Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #481
richie43
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by godly View Post
Nah, I don't see any probs with it, it's even delivered as a zip file, so no install, just run it. Works fine for me.
I'm just doubting to switch my live windows 8.1 pc to W10.
Now my 8.1 restarts in 3.8 sec, that's as fast as a Tesla !!! ;-)

I have W10 on my desktop and the restart is as fast or rather as slow as my W7. What are your experiences Richie?
My experience with Windows 10 on 2 production computers has been awesome. Restart time is a little slower, but that does not bother me at all. It doesn't really tell me anything relevant about the OS, as far as I am concerned.
But for the record, I am still saying that I would stay far away from any app that tweaks the OS for me. You may be sorry when you encounter problems later and have a hard time diagnosing them. Ok, I'll get off my soap-box now...
Old 08-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #482
SmajjL

You guys just gave me the idea of sharing my darker Windows10 theme for those who want it.
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1630/Windows10Dark.zip
Ps, no, I don't suffer from dark humor and you can trust me!

Edit:

& you have it in writing!
Anyway, the Windows 8 themes can be used on 10 and tweaked in Notepad++ (if that turns anyone on..) but you can't open a saved (classic) Windows 10 in Notepad++ and tweak.
They seem to really really don't want me to tweak on 10 easy.. what an ass...thing to do. (yes I take it personal)

Last edited by SmajjL; 08-26-2015 at 07:35 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #483
msore

Default antiprivacy is standard

Quote:
With the July release of its Windows 10 operating system, Microsoft has made the border between using your computer and using other peoples’ computers blurrier than ever before. Privacy advocates are warning about a host of default settings that make automatic sharing of data the new normal — from your voice and typing patterns to unique machine IDs that help advertisers identify, track and target you with personalized ads, even on your device’s lock screen. Basically, all the privacy worries of your smartphone and Web browser are now a regular part of a major desktop operating system.
http://america.aljazeera.com/opinion...not-a-bug.html
Old 08-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #484
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
You guys just gave me the idea of sharing my darker Windows10 theme for those who want it.
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1630/Windows10Dark.zip
Ps, no, I don't suffer from dark humor and you can trust me!

Edit:

& you have it in writing!
Anyway, the Windows 8 themes can be used on 10 and tweaked in Notepad++ (if that turns anyone on..) but you can't open a saved (classic) Windows 10 in Notepad++ and tweak.
They seem to really really don't want me to tweak on 10 easy.. what an ass...thing to do. (yes I take it personal)
I like the fact that you were able to alter so much - but the colors remind me of ketchup and mustard on a grey picnic table..

is there a way to tweak those colors a bit?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #485
dea-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
is there a way to tweak those colors a bit?
Dropping acid or taking 'shrooms may help.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #486
SmajjL

Yes, I am using the tool from post #448.
About the recent topic here, I have not got any virus hits with Comodo on That one and I am Blocking it with the FW on purpose because it would like to 'update' FYI.
Up to you, and this is why I chose to share my current enviroment which is a compromize as usual for most things to work visually, still not perfect but way better than 10's options.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #487
C-H

Default Great upgrade.

I've only good things to say about the free Win7(64) to Win10(64) upgrade.
Did the upgrade about a week ago and it went smooth as silk. The interface is simple, flat, sleek and fast.

The absolute best thing is that the computer runs faster..... literally.
It is a Toshiba Ultrabook (Portege Z935-P300) with an Intel Core i5-3317U rated at 1.7GHz.
With the speed setting set to 'Performance' under Win7 it was rarely over clocked but it happened.
With Win10 it is basically always running at 130-145% nominal speed.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:31 AM   #488
Nystagmus

I wouldn't upgrade unless Windows 7 support is completely gone and you need it. I don't think that point has happened yet, has it?

Since you are concerned about the driver support, I'd research that from now until the time you do upgrade at some point in the future.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:13 AM   #489
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-H View Post
With Win10 it is basically always running at 130-145% nominal speed.
Sounds like an overclocking, that will reduce the lifetime of your CPU drastically.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #490
C-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Sounds like an overclocking, that will reduce the lifetime of your CPU drastically.
It's intel 'approved' so it'll probably be fine. It doesn't run hot.
Just saying Win10 seems to be utilizing the Intel speedstep better than Win7.
Dropping back to the normal power scheme and the speed drops back again.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #491
Stringer

Win 10 may be great, but I am put off by the way Microsoft is behaving. I have removed the "Get Windows 10" update from my Win 7 machine three times. There is a list of four or five updates that I keep hiding and Microsoft keeps reissuing that deal with "telemetry," "upgrading Windows Update," "preparing Win 7 for upgrade" etc. Some of these come prechecked for installation, and if you uncheck them without hiding them, they will check themselves again. If you search on "Windows 10 forced upgrade" you will encounter several articles (Ars Technica is probably the best). Microsoft also issued a gibberish update that they later claimed was a mistake. They also claim that the self-checking "important" updates were a mistake, but since they were issued several times, that seems doubtful. Remember that in Windows 10, updates are not optional. At some point they will probably issue an update that modifies Win 7 so that updates can no longer be hidden. Everything will be installed, mistakes and all.

If you want to know what an update does, "more information" doesn't tell you much. You have to search on each update on the web to see if you can safely install it.

This is no longer just about privacy issues. It is about having control of your computer. It is also about trust. Microsoft does not seem to be telling the truth about much of anything these days. Satya Nadella's goal may be for us to love Microsoft, but this is a bad relationship.

I am happily running Linux Mint. If Win 10 runs on your hardware without problems and you don't care about forced updates or privacy, you are doing what Microsoft wants and they will probably leave you alone. If you are trying to keep Win 7 on your machine, it is becoming very amusing to try. Do you really want to deal with a company that does this kind of stuff? Apple and Google are at least polite about it.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #492
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Win 10 may be great, but I am put off by the way Microsoft is behaving. I have removed the "Get Windows 10" update from my Win 7 machine three times.
Time to get a Mac!

No wait, Apple is doing that too. Well, they're not downloading in the background, but the next OS update is pretty much rammed in your throat anyways.

Linux? BSD? Qubes?
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #493
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Time to get a Mac!

No wait, Apple is doing that too.
But in Yosemite deactivating the spyware features works, in Win 10 it doesn't.

Quote:
Well, they're not downloading in the background, but the next OS update is pretty much rammed in your throat anyways.
El Capitan is a disaster again, causing tons of incompatibilities. These yearly upgrades are a nightmare!

Quote:
Linux? BSD? Qubes?
Ubuntu showed, that it's just a matter of time, until the only way to stay safe is to stay offline .... privacy is lost everywhere, even on Linux.

Not astonishing, when the sheeps are crying "we have nothing to hide", when they walk to the shambles. But I'm shocked, that even experts don't discuss risks for enterprise IT.

Chris

Last edited by Aymara; 10-18-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #494
msore

The more tech companies shit on privacy and consumer rights,
the more political their agendas become,
and the more politically pissed off consumers will get.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #495
DottorPepper

All is fine here, Core I3, 4 gigs ram, upgraded from 7, no fresh installation, Line6 KB37. A little problem in the beginning, midi input not working, each time had to disconnect and reconnect the usb to make it work, but it was a driver problem. Line6 upgraded drivers to 10 after a little while and now works as usual. No one problem with any plugin I use and Passmark tests show about 10% score improvement compared to 7, so for me 10 is a win(ner) :-)
DottorPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #496
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msore View Post
The more tech companies shit on privacy and consumer rights,
the more political their agendas become,
and the more politically pissed off consumers will get.
I don't know. Microsoft's behavior has caused some people to switch to Apple and some to switch to Linux, but I think most Windows users will just continue happily on using Windows 10. It seems to me that most of the people complaining about Windows 10 are old guys like me who have been using computers for a long, long time. Microsoft is not interested in the grumpy old techie guy demographic.

IT people supporting enterprise systems do seem to be a bit ticked off by the mandatory updates in Win 10, but that is in part because it will likely eliminate their jobs, though only if Microsoft is competent enough not to distribute enterprise-wrecking updates, which so far is doubtful.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #497
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
But in Yosemite deactivating the spyware features works, in Win 10 it doesn't.
It doesn't work in OSX either. Unless you manually disable certain kexts. And these get reenabled after every system update. It's somewhat less aggressive, but basically the same.

Quote:
El Capitan is a disaster again, causing tons of incompatibilities. These yearly upgrades are a nightmare!
No it isn't. Yosemite was far worse. The only problem now is old software. Old kexts that no longer get loaded. If they are part of a framework, other parts might start loading and fail, sometimes with a system crash as a result. That's something Apple can't test for.

Quote:
Ubuntu showed, that it's just a matter of time, until the only way to stay safe is to stay offline .... privacy is lost everywhere, even on Linux.
In Linux, it's systemd that is obfuscating every entry and exit to the kernel, network... Fortunately, there's still BSD.

Quote:
Not astonishing, when the sheeps are crying "we have nothing to hide", when they walk to the shambles. But I'm shocked, that even experts don't discuss risks for enterprise IT.
There's no ROI on security. IT professionals have been silenced by the share holders. And we know who they are...
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #498
chip mcdonald

Finally did it on my audio machine at home.

Seems painless so far, except...

VST menus take forever to draw.

When I open a project with, say, Slate drums with the menu already open/pinned, Reaper draws the menu box, but it greys out and says (not responding) for almost 15-20 seconds.

"....?"