• * Includes branch: optimized FX preset management
  • * Includes branch: 2nd pass render
  • * Includes feature branch: per-chain PDC mode and overhaul/optimization
  • * Includes feature branch: razor editing
  • + Envelopes: fix lag in display of value text
  • + MIDI editor: add undo state when editing MIDI event properties
  • + MIDI: support RIFF-based MIDI files [t=246816]
  • + Media explorer: add action to calculate peak volume for media files
  • + Media explorer: add action to re-read metadata from media files to action list
  • + Media explorer: add options to normalize preview volume and/or normalize volume when inserting media
  • + Media explorer: don't search bit depth/bitrate/length metadata
  • + Media explorer: prevent writing multiple ID3 tags to .wav files
  • + Media items: don't reset manual fades when editing item contents with autocrossfade enabled [t=239815]
  • + Metadata: fix decoding very large BWF start offset values [p=2380383]
  • + Scrub: add actions to temporarily enable looped-segment scrubbing
  • + Track panel: show bypassed indication for embedded FX, allow shift+clicking header to toggle bypass
  • # Metadata: fix memory leak in metadata presets
  • # macOS: revert space keyboard passthrough workaround code
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
STOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
kyuseok
Human being with feelings

Media Explorer is getting better and better everyday! Thanks devs
I was just wondering if it is possible to have formant control next to pitch control in Media Explorer and Media Item Properties.. It would be very awesome when dealing with samples in need of transposing!
kyuseok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOP View Post
+ Media explorer: add action to calculate peak volume for media files
+ Media explorer: add options to normalize preview volume and/or normalize volume when inserting media
Wow, christmas came early this year I tested it with one-shots and it does make quite a difference. Amazing stuff... thx!
Old 12-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
mccrabney

Quote:
+ Media explorer: add action to calculate peak volume for media files
nice, thanks. peaks built ahead of time is a big time saver for anyone browsing a lot of long media files. i hope to use actions like this one to eventually have a folder that REAPER monitors for new files, building peaks in the background as they are added.

i tried the action in a few ways and it's great, but i found that it didn't save me as much time as i hoped. here's why:

0- it works as expected on audio files, but not folders/subfolders of content: catalogs, sample libraries, or sorted footage. this means that you can't set a big peak-building job and walk away unless all of your incoming material is in 1 folder and can be ctrl-A'd -- in which case, you may as well have dragged all content into the Arrange screen, where you wouldn't be locked in place by the "peak volume calculating" window.

1- it rebuilds peaks that already exist if you select a mix of new files and pre-calculated files. it might be nice to optionally skip the ones that already exist - and/or

2- to allow peak calculation to happen in the background, like it does when media is bulk-added to a project, rather than locking REAPER until the peaks are done being created.

i do think it's funny that the "peak volume" calculating % window flashes sternly at you if you try to click away, because i definitely did.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #5
Denys

Hello devs, I'm sorry to bother you again with this but while you are working on Media Explorer, could you tell me if spectral view for the Media Explorer is something you could add easily?

As a sound designer, it can be very useful to visually spot problems on long sounds (for example a bird song on a long ambience recording can't be noticed without the spectral view).

Sorry again, and thank you for the love you give to the Media Explorer!
Old 12-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
musicbynumbers

+ Media explorer: add options to normalize preview volume and/or normalize volume when inserting media

This is great thanks.

I can't help but think an option based on user set (in prefs) RMS average would be more useful though?

