Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 04-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
captainjc
Human being with feelings

Default MAC: ctrl doesn't work as modifier for mouswheel with actions

First time poster, but I've searched extensively.

This has gotta be a Mac specific bug - or maybe there's a reason for it, but I have been searching for the last hour trying to figure it out. I can set an action to the shortcut cmd+mousewheel, opt+mousewheel, shift+mousewheel, but not ctrl+mousewheel.

I can set any action to use ctrl+any letter key (I don't have it enabled as right-click in the preferences) so ctrl key is working as it should with actions, just not with the scrollwheel. Is this a bug? I'm switching from digital performer and I'm conditioned to using stretching my pinky over to that ctrl key for horizontal zoom. Would love to be able to continue doing just that...
captainjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:27 AM   #2
EpicSounds

control+mousewheel should zoom to the mouse cursor on OSX. It's a system setting (maybe) in accessibility.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
captainjc

I think you're onto something. It is a system setting in accessibility. However, it is also disabled on my machine - and by default. As well, you have the choice of assigning another modifier (cmd, opt, or cmd-opt are prefilled options, but you can use others too). All of those are assignable to actions in Reaper - and no matter whether I have it disabled or assigned to another modifier (currently cmd-opt), I still can't use ctrl-scroll in Reaper.

In fact, I don't think I mentioned it in my original post, but when I try to input ctrl-scroll into the shortcut field of the Keyboard/Midi/OSC Input window, it just shows "mousewheel" without ctrl. Even trying ctrl-opt-scroll just results in getting opt-scroll in there.

I tried setting cmd-opt-scroll to OSX zoom and then attempted to add it to reaper and, as expected, it just zooms the screen and doesn't input anything into the shortcut box. This seems like more expected behavior if you were to have ctrl-scroll active for OSX zoom. I don't see why Reaper would have to account for it at all - much less have it disabled when it's not in use by OSX.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
captainjc

BTW, Reaper Blog is great! I have enjoyed many posts.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
captainjc

Anyone else got any insight here? Still seems like a legitimate bug to me.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
captainjc

bummer
Old 04-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
Dobber

I'm having a similar issue with Windows 10 and Reaper 5.18/x64.

In my case shift, ctrl, and alt all don't work as mouse modifiers. I can use them for shortcuts (ex. ctrl-N still creates a new project), but they don't affect anything the mouse does (scroll wheel behavior, holding shift to select multiple items, etc).

I also get the same behavior you mention when setting action shortcuts - if I input "ctrl-mousewheel", it just shows "mousewheel".

It only recently started, but rolling back to v5.17 didn't fix it. I'll let you know if I come up with anything, but for now I agree: bummer
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #8
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
I'm having a similar issue with Windows 10 and Reaper 5.18/x64.

In my case shift, ctrl, and alt all don't work as mouse modifiers. I can use them for shortcuts (ex. ctrl-N still creates a new project), but they don't affect anything the mouse does (scroll wheel behavior, holding shift to select multiple items, etc).

I also get the same behavior you mention when setting action shortcuts - if I input "ctrl-mousewheel", it just shows "mousewheel".

It only recently started, but rolling back to v5.17 didn't fix it. I'll let you know if I come up with anything, but for now I agree: bummer
Windows 10 does have the inactive window scrolling feature, is it possible thats messing with your mousewheel?
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-di...dow-scrolling/
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
Dobber

Thanks Edgemeal, but that's not it - disabling the feature produced no difference in behavior.

Reaper *does* see the mousewheel, just not any modifiers.
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
captainjc

Does this (my original issue) seem like a legit bug to report? New to this, so don't want to do so if you guys don't think so.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 AM   #11
Crazy Maurice

I've wanted this to work too. Don't see why it wouldn't be a legitimate bug report. I would like to set ctrl+mousewheel to zoom vertically but cannot with Mac sadly.
Crazy Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote