper version is 5.61.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
solger

Quote:
Once it has stopped working, clicking on the FM8 keyboard doesn't produce sound, although the keys are shown being depressed, as they are when there is MIDI data coming to it from elsewhere.

Clicking the ! doesn't help.

I am using 64-bit versions of both FM8 and Reaper. The FM8 version is 14.1 (R1599) (both standalone and plugin) and the Reaper version is 5.61.
Very strange.

Maybe try doing a [Clear cache/rescan] of the plugin path (see edit in my last post).

Or make a fresh portable Reaper install (with 5.61 or a previous version) to a separate folder (side-by-side to your existing installation) to check if the problem with FM8 is the same there: https://lacinato.com/cm/blog/25-reaperportable

Older Reaper versions can be downloaded from here: http://reaper.fm/download-old.php
Old 11-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #9
halfbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Very strange.

Maybe try doing a [Clear cache/rescan] of the plugin path (see edit in my last post).

Or make a fresh portable Reaper install (with 5.61 or a previous version) to a separate folder (side-by-side to your existing installation) to check if the problem with FM8 is the same there: https://lacinato.com/cm/blog/25-reaperportable

Older Reaper versions can be downloaded from here: http://reaper.fm/download-old.php
I opened the project in a portable install of Reaper 5.40 and I got the same problem.

You're right about it being strange!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
halfbeing

But I've just created a new project in Reaper 5.40 and inserted FM8 in it and it's been going for a couple of minutes so far without failing. Maybe I should give it a while longer. I'm starting to suspect that it is indeed something that broke with a Reaper upgrade.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
Softsynth

Most odd, I was hoping your license had got messed up as reinstalling might cure that.
It sounds like something that happens to a demo product. Contact NI support. If it happens elsewhere.

Does it happen to the standalone version of FM8 too?
if not do you have access to other DAWs? does it do it there?

What about your other synths, they all fine? or same problem?

I'm a Win10 user. Latest 64bit Reaper. No issues with FM8 like this. Using it tonight.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
Softsynth

Quote:
But I've just created a new project in Reaper 5.40 and inserted FM8 in it and it's been going for a couple of minutes so far without failing. Maybe I should give it a while longer. I'm starting to suspect that it is indeed something that broke with a Reaper upgrade.
New Reaper update today
Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
Reason

You mention the chain - have you narrowed it down 100% to FM8? I've had a very similar issue that was caused by Sanford Reverb. Didn't matter if it was a softsynth or audio; it would randomly stop passing audio through it and the only fix I could find was to remove it and readd it. I don't recall if I tried removing other plugins first, though, and the fact that it doesn't happen with others does seem to point to FM8.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #14
halfbeing

I've just updated to Reaper 5.62 and so far I've been using FM8 within it for most of an hour without problem. Fingers crossed, but hopefully that will be the end of the problem.

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 11-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
Softsynth

Quote:
I've just updated to Reaper 5.62 and so far I've been using FM8 within it for most of an hour without problem. Fingers crossed, but hopefully that will be the end of the problem.

Thanks everyone for your input!
I doubt it was a fault with the previous version of Reaper because that worked fine with FM8 here.
Anyway glad installing the new one has solved your issue.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #16
halfbeing

Unfortunately I am encountering the same problem again. So it seems the update to Reaper 5.62 didn't fix it after all.

The project I am trying to work on at the moment has four instances of FM8. The kind of thing that is happening is that two of the four instances will go silent at the same time, but the other two will carry on functioning. However the project I was working on before this had two instances of FM8, but they never gave me any trouble.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 AM   #17
ivansc

Have you looked at what the max polyphony is on FM8? Dont know that particular synth at all but it worth seeing if it has limited polyphony & for some reason that is getting spread across your multiple iterations.

Silly me just realised this is a Kontakt synth!
Probably connected with limits within Kontakt - we have some real experts on Kontakt on here, so be patient - ED or Tod are bound to chip in shortly
Old 12-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #18
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Have you looked at what the max polyphony is on FM8? Dont know that particular synth at all but it worth seeing if it has limited polyphony & for some reason that is getting spread across your multiple iterations.

Silly me just realised this is a Kontakt synth!
Probably connected with limits within Kontakt - we have some real experts on Kontakt on here, so be patient - ED or Tod are bound to chip in shortly
Hi Ivan,
No it is not a Kontakt synth or Reaktor either. It doesn't use those platforms. The only Kontakt sample product that NI sell amongst the synth packages is Retro Machines Mk2. All the rest are proper software synths; although some of the synths can manipulate samples, which is something else again.

Halfbeing,

Related:
https://www.native-instruments.com/f...roblems.43544/

Note:
"Polyphony - max 64 per instance"

I wonder if the polyphony on your specific presets is set too low for what you require?
Click "master" in FM8, check there. Try raising polyphony. Beware CPU hit on gutless old PCs/Macs.