If not too much of a pain to do!
Old 12-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #7
dangguidan

+ Freeze: disable track playback offset when freezing, re-enabled when unfreezing

This action is still not fixed. When the offset is negative, the offset of the frozen track is not cancelled.
It is recommended to bypass offset when freezing. There is no need to change the offset setting of the track, that is to say, after freezing, the offset value can be adjusted. No matter unfreezing or freezing, the playback result will not be affected.
dangguidan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:32 PM   #8
Zmey79

Default 2th Pass Render

Hi!
When using this function (which I have been waiting for a very long time and thank you for it!), when rendering, the loops are obtained with a shift, not even on the grid. This should not be, everything should be the same size as the mesh without any shifts and other things.
Thank you.
Den.
Zmey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:06 AM   #9
sonicowl

In media explorer preview, now we have snap to transients. Would it make sense to also have option to snap to internal grid of loops? When loop is previewed, sometimes I want to quickly loop just part of it, exactly on grid - snap to internal loop grid would make this very easy.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:19 AM   #10
mlprod

Metadata presets are great, thanks!
Old 12-23-2020, 04:56 AM   #11
ramses

Quote:
+ Media explorer: add action to calculate peak volume for media file
Could we have RMS-versions of these actions as well? It would be very useful, for example when previewing reference mixes, or comparing versions of mixes.

>>EDIT<< Oops, saw musicbynumbers already had the same idea. Great idea, musicbynumbers! >>ENDEDIT<<
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:38 AM   #12
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmey79 View Post
Hi!
When using this function (which I have been waiting for a very long time and thank you for it!), when rendering, the loops are obtained with a shift, not even on the grid. This should not be, everything should be the same size as the mesh without any shifts and other things.
Thank you.
Den.
Could you be more specific? If it's possible to post or email us a small project that demonstrates the issue that would be ideal.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #13
_Stevie_

Hmm, did something with MIDI items change?
I get the notches when changing the length of a MIDI item, meaning, the All Notes Off event is not updated to the new length:

Old 12-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #14
mccrabney

^ confirmed

the notch "walks" with the midi items as they are extended due to incoming midi (blue track) and for whatever reason the purple midi item extends below.

mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #15
_Stevie_

Wow okay, now that looks really funny
Old 12-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #16
musicbynumbers

Not sure if this is what you mean but here's an explanation and possible solution if this is what you mean

I found it loops fine unless you are using any effect with phase shifting (like minimal phase EQ) etc.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=18

Quote:
Hi!
Thank you.
Den.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #17
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
Could we have RMS-versions of these actions as well? It would be very useful, for example when previewing reference mixes, or comparing versions of mixes.

>>EDIT<< Oops, saw musicbynumbers already had the same idea. Great idea, musicbynumbers! >>ENDEDIT<<
Just seems a lot more useful since peaks don't mean anything volume wise and are only really good for not clipping or optimising full level etc but at the point when we are putting in audio into a project. RMS seems more sensible.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #18
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denys View Post
Hello devs, I'm sorry to bother you again with this but while you are working on Media Explorer, could you tell me if spectral view for the Media Explorer is something you could add easily?

As a sound designer, it can be very useful to visually spot problems on long sounds (for example a bird song on a long ambience recording can't be noticed without the spectral view).

Sorry again, and thank you for the love you give to the Media Explorer!
Personally, Spectral view would first need to be tweaked so that all the important fundamental frequencies are not squashed up at the bottom as it makes using it very difficult and nearly impossible to see what's in it.

(unless that got tweaked and I missed it)?
Old 12-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #19
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I get the notches when changing the length of a MIDI item, meaning, the All Notes Off event is not updated to the new length
+1 Also confirmed. Something screwy is going on here.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #20
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I get the notches when changing the length of a MIDI item, meaning, the All Notes Off event is not updated to the new length:
Easy way to reproduce here:
1. Insert an empty MIDI item.
2. If loop source was originally on, unselect it. If it was not on,
select and unselect it.
3. Drag the item.

This is also still there, but it's an old one:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...63&postcount=4
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #21
Vagalume

Media explorer in windows:

Devs, if it is not difficult, could you give us the option to delete MEDIA and TEMPLATE fixed shorcuts in the media explorer?

C:\Users\***\Documents\REAPER Media
C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\TrackTemplates

Last edited by Vagalume; 12-23-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #22
WyattRice

Man, you guys are really on a roll with all the Media Explorer stuff.

