COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 11-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default duplicate.py creates folder and renames VS files but not SOURCE files?

The first time I used "duplicate.py" to clone the IPlugEffects project it worked perfectly - it created a new folder, copied, renamed and changed all the files and file text to the new project name, etc.

Tried to use it again this morning to duplicate an existing project and now it DOESN'T work. It creates a folder with the new name, copies in all the files, renames the Visual Studio files but DOES NOT rename or change the text in the project source files (Project.cpp, .h, etc.). In other words, it creates a new folder containing only SOME correctly renamed files - and none of them the source code files.

Any idea why it worked before but not now? AFAIK, I have not changed anything in my system. Ran CMD as administrator, no difference. Removed and re-installed Python, no difference.
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
Bobflip

The Python script isn't ideal and misses things sometimes. Youlean made his own tool for this, Windows only but hopefully you'll be able to use it!

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169429
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobflip View Post
The Python script isn't ideal and misses things sometimes. Youlean made his own tool for this, Windows only but hopefully you'll be able to use it!

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=169429
Thank you - will check it out! It's not absolutely required but a very nice way to easily copy, rename and edit all the files.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
Bobflip

Yeah, I was very glad for this tool! It's only a tiny step of producing a plugin, but I love that it makes it so quick and straightforward.
Bobflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobflip View Post
Yeah, I was very glad for this tool! It's only a tiny step of producing a plugin, but I love that it makes it so quick and straightforward.
There must be something wrong somewhere - I just tried the YouLean tool and it locks up with the green status bar showing "Duplicating..."

What could be wrong in both cases?

Last edited by Nonlinear; 11-18-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
Nonlinear

Just thought I'd reply here with the solution I found in case anyone else has this same question/issue.

There are two Python files in the IPlugExamples folders. I ran them both in the plugin I was trying to copy and now the copy function magically works.

generate_plists.py
update_version.py

I'm not sure which one of these did the trick, or what they do, but after running them the copy to new plugin folder function works.