Last edited by Softsynth; 12-07-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #19
halfbeing

I have some more information. I have discovered that if I try to replace the instance of FM8 that has stopped sounding with another soft synth, such as ReaSynth, I still get no sound. In other words, while it seems to always be FM8 that is the culprit in triggering this misbehaviour, whatever it does affects the track as a whole, or at least the plugin chain for that track.

And I have also just discovered that, while VSTis stop working in the affected effect chain, I can still insert VSTs and they will work. For instance I was just able to record a snippet of audio to one of the tracks where VSTis have stopped working and pass it through ReaPitch to get the expected pitch-shifted version of the signal.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #20
Softsynth

Have you used automation in your project?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #21
halfbeing

Quote:
I have some more information. I have discovered that if I try to replace the instance of FM8 that has stopped sounding with another soft synth, such as ReaSynth, I still get no sound. In other words, while it seems to always be FM8 that is the culprit in triggering this misbehaviour, whatever it does affects the track as a whole, or at least the plugin chain for that track.

And I have also just discovered that, while VSTis stop working in the affected effect chain, I can still insert VSTs and they will work. For instance I was just able to record a snippet of audio to one of the tracks where VSTis have stopped working and pass it through ReaPitch to get the expected pitch-shifted version of the signal.
Sorry. I made a mistake and replaced the instance of FM8 on the wrong track. I have tried again and determined that ReaSynth does work when it replaces a broken instance of FM8.

But...

I have also discovered that when I replaced that instance of ReaSynth with FM8, FM8 works again. So what this suggests to me is that replacing FM8 with something that isn't FM8 and then bringing FM8 back again may be a way to get things working again, albeit not a very good way. What I shall try, the next time this happens, is to disable FM8 and insert another VSTi in the chain before removing the second vsti and re-enabling FM8. If that works then I will have a workaround that doesn't involve trashing all of FM8's settings.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #22
Softsynth

Can you post a faulty Reaper project we can test?

If you don't want to publish that just make a basic faulty one and post that here. See if we can replicate your issue.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #23
halfbeing

Quote:
Have you used automation in your project?

No, there's no automation yet in this project.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #24
halfbeing

I've just managed to try out what I said I'd try earlier, namely disabling FM8 and inserting another vsti before re-enabling FM8, and it doesn't work. I have to remove FM8, insert another vsti, such as ReaSynth, and then replace ReaSynth with FM8.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #25
uncleswede

Quote:
No, there's no automation yet in this project.
Have you used MIDI expression controller (CC:11) at all? If you have, and have left the last controller value as 0, you will get no sound from your synth after that in the project timeline...
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #26
halfbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswede View Post
Have you used MIDI expression controller (CC:11) at all? If you have, and have left the last controller value as 0, you will get no sound from your synth after that in the project timeline...
No. This project is at a very early stage and I've done very little to it apart from laying down a voice track and a bit of midi and applying a few effects.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Softsynth

Quote:
No. This project is at a very early stage and I've done very little to it apart from laying down a voice track and a bit of midi and applying a few effects.
The MIDI wasn't even played in? All piano roll programming or sequencer?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #28
halfbeing

Quote:
The MIDI wasn't even played in? All piano roll programming or sequencer?
Oh no. I played most of the midi. What I meant was that it was just notes from the keyboard. No other instructions.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #29
Softsynth

Quote:
Oh no. I played most of the midi. What I meant was that it was just notes from the keyboard. No other instructions.
If u can publish a simple FM8 project (no wav part) we can test this.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #30
Glennbo

Quote:

When the sound stops playing, does the meter on the track also stop? Also, when sound stops, if you drag from the send with FM8 to an empty track is there still no sound?

It almost sounds like REAPER has detected a feedback loop and is protecting itself from it. I have the older FM7, and IIRC it can be used as an audio effect on an audio channel, so the internal routing on that plug may do more than most VSTi plugins.

One more thing, when it fails is it reproducible? IOW, once you get it playing again, will it fail at the exact same place, or does it happen more randomly?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #31
halfbeing

Quote:
If u can publish a simple FM8 project (no wav part) we can test this.
I am attaching the project I am working on with the audio stripped out. I think the only plugin it uses apart from Reaper ones and FM8 is Battery. There are IIRC five tracks with FM8 on them. On "brachilead", "brachilead 2" and "FM8" the FM8 plugin is not working for me. On "bass" and the one with "carrier" in its name (for which output to master is disabled), it is working.
Attached Files
File Type: zip we shouldn't be flying.zip (171.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 12-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #32
halfbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
When the sound stops playing, does the meter on the track also stop? Also, when sound stops, if you drag from the send with FM8 to an empty track is there still no sound?

