Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-29-2017, 06:30 AM   #41
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff-h3o View Post
A long time ago I got hold of a 2 manual organ. and had the following idea. As it wouldn't fit into our chapel I wanted to build as in the sketch below.
We live in a touristy place and a steam train chuffs up the valley fairly regularly. When it kets near it has a really loud toot toot! I would open the roof of my lovely glass organ house and reply with magnbificent thundreous chords that would re-echo round the valley. Toot toot! the train would say, me too! (Sorry,been watching too much Thomas the Tank). Unfortunately we had just moved in to a derelict chapel and my wife pointed out that we hadden't got any bedrooms,bathroom or kitchen and in her opinion they came first.... So it never happened but I would love to hear that sound; you don't need a cathederal just a valley :-)

(It was sensible and grounded really- the pond was to be our soakaway.)
Cool idea! Maybe you'll get the chance yet. Do you still have the organ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Wow! Is it VST3 compatible?
LOL! There's nothing even slightly 'virtual' about this beast!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Yeah, no doubt with full MIDI 0-127 dynamics, polyphonic aftertouch and Windows 10 certificate.
MIDI... Hmmm... could be done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
DOOR! You mean this thing moves?

I thought it was a wall!
LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanofoz View Post
Congrats Dave. I'm sure this will consume a large part of your life... Very enjoyably.

On the internet no-one can see you smile...
Thanks Alan.
It will certainly consume a large part of my studio!
Quote:
Originally Posted by run_esc View Post
Incredible score there, I got to play the one in a big local cathedral once, what a thrill. Enjoy.
I will do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
First thing go out & get a Gator bag for it, so it doesn't get banged-up in between gigs.
LOL!! ....and a semi and roadies to move it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I once tried (some 100 years ago), and I remember it was hard, as the sound-wave- latency it introduced was a lot worse than the digital latency my currant live setup done with master keyboards, Reaper and multiple plugins features.

-Michael
I was actually quite surprised that the latency wasn't too noticeable when I played this one. Even the pedals responded quite quickly. It has a decent wind motor which seems to be more than capable of sounding the lowest footage of the low C pedal very quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Get well soon Dave.
I'm on the mend. Got an annoying cough at the moment but using plenty of Manuka honey, apple cider vinegar, colloidal silver, Amol and cough mixture. This thing will be history soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
Great acquisition, but I doubt if you'll take it to many gigs.

When you get it up and running, post us a tune.

Cheers,

SR
I'll definitely be posting recordings of it once it is here and running... and no, this is most definitely not a gigging instrument! Strictly studio only at this stage.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:39 PM   #42
Kvebbs

Congrats! You'll be taking it on the road, I trust? Haha
Kvebbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #43
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
. The lowest ranks are 16'.
The lowest 16'pipe is bound to be 16' long or 8' if it's a "gedackt" one.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #44
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
I was actually quite surprised that the latency wasn't too noticeable when I played this one. Even the pedals responded quite quickly. It has a decent wind motor which seems to be more than capable of sounding the lowest footage of the low C pedal very quickly.
I suppose the mechanics were decently fast, but it was a really big church room and the pipes were very high above the keyboard, so the sound waves needed to travel from the pipes through the length of the church to be reflected and travel back to the players ears. After that the reverb delayed the note-off events multiple seconds.
I am perfectly unable to play a pedal bass

Last edited by mschnell; 07-29-2017 at 11:07 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #45
ajawamnet

Default Pipe Organ controls is where Solid State Logic started..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_State_Logic#History

Back in the day when I was doing sound at Carnegie Music Hall in pittsburgh (the main hall oakland

- http://press.cmoa.org/wp-content/upl...2-1024x682.jpg )

i recall seeing one of the SSL pipe organ guys there working on something. Mentioned something about the consoles.

Didn't go over well with him - I guess the pipe organ guys were being a bit overshadowed by all the fuss over the 4000's at the time.

I guess they sold off the pipe organ stuff in 2002 - a few years before Gabriel and crew bought them...
ajawamnet is offline   Reply With Quote