Old 08-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
T-tone
Human being with feelings

Default Some how to questions?

First: I bought EZdrummer along with EZX Electric and when I add the new midi item I hear it just fine but when I try to record the loops I got nothing. How do I get reaper to record the loops?

Second: I also bought Antares Autotune so I could have T-Pain FX but not understanding to apply the FX just to certain parts of the vocal track. When I try it adds FX to the whole track.

I'm use to old school Cool Edit and you just scroll and left click the part which highlights what you wanna edit and right click and it goes to edit mode. Unfortunately my Cool Edit version doesn't support VSTi. So I thought I'd give Reaper a try, but I can't wrap my head around how to navigate.
T-tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
EvilDragon

You need to either use EZD's MIDI beats (you can drag&drop them on the track which has EZD loaded in), or you need to create a new MIDI item and punch in your beats manually (or record over MIDI).

About applying FX to only a part of audio, you should use item FX instead of track FX. Like this:

1. Select the item you want to apply the FX on
2. Select the portion of audio you want to apply the FX on (use time selection)
3. Run action "Split at time selection", search the Actions list for it
4. Now you'll have the portion selected as its own item. Press Ctrl+E (IIRC, that's the default shortcut) to add item FX to the item. Choose your poison.
(5.) You can also activate media item icons in Properties->Appearance, select ALL checkboxes except "Properties (resample only)", and you will have a small "fx" icon on every item. Click it to load FX on an item!

Also Reaper has its own pitch shifting effect which works the same as AT (shudder), it's called ReaTune. You may have wasted your money.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
T-tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You need to either use EZD's MIDI beats (you can drag&drop them on the track which has EZD loaded in), or you need to create a new MIDI item and punch in your beats manually (or record over MIDI).

About applying FX to only a part of audio, you should use item FX instead of track FX. Like this:

1. Select the item you want to apply the FX on
2. Select the portion of audio you want to apply the FX on (use time selection)
3. Run action "Split at time selection", search the Actions list for it
4. Now you'll have the portion selected as its own item. Press Ctrl+E (IIRC, that's the default shortcut) to add item FX to the item. Choose your poison.
(5.) You can also activate media item icons in Properties->Appearance, select ALL checkboxes except "Properties (resample only)", and you will have a small "fx" icon on every item. Click it to load FX on an item!

Also Reaper has its own pitch shifting effect which works the same as AT (shudder), it's called ReaTune. You may have wasted your money.
Okay drag and drop sounds easy enough for EZdrummer, cool thanks.
Question 2, Seems more to do just for a selective portion of audio compared to Cool Edit, but hey it supports VSTi more then I can say for Cool Edit.
Didn't know Reaper had Reatune oh well live and learn should have came here first.
Anyway thanks a million for the informitive reply much appreciated.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
EvilDragon

Question 2 is really easy, in fact, if you do some preparation. For example, install the free SWS extension, and in there you have one command that's very useful, it's called:

"SWS: Split items at time sel (if exists), else at edit cursor"

Bind that action to the "S" key (overwrite the regular "Split items" action). Now whenever you have a selected item and a time selection, you will split the selected item(s) at the time selection.

If you also activate the media item icons as I suggested, you can do this in 3 easy steps, not unlike in CoolEdit. Watch this GIF:

[img]http://a.**************/img839/9155/quick.gif[/img]

Last edited by EvilDragon; 08-08-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
hopi

ED not sure but think he needs one more help... I think he wants to record the ouptut of the VSTi to an audio track, so he gets a wav file.

IF that is the case, and you have done with ED said, which is to have the midi files on the track that triggers EZ Drummer, then solo that track, make a time selection for the length of that track, and render it....

Hopefully you have already set up a project folder and have done a save as to copy all the media into that folder. So when you render, you can check the box at the bottom of the render dialog to 'Add items to new tracks in project when finished"...

This will give you an audio file, [wav file] of the drum part.

At this point, you can remove the EZ Drummer with it's midi track but ONLY IF you are done with it...

At the least, solo the newly made audio file and see whatcha got... and don't forget to save again.

Now, there could be more, IF you wanted to get separate audio tracks for each of the drum kit parts, like one for the Kick, one for the Snare, etc.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
T-tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Question 2 is really easy, in fact, if you do some preparation. For example, install the free SWS extension, and in there you have one command that's very useful, it's called:

"SWS: Split items at time sel (if exists), else at edit cursor"

Bind that action to the "S" key (overwrite the regular "Split items" action). Now whenever you have a selected item and a time selection, you will split the selected item(s) at the time selection.

