Old 12-04-2018, 01:53 AM   #1
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Default I'm on a novelty guitar compilation

I posted a couple of my recordings to sort of a compilation/gallery thing with guitars made in my country, with solid representation of instruments made in the 80s/90s, magical era when everyone here was learning what capitalism was and before the shipping crates full of Squiers and Corts killed the local budget guitar market dead:

http://polish.guitars.bonimedia.pl/

^^ the page has a sucky flash player which on modern browsers needs to be manually unblocked, but even if you don't care it's a nice guitar gallery.

Here's my contributions, this

https://soundcloud.com/zeekat/juno-what

made quite a long time ago on this:

Original Mayones, made before Mayones stopped trying to compete with imports and focused on luxury guitars market. It was the bottom tier stuff, priced around the low end Squiers, but pretty nice with Schaller tuners and a roller nut. Pretty unknown stuff abroad I guess, I've seen post accusing one of the original 90s models of being a Chinese knockoff.

BTW, Mayones history stretches at least to early 70s when it was made to order by a couple of guys in Gdansk - obviously it was practically impossible to buy a Fender or Gibson guitar here (nowhere to buy and worth couple of lifetimes in Polish money). In general history of early industry here is pretty mental, with luthiers making their own hardware and pickups out of neccesity, materials obtained in most unlikely places etc.

Also posted this:

https://soundcloud.com/zeekat/over-the-horizon

Made on this:

Which is actually also Mayones, from the transitional period when they started to shift into original designs, so the copy guitars were moved to "Flame" brand, which is closed now and kinda removed from the company's history.

Compilation is mostly made of heavy songs, which painfully showed me how weak I sound next to it. Aside of playing quality - everything else is soooo much louder. That's what you get for being careful with limiters
Old 12-04-2018, 02:16 AM   #2
smueske

Hey, I really dig this! Sounds great. I wish the leads were a little louder / more isolated, but the sound and vibe is really good! Thanks for posting.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
zeekat

First one was made in 2008, I probably make it a bit different now. Altought checking back to back with newer recordings there's surprisingly minor progress. I a) suck b) achieved absolute perfection right from the start.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
karbomusic

I can't listen until later tonight when I get home but those guitars look really cool.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
Glennbo

Catchy riff right off the bat! Veddy cool mon!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:39 AM   #6
karbomusic

I listened a few times all the way through and this sounds great - it's a treat to "rewind" and listen again and again. It also sounds like a lot of work went into it, especially if you did all this yourself so respect. I know my guys would dig it so I'll try to share with them. Keep up the great work.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #7
ieso

Sounds good, Zeekat

Love that synth sound.

The first track you linked to reminds me of Aliensporebomb -- who hangs out at one of the Roland forums. I thought there might be a chance you knew of him. I'll post a link to your song in my forum and maybe he's familiar with your work. He'd love it.

And thanks for that mini-Mayones history. I've heard of the brand before but didn't know much beyond that.

IE
ieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:13 AM   #8
OpIvy

This sounds awesome....and very well played as usual.
I hardly ever comment on here these days but I do listen to most of your tunes and they kick ass. Love to be able to play some of those puzzling space leads!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:25 AM   #9
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieso View Post
The first track you linked to reminds me of Aliensporebomb -- who hangs out at one of the Roland forums. I thought there might be a chance you knew of him. I'll post a link to your song in my forum and maybe he's familiar with your work. He'd love it.
Don't know the guy - went to the bandcamp and he does sound like kindred spirit a bit. I overdosed Ozric Tentacles and now can hardly live without having guitars joined with synth/ambienty bits. Thanks for pointing me to him! This is some buyable bandcamp content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieso View Post
And thanks for that mini-Mayones history. I've heard of the brand before but didn't know much beyond that.
There was a 70s model on a local auction site recently, someone bought it for pennies. Identical to the one used in this '74 clip of Polish prog shredders SBB(bass guitar is made by Mayones too by the way):

Old 12-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #10
Jorgen

Well done, good sounds. This style was pretty big over here in the 1970's... different groove perhaps back then, but the idea behind it all seems familiar.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
zeekat

Took me embarassing amount of time to actually learn my country had prog bands in the 70s. I probably thought they weren't permitted or something.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #12
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Took me embarassing amount of time to actually learn my country had prog bands in the 70s. I probably thought they weren't permitted or something.
It was a tough time, indeed. Very political over here. A kind of rural aesthetics in clothing, recordings that sounded homegrown, a little Marx, a little Mao, a little farming, a little new age, a bit of free love, the works. Somehow we survived and moved on.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #13
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
It was a tough time, indeed. Very political over here. A kind of rural aesthetics in clothing, recordings that sounded homegrown, a little Marx, a little Mao, a little farming, a little new age, a bit of free love, the works. Somehow we survived and moved on.
I'm wading through a 800 page book on local alternative culture - interesting observation, that the west did the alternative scene because everything around was too abdundant and too pretty while the east (as in iron curtain east) did it because everything was bleak and there was nothing available in stores. Oddly, the end result for both ended up quite similar.

But that's probably because the east was aping the west