Old 02-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
Meo-Ada Mespotine
Human being with feelings

Default v6.24rc5 - February 22 2021

v6.24rc5 - February 22 2021
  • * Includes branch: LV2
  • * Includes branch: razor editing
  • + Envelopes: fix automation being lost when moving media items across tracks that do not have a matching FX envelope [p=2409245]
  • + Razor edit: when auto-creating FX parameter envelopes, initialize with the current parameter value [p=2409576]
  • # Razor edit: add mouse modifiers to ignore envelope type when editing (allow moving volume envelope areas to pan envelopes, etc)
  • # Razor edit: prevent flicker when moving edits across tracks and auto-displaying affected envelopes
  • # Razor edit: remove projectwide preference to move envelope razor edit areas based on envelope type
  • # Razor edit: revert delayed display of affected envelopes when moving areas across tracks
  • # Razor edit: update envelope areas in media lane when changing preference to edit envelopes with media [p=2409586]
  • # macOS: reverted Big Sur icon for being insufficiently punk rock
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode

On vacation for the time being...

Last edited by Meo-Ada Mespotine; 02-22-2021 at 05:33 PM. Reason: More Colors. All Colors Are Beautiful.
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #2
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
v6.24rc5 - February 22 2021
[*]# macOS: reverted Big Sur icon for being insufficiently punk rock
I dont use a mac but this is the best changelog entry ever

One question - Is it pretty much a done deal (accepting that all things are subject to change) that Razor Editing will be in the next release of Reaper?
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #3
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
I dont use a mac but this is the best changelog entry ever

One question - Is it pretty much a done deal (accepting that all things are subject to change) that Razor Editing will be in the next release of Reaper?
Agreed, my absolute favourite. Plus I don't like the new guide lines :P
Old 02-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #4
Dafarkias

Can there be a mouse modifier for RE that will Subtract from edit area?

Or possibly instead a mouse modifier that can contextually do both? Either add to or subtract from the edit area?

Support my feature request!
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #5
ovnis

Quote:
# Razor edit: add mouse modifiers to ignore envelope type when editing (allow moving volume envelope areas to pan envelopes, etc)
Great!

Quote:
+ Envelopes: fix automation being lost when moving media items across tracks that do not have a matching FX envelope [p=2409245]
Thx you very much!

With RE, is it possible to respect the amount of envelope points which are pasted?
"What we see is what we copy"

For exemple, if we copy/past only one automation item without envelope point, it would be nice to not to have to delete extra points which are not on the copied envelope.

Maybe an option to take into account only the envelope points + media item ?

Last edited by ovnis; 02-22-2021 at 08:05 PM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:30 AM   #6
hans

+ Envelopes: fix automation being lost when moving media items across tracks that do not have a matching FX envelope [p=2409245]

Thank you very very much! <3
hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:28 AM   #7
Triode

Really looking forward to the next release thank you marvellous devs

Quote:
[*]# macOS: reverted Big Sur icon for being insufficiently punk rock
Punk rock like the resolution of the render logo you mean?

Old 02-23-2021, 03:35 AM   #8
Vagelis

Quote:
v6.24rc5 - February 22 2021[*]# Razor edit: add mouse modifiers to ignore envelope type when editing (allow moving volume envelope areas to pan envelopes, etc)
YAYYYY!!Thank you very much devs
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:39 AM   #9
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafarkias View Post
Can there be a mouse modifier for RE that will Subtract from edit area?
Is that what you're looking for? Mouse modifiers-Razor edit area context/left click-Remove one area.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:43 AM   #10
vsgrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
Really looking forward to the next release thank you marvellous devs

Punk rock like the resolution of the render logo you mean?
I like that! Reminds me of 90s FMV games
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:58 AM   #11
Vagelis

Is that a bug? Steps to reproduce:
I'm trying to copy with the new modifier those two envelopes of the first track to the second track. While holding the modifier i'm changing to just copy to match the envelopes to the second track.