Please, while you are at it, could you add a way to customize the right click menu when you right click on an item in media explorer?
I wish I could add these new actions that you all have added to that menu, if at all possible.

Media: Insert into project at source preferred position (BWF start offset)
Media: Insert on a new track at source preferred position (BWF start offset)
These two actions would indeed come in handy in the "insert in selected media items"
As, I get many files and takes from other musicians, and sometimes they send solos, takes, that are not rendered from the beginning of the project, but have the BFW info that could quickly be inserted in the project at the right place, from media explorer.

This menu:

EDIT: Also see this post

Last edited by WyattRice; 12-23-2020 at 07:02 PM.
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:39 PM   #23
Zmey79

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Could you be more specific? If it's possible to post or email us a small project that demonstrates the issue that would be ideal.
Hi.
Of course.No problem.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:05 AM   #24
Zmey79

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Not sure if this is what you mean but here's an explanation and possible solution if this is what you mean

I found it loops fine unless you are using any effect with phase shifting (like minimal phase EQ) etc.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...0&postcount=18
All this is interesting and understandable, but this should not be. Like this is not in Logic, Ableton.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E6O...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #25
schwa
Administrator

I'm not able to reproduce any problem with the project you sent, but I don't have all of the FX in the project and that is likely the issue. If you bypass all the FX in the project does the 2nd pass render work as expected? Could you possibly narrow down which FX is causing the issue?
Old 12-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #26
Zmey79

Quote:
I'm not able to reproduce any problem with the project you sent, but I don't have all of the FX in the project and that is likely the issue. If you bypass all the FX in the project does the 2nd pass render work as expected? Could you possibly narrow down which FX is causing the issue?
I delete all the effects and the problem remained the same. I'll send you a project now.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #27
schwa
Administrator

Thanks for the project. Are you rendering to a different sample rate from the project playback by any chance?
Old 12-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #28
Zmey79

Quote:
Thanks for the project. Are you rendering to a different sample rate from the project playback by any chance?
Yes, project is 48/24, render 44100/24. But in Ableton it's not a problem...
Old 12-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #29
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Yes, project is 48/24, render 44100/24. But in Ableton it's not a problem...
Try one of the different sample rate conversions in the render window.

I think any with sync interpolation should do it.

I have a feeling that if the sample rate conversion uses a minimal phase filter for it's nyquist filter then you might get the same clicks I get on loops but if you use linear phase conversion or point to point it might not do it.

Devs.. Not saying please do it now obviously but at some point a clever solution to allow us to be able to loop with plugins that phase shift would be amazing.

It would literally save us hours of looping for games as now we have to have an intermediary project to do loops which sucks
Old 12-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #30
Zmey79

Quote:
Try one of the different sample rate conversions in the render window.

I think any with sync interpolation should do it.

I have a feeling that if the sample rate conversion uses a minimal phase filter for it's nyquist filter then you might get the same clicks I get on loops but if you use linear phase conversion or point to point it might not do it.

Devs.. Not saying please do it now obviously but at some point a clever solution to allow us to be able to loop with plugins that phase shift would be amazing.

It would literally save us hours of looping for games as now we have to have an intermediary project to do loops which sucks
I tried it, doesn't work.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #31
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I tried it, doesn't work.
Latest 26th build has a potential fix.

Give that a go!
Old 12-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #32
Zmey79

Quote:
Latest 26th build has a potential fix.

Give that a go!
It's just amazing!!! Thank you!
Old 01-01-2021, 05:01 AM   #33
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOP View Post
v6.19+dev1222 - December 22 2020
  • + Track panel: show bypassed indication for embedded FX, allow shift+clicking header to toggle bypass
Great, thank you.

It was reported here:
REAPER Bug Reports > Plugin status not reflected in TCP (embedded UI)

Last edited by akademie; 01-01-2021 at 05:07 AM.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote