Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
baseggio
Human being with feelings

Default Building a Cab IR auditioning system in Reaper

This week's crazy idea is to use Reaper to help me find my favorite Cab IRs. I've got a few speakers from Redwirez, but I'm not terribly familiar with all the mics and what the various placements will do. I've seen other software with its own built-in cabs (NI Guitar Rig, Pod Farm, etc) that can simulate moving mics, and I wanted to see if I could get something like that using Reaper's native tools.

So I grabbed a guitar track, put a guitar amp sim on it without the cab, disabled the master send, then sent that signal to a bunch of tracks. Each of these tracks had Reaverb on it with one Cab IR loaded. So maybe I'd do a set of SM57 at the CapEdge. The first track would be 0", the next 0.5", the next 1" and so on. With this setup I can solo each Cab track and it gives me a feel for moving the mic closer or farther from the speaker.

It's not bad, but it's a little clunky, and I'd like to take it to the next level. I'd like to set something up so that a slider would solo one of these tracks at each step along its travel. So at one end of the travel is the 0" track, the next notch is 0.5", all the way up to 12" at the other end of the travel.

And to take it even further, I'd like to have a second slider that would select a different set of tracks. So that would move from Cap, to CapEdge, to Cone, to ConeEdge, etc.

Is something like this possible? Automation or via JS maybe? I've got the idea, but I'm not really sure how to make it happen.
baseggio is offline   Reply With Quote