If you also activate the media item icons as I suggested, you can do this in 3 easy steps, not unlike in CoolEdit. Watch this GIF:

[img]http://a.**************/img839/9155/quick.gif[/img]
Awesome dude, the pics of "how to" definitely worth more then a thousands words plus way less to type. You rule bro thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
T-tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
ED not sure but think he needs one more help... I think he wants to record the ouptut of the VSTi to an audio track, so he gets a wav file.

IF that is the case, and you have done with ED said, which is to have the midi files on the track that triggers EZ Drummer, then solo that track, make a time selection for the length of that track, and render it....

Hopefully you have already set up a project folder and have done a save as to copy all the media into that folder. So when you render, you can check the box at the bottom of the render dialog to 'Add items to new tracks in project when finished"...

This will give you an audio file, [wav file] of the drum part.

At this point, you can remove the EZ Drummer with it's midi track but ONLY IF you are done with it...

At the least, solo the newly made audio file and see whatcha got... and don't forget to save again.

Now, there could be more, IF you wanted to get separate audio tracks for each of the drum kit parts, like one for the Kick, one for the Snare, etc.
How would one go about get separate drum parts?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
hopi

Quote:
How would one go about get separate drum parts?
ah funny you should ask.. It's really tricky... no, no... it's too easy...

play your midi track and open the EZD drummer mixer ...solo the kick... now render out that to a new audio file...

next, solo just the two snares... render that out...

same for whatever else you want... just listen first as you play the trak from the midi to find out what pieces in the drum kit you want to solo....

You could also just mute the ones you don't want... of course you can also adjust the in the EZ Drummer mixer...

Too easy [EZ] right?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
T-tone

Quote:
ah funny you should ask.. It's really tricky... no, no... it's too easy...

play your midi track and open the EZD drummer mixer ...solo the kick... now render out that to a new audio file...

next, solo just the two snares... render that out...

same for whatever else you want... just listen first as you play the trak from the midi to find out what pieces in the drum kit you want to solo....

You could also just mute the ones you don't want... of course you can also adjust the in the EZ Drummer mixer...

Too easy [EZ] right?
I'm dragging and dropping the EZ drummer midi files into just a midi track.
Then rendering. Tired what you posted but no luck. Maybe not as easy you claim. Keep in mind I don't have a KB with midi or a midi controller so all I can do is drag and drop as ED suggested.
Every thing else as suggested works great.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-tone View Post
Keep in mind I don't have a KB with midi or a midi controller so all I can do is drag and drop as ED suggested.
You can also enter your beats by hand (mouse) in the MIDI editor
Old 08-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
BobM

Open FX window

right click on drum prog

Scroll down to and click, 'Build Multi channel routing for output of selected FX"

confirm "Build routing Confirmation"

Open Mixer in EZD

Click on "Track" and change to 'Multichannel"

Drag you Midi into the FX track

Create folder for all drum tracks if you like..
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
T-tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Open FX window

right click on drum prog

Scroll down to and click, 'Build Multi channel routing for output of selected FX"

confirm "Build routing Confirmation"

Open Mixer in EZD

Click on "Track" and change to 'Multichannel"

Drag you Midi into the FX track

Create folder for all drum tracks if you like..

Thanks a million
Old 08-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
hopi

T-Tone... I made you something that maybe of help

there is a little readme and a jpeg inside the project folder...

it's on the stash for download here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/5828/EZ%20Drummer%20PROOF.rar

Everything being said trying to help is basically right... but what is not mentioned is controlling the EZ Drummer Mixer and it's set up....
You can do the automatic create multitracks via reaper until you are blue, and still not get track separation if you don't set up the EZ Drummer Mixer...
Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #14
T-tone

Quote:
T-Tone... I made you something that maybe of help

there is a little readme and a jpeg inside the project folder...

it's on the stash for download here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/5828/EZ%20Drummer%20PROOF.rar

Everything being said trying to help is basically right... but what is not mentioned is controlling the EZ Drummer Mixer and it's set up....
You can do the automatic create multitracks via reaper until you are blue, and still not get track separation if you don't set up the EZ Drummer Mixer...
I don't what to say? you folks here are way to cool and I appreciate the all the help.
Oh yea I down loaded the attachment and thanks bro.

Last edited by T-tone; 08-09-2010 at 10:34 PM.