It almost sounds like REAPER has detected a feedback loop and is protecting itself from it. I have the older FM7, and IIRC it can be used as an audio effect on an audio channel, so the internal routing on that plug may do more than most VSTi plugins.

One more thing, when it fails is it reproducible? IOW, once you get it playing again, will it fail at the exact same place, or does it happen more randomly?
When the sound stops playing the meter stops and the CPU meter shows 0%. Nothing happens if I try to send to another track. I cannot reproduce the failures. The only pattern I can see to narrow it down is that it seems to affect some tracks and not others, and will continue to affect tracks that fulfill the same role in the song as the ones they replace. This makes me wonder whether particular patches, such as "Brachilead", are more liable to trigger the failure than others.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #33
Glennbo

Quote:
When the sound stops playing the meter stops and the CPU meter shows 0%. Nothing happens if I try to send to another track. I cannot reproduce the failures. The only pattern I can see to narrow it down is that it seems to affect some tracks and not others, and will continue to affect tracks that fulfill the same role in the song as the ones they replace. This makes me wonder whether particular patches, such as "Brachilead", are more liable to trigger the failure than others.
Looking at your track 4, I see that there are two overlapping clips, and the first one ends at 53:3:71 and has an "All Notes Off" as the last event.

The next clip begins at 53:1:1 which might be getting clobbered at 53:3:71 when the other clip fires the all notes off.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #34
solger

Quote:
There are IIRC five tracks with FM8 on them. On "brachilead", "brachilead 2" and "FM8" the FM8 plugin is not working for me.
I just had a quick look at the project file and it seems that on these 3 Tracks #6 "brachilead" , #7 "brachilead 2" and #8 "FM8", the FM8 (Master) Output Volume Fader is set to 0 in all FM8 instances (see the Master section in FM8). Hence there is no audio output.

Not sure exactly what might have triggered this in your case, but since the FM8 Master Volume seems to be mapped to CC7, make sure that you are not accidentally setting the FM8 Volume to 0 via MIDI (CC7) somehow.

--------------------
EDIT: I just saw your reply that it seems to be triggered by your keyboard.

Are these FM8 instances always going silent at the (exact) same position in the project? Or does it happen more or less randomly (regardless of the play cursor position)?
Quote:
The project I am trying to work on at the moment has four instances of FM8. The kind of thing that is happening is that two of the four instances will go silent at the same time, but the other two will carry on functioning.

Last edited by solger; 12-07-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #35
halfbeing

I have just discovered that what has been happening has been that the output volume in FM8's master settings keeps getting set to zero. I can make this happen simply by playing from the keyboard while transport is set to stop. I couldn't make it happen when using the patch "baby got beef", but I could make it happen with "brachilead". These are the unmodified factory presets that I am using. Even if I set the output volume very low it still cuts off. It cuts off within a very short space of time — always less than a minute.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #36
karbomusic

Quote:
I have just discovered that what has been happening has been that the output volume in FM8's master settings keeps getting set to zero. I can make this happen simply by playing from the keyboard while transport is set to stop. I couldn't make it happen when using the patch "baby got beef", but I could make it happen with "brachilead". These are the unmodified factory presets that I am using. Even if I set the output volume very low it still cuts off. It cuts off within a very short space of time — always less than a minute.
Are CC messages enabled in MIDI devices for that keyboard controller? If so, disable and report back.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #37
halfbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Are CC messages enabled in MIDI devices for that keyboard controller? If so, disable and report back.
I think I may have traced the problem to a defective control knob on a MIDI controller. It's an Oxygen8 V2 and is almost ten years old. When I turn the knob, the response on screen is rather erratic. Maybe it can be cleaned?

Anyway I hope that's the end of the matter. Thanks very much to you and to everybody for your help in getting to the bottom of this.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #38
solger

Quote:
I think I may have traced the problem to a defective control knob on a MIDI controller. It's an Oxygen8 V2 and is almost ten years old. When I turn the knob, the response on screen is rather erratic. Maybe it can be cleaned?
If cleaning the knob doesn't help, you might also have a look at these things:

- Changing the CC Message Parameter for this knob on the Oxygen itself (if possible) to something else
- Assigning a different CC Parameter (other than 7) to the Master Volume in FM8 - Master section. Or removing this parameter from the MIDI Controller Assignment List in FM8.
- Or maybe using a JS:MIDI plugin on the Track to block or filter out specific incoming CC messages
Old 12-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #39
Softsynth

Hi,
Just had a chance to look. Volume is indeed down to zero on those tracks. Also had a curve ball on one track where MIDI input was disabled.

Faulty pot does sound like the likely cause on the volume issue tracks. Glad you found it.
I will delete my copy of your project now.