Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-13-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
semikid
Human being with feelings

Default "KA" or "CU" sound too loud and plosive-like, but used a pop filter

Any idea on how to reduce the KA or CA sound in a song context? Plugins, tricks, etc? Eqing doesnt work well for this. The vocalist is singing "cut"
semikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
semikid

reduce the volume in these problem areas seems to be helping a lot actually. Just curious if there's other tips out there? Maybe if someone were in a big hurry to get a mix done.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #3
metal_priest

"cut" has nothing plosive...usually the "c" or the "k" could have a click issue where the "c" is too much loud or some tongue+salive noise.
In these cases i use to cut just before the spike you can see in the waveform and make a fade in just to low that spike and bring to the same level of the following sounds. You can use a item volume automation too but fadein is faster to make, just split and drag.
metal_priest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
semikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_priest View Post
"cut" has nothing plosive...usually the "c" or the "k" could have a click issue where the "c" is too much loud or some tongue+salive noise.
In these cases i use to cut just before the spike you can see in the waveform and make a fade in just to low that spike and bring to the same level of the following sounds. You can use a item volume automation too but fadein is faster to make, just split and drag.
Yeah, I know it's not a plosive, but it had a similar effect kinda haha. Yeah volume automation seems to resolve everything. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #5
ivansc

At the recording stage, get your singer to back off the mic.
Too many singers are used to "live" and SM58s which they routinely swallow.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:13 AM   #6
barrymk

Ivan is right, mic technique is all, crap in crap out. Ideally make your vocalist aware of the issue and give him/her some strategies such as moving back, turning away. 99% of the time if you kill it at source you don't have to spend time at the PC. I have a real problem with hard "C" consonants even with a pop filter when I'm singing for some reason but I can deal with it most times by just being aware of it and turning my head away from the mic at the critical time. I still have to use split/trim at times but hell nobody's perfect......
Old 07-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
jrk

You got some excellent advice there.
'k' and 't' totally *are* plosive. Nowhere as bad as 'p' and 'b' where the stop is made with the lips. Just try putting your hand in front of your mouth. I'd have thought a pop shield would do the trick, but that may depend on yr vocalist. Depending on the shape of yr mouth and teeth, you might find the puff of air is directed downwards rather. If you arrange things so the mic is above the singers mouth - this can help.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
barrymk

jrk I guarantee I can defeat any pop filter!
Old 07-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymk View Post
I can defeat any pop filter!
Ha! Well, yes, there's a lot of "idiosyncratic" voices out there. I knew a guy with dodgy dentures who would insist on doing "Crazy" (or "Crayshee" as it became known in our house).

I could fix it nowadays, but back then it was a choice between that and "craythee".
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:34 AM   #10
ivansc

"thith way to the thpeech clath"....

Mad Magazine several decades ago! Still relevant still mildy amusing.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:56 AM   #11
barrymk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
"thith way to the thpeech clath"....

Mad Magazine several decades ago! Still relevant still mildy amusing.
Fwankly that thucks
Old 07-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
semikid

Haha. Thanks guys! I totally agree with the garbage in garbage out of the recording quality, I was taught that in school xD Somehow though just volume automation seemed to fix it up and still sound pretty damn good. I'll probably still re-record it though. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #13
ivansc

Being lazy at the tracking stage pretty much guarantees you will work a LOT harder at the fixemup stage!

Speaking for myself, if I am doing a lead vocal I will do as many takes as are needed to get it 100% right the first time !
Old 07-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymk View Post
Ivan is right, mic technique is all, crap in crap out. Ideally make your vocalist aware of the issue and give him/her some strategies such as moving back, turning away. 99% of the time if you kill it at source you don't have to spend time at the PC. I have a real problem with hard "C" consonants even with a pop filter when I'm singing for some reason but I can deal with it most times by just being aware of it and turning my head away from the mic at the critical time. I still have to use split/trim at times but hell nobody's perfect......
^^^ This.

Back off the mic, go off-axis when you have to.

Also don't forget that mic screens reflect high frequencies so you'll lose a bit of top end (which may or may not be desirable).

If re-tracking isn't an option then gain automation, automated high-pass, and/or dynamic EQ can save your arse.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #15
barrymk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Being lazy at the tracking stage pretty much guarantees you will work a LOT harder at the fixemup stage!

Speaking for myself, if I am doing a lead vocal I will do as many takes as are needed to get it 100% right the first time !
For me the vocals are the most fundamentally important part of the song. They are (if properly recorded and audible) what the listener focusses on. So Ivan offers the only real solution, get it right at the mic or re-take it. Saves tears later.