Old 10-24-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
cjewellstudios
Human being with feelings

Default FX Slot text alignment

I'm trying to edit a theme. The text on the fx slot has an empty spot on the left and is not centered.

I don't really know my way around an rtconfig file but I can see that mcp.fxlist.margins (that's from memory) fourth coordinate is set to 0.5 which I believe is supposed to be center.

I'm on a 43" 4k tv with 150% zoom (windows thing) so maybe that's part of the issue but other layouts in the theme (smaller ones) do not have this issue.

I'm hoping someone can help.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
cubic13

Actually, it's the fifth coordinate which sets the eventual centering of the text (0 -> left ; 0.5 -> center ; 1 -> right). You should have something like this :

set mcp.fxlist.margin [3 0 3 0 0.5]

If you have the fourth coordinate set as 0.5, then, there is one missing, which could explain why it doesn't work. Added to this, there is no s at the end of .margin.

HTWH...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:54 AM   #3
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
Actually, it's the fifth coordinate which sets the eventual centering of the text (0 -> left ; 0.5 -> center ; 1 -> right). You should have something like this :

set mcp.fxlist.margin [3 0 3 0 0.5]

If you have the fourth coordinate set as 0.5, then, there is one missing, which could explain why it doesn't work. Added to this, there is no s at the end of .margin.

HTWH...
Thank you so much for your reply!

You definitely nailed down one problem, there were only four coordinates in all the problem layouts.

This theme (I logic neXt) looks to be unpacked already (the theme file was 8kb accompanied by a folder with the same name) but changing the rtconfig file there didn't do anything. There is also another version of the theme that appears packed, the reason for this is unclear and unfortunately the author of the theme isnt very active at the moment. Anyhow, I'm hoping