But when i'm pressing the just copy modifier above the non matching envelope of the second track, it copies this envelope to the first track as i'm still pressing the modifier, until i move it back to its place to the second track and then it disappear on the first one.
But then if i try to copy again the envelopes of the first track with the new modifier , it creates this non matching envelope of the second track to the first one.

EDIT: Also as i've noticed while holding the new modifier above some envelopes and after changing to just copy, it matches the envelopes that the mouse was over on the last pressed modifier, Wouldn't it be better to match the first selected envelopes no matter if our mouse is above others when we re changing the modifiers?

Last edited by Vagelis; 02-23-2021 at 05:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:36 AM   #12
elcalen

Coming back to LV2s again, and specifically those x42 meter plugins with un-embeddable floating GUIs, which I've talked about in prior threads, I've just noticed a new issue with them. Sometimes, if I have one of these plugins in my Monitor FX, and it's the last Monitor FX I've opened or interacted with prior to closing Reaper, when I open Reaper again, the floating GUI pops up again immediately (even though I've closed it before shutting down). (I've only been testing with Monitor FX and empty new projects, so I don't know if there's similar behaviour with regular track FX chains.)

Another more minor glitch I've seen, is that the adjustment knob on the needle meters isn't always drawn in the correct position when opening the floating GUI, but *is* drawn correctly when the floating GUI gets opened as a result of opening the plugin in the FX chain window. I dunno if this is due to a bug in the plugins themselves or an issue with how Reaper is handling these floating GUIs...
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:04 AM   #13
vidalsh

Tryed and there is some delay with screensets alternate...
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:13 AM   #14
mccrabney

Quote:
# Razor edit: add mouse modifiers to ignore envelope type when editing (allow moving volume envelope areas to pan envelopes, etc)
nice, this is so much better than a toggle for doing these (in my scenario, infrequent but convenient) inter-envelope AI movements.

if only "move envelope points with items/razor edits" could get the same type of modifier treatment. if i learned that there was good reason why this can't happen, i'd never mention it again, but every toggle is a reminder.

i had the thought yesterday that this toggle has become Tool in a program that at one time loathed the idea of a Tool interface.

another thought was that i feel like i'm writing a paper using the caps lock key to make all capitalizations instead of the shift key.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:23 AM   #15
mccrabney

here's something new: if you start with an empty track, with envelopes shown in media lane, "toggle X envelope active" doesn't do anything.

yesterday, it would either create a (too small! at doubletempo, at least) AI at edit cursor, or, if you were inside an time selection, it would create a TS-wide AI.

Last edited by mccrabney; 02-23-2021 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:07 AM   #16
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Wouldn't it be better to match the first selected envelopes no matter if our mouse is above others when we re changing the modifiers?
I'm not quite following this, sorry!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:16 AM   #17
PhelixK

Quote:
+ Razor edit: when auto-creating FX parameter envelopes, initialize with the current parameter value [p=2409576]
Great, works with copy/move by dragging, but still initializes the corresponding value if using shortcuts for cut/copy paste.
Maybe keep it like this to offer both options.

Quote:
Superb!

Quote:
# macOS: reverted Big Sur icon for being insufficiently punk rock
Ha ha, fair enough!
What else to expect when someone says: ’here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The ones who see things different!’
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:22 AM   #18
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I'm not quite following this, sorry!
My apologies for bad explanation/english.

Here i'm using the new modifier to copy the envelopes to the second track. While still pressing it, i'm changing to just copy modifier and i was expecting to match the first two selected envelopes of the first track to the second track.
But while i was moving the mouse i pressed the just copy modifier above the volume envelope of the first track, which as a result it copied the volume envelope of the first track to the second and didn't match the first two selected envelopes (Reaeq freq low and Reacomp wet)

Wouldnt it be better to only match the first selection of the envelopes we made, even if we change to copy modifier when the mouse is above an envelope that was not included at first selection? Arghh hope makes sense

Last edited by Vagelis; 02-23-2021 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #19
_Stevie_

Sorry, I’m lost as well. From the GIF it’s really hard to tell what you are doing.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:01 AM   #20
ovnis

Quote:
The old behavior has an interest?! Which one? It destroys the plug parameters!

Quote:
Inconsistency is not great.

Last edited by ovnis; 02-23-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:04 AM   #21
Dafarkias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Is that what you're looking for? Mouse modifiers-Razor edit area context/left click-Remove one area.
Not quite.

Look at this behavior:

If there was a Subtract from edit area or a Add/Subtract from/to edit area contextually mouse modifier, the result of the gif ^^^ would look something like this:

Support my feature request!
Dafarkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:05 AM   #22
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Sorry, I’m lost as well. From the GIF it’s really hard to tell what you are doing.
I think the problem is that while holding the new modifier to move those envelopes where i want and then pressing the normal copy modifier, it doesn't respect my first selection of the envelopes i made. On the contrary it copy the volume envelope since my mouse was above the volume envelope when i changed to normal copy areas modifier.

But I guess this happens because the selection is moving as well when i m changing to copy areas, so i might be wrong.
It would be nice though if the area could respect the first selection of envelopes and just use the normal copy modifier to match or not the envelopes to the second track.

Maybe i was confused by this behavior: I'm using the copy modifier to copy the envelopes from second track to first. When i move the selection to first track it wants to create that copy, but then i decide not to make the copy, so i'm moving it back to the second track and releasing the modifier. In the end when i'm trying to copy the envelopes from first track, it creates the previous envelope of the second track.

Last edited by Vagelis; 02-23-2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:25 AM   #23
ovnis

Quote:
+ Razor edit: when auto-creating FX parameter envelopes, initialize with the current parameter value [p=2409576]
Confirmed. With copy/past, there is an issue.

There is an issue, too, with the display of the envelope data. It should display 0,500000.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #24
deeb

when a RE Source refers to a plugin which does not exist in the target chain, could it be possible to ask user if he want's to load this plugins?

"Some values refer to plugins which don't exist in the destiny track(s)
Do you want to load a plugin image from them?

yes load / proceed anyway
"

I know it's a lot! but just saying who knows ..
/me auto slaps

Last edited by deeb; 02-23-2021 at 10:34 AM. Reason: "a plugin image from"
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #25
ovnis

Very good idea.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:50 AM   #26
deeb

the same concept could be achived for any RE mode, even for a single envelope holded by RE. But the way reaper is now allowing the drop is by ignoring the track/lane doesn't make this possible with this UI/UX. If instead there was a proper RE size background with : Allow! Denny like in the next images.

Not only would look more elegant, also the sound would not change until dropping and more options could come like this one in the future.

I guess is too late tho!

Old 02-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #27
denmla

Report:

Mouse modifier for left click on Razor Edit Area in case of running custom script is broken since last few RC and DEV releases.

I reverted to build from Jan 14th and it works again.

Can somebody confirm?
denmla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #28
Edgemeal

@ denmla Confirmed: (Win10 x64)
I tried running simple script that displays message in console window from Razor Edit area - Left Click - Control+Alt keys, script doesn't run in RC5, but it does run when I tried dev0205, I didn't try other versions so no clue where it broke.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #29
schwa
Administrator

Can you share a script that has this problem please?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #30
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
Confirmed. With copy/past, there is an issue.

There is an issue, too, with the display of the envelope data. It should display 0,500000.
I agree, inserting automation with RE should be same as when moved, and I prefer the new behavior (no init). If I need the default value in the lane, it can be reset before the area is inserted.

– from your example, it looks as if Reaper doesn't update the readout value. I'm unable to reproduce, also tried using the same fx.

PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #31
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Can you share a script that has this problem please?
Just a simple test script,
Code:
local ver = 'REAPER v' .. reaper.GetAppVersion() .. "\n"
reaper.ShowConsoleMsg(ver)
Tested again, Works in dev0205, Doesn't work in rc5 (clean install, all default settings) Win10 x64
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:06 PM   #32
mabian

Reposting from 6.24rc3 thread - issue confirmed and now with attached test project (also sent an email to support).

Possible regression alert: ctrl-drag MIDI item with snap offset to make a copy -> the copy does *not* preserve snap offset.

Please note: happens only with snap on in relative mode.

https://imgur.com/a/sgdzUm2

- Mario
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Haze_test.rpp (117.5 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by mabian; 02-23-2021 at 03:11 PM.
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #33
ovnis

What do you think about that?

Green color: it's allowed
Red color: it's not allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
the same concept could be achived for any RE mode, even for a single envelope holded by RE. But the way reaper is now allowing the drop is by ignoring the track/lane doesn't make this possible with this UI/UX. If instead there was a proper RE size background with : Allow! Denny like in the next images.

Not only would look more elegant, also the sound would not change until dropping and more options could come like this one in the future.

I guess is too late tho!

Old 02-23-2021, 10:19 PM   #34
deeb

Quote:

it would ok! the most important thing is preview the target space where RE would fit, and that it's not committed until a drop (no changes while dragging around) but i still tend to prefer just an icon (allow/disallow) since otherwise there will be flashing while dragging - red/green/green/red/green/red/green/green/red/green #$%#$%#$ : )

Would be important and benefitial UX that While dragging with one modifier , example for moving, we could still change for another modifier per example for copy if we changed our mind - it happens so manny times.

This approach would be more friendly UX/UI for this and other things. Actually i don't see any advantage or benefit of current implementation for both: Visual (UI) and workflow (UX) and it is limiting the feature it self.

Last edited by deeb; 02-23-2021 at 11:12 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:24 PM   #35
Yanick

LFO frequency is not saved after restart.

I would also like to add the ability to play on the focused LFO window, that is, so that the actions from the transport work
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:32 PM   #36
deeb

Quote:

I thought a bit further:

while dragging over a not permiited place:

where was not permitted:
if we press a modifier this allow dropping anyway but asks what to do: create new plugin instance or ignore

where was permitted:
if we press a modifier this will drop but asks what to do: replace, create new plugins instances or cancel

Something like that! ...

Sorry devs , .. pictures are easy
Old 02-24-2021, 04:26 AM   #37
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
here's something new: if you start with an empty track, with envelopes shown in media lane, "toggle X envelope active" doesn't do anything.
upon starting the same dev REAPER this morning, this was behaving as expected again. i'll keep an eye on it, but i think i can retract this report until i have more info.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:15 AM   #38
rasmusmarshagen

Default Media Item Edge - mouse modifier

Devs, I love that you now recently added "Media Item Edge - mouse modifier": Create Razor Edit Area.

While you're at it, could you please please add "Marquee Zoom" too? (to "Media Item Edge - mouse modifier")

So that one can create razor edit areas AND Zoom anywhere in the arrange without interruptions. Would be absolutely wonderful.

Thank you so much!
rasmusmarshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:48 AM   #39
hans

+ Envelopes: fix automation being lost when moving media items across tracks that do not have a matching FX envelope

I still have some problems in the latest dev release, 6.25 dev 0310, with this.

Moving items with "Move Envelope Points With Media Items On" between two tracks with same track FX on (only an EQ, same slot) sometimes messes up the EQ settings.

I simply drag an item with written EQ automation over, from track 1 to track 2.

The last envelope of the EQ, which is the Low Pass envelope, goes from being all the way up on Track 1 (letting all sound through) to be placed in the middle on track 2 after it has been moved, muffling the sounds output.
This happens every now and then.

I have checked the setting that Reaper should add edge points in the envelope settings to Media Items.
Using only the drag and drop with mouse, or action Item edit: Move items/envelope points down/up one track/a bit.

Windows 10, 6.25, dev 0310.

Last edited by hans; 03-11-2021 at 08:51 AM.
hans is offline   Reply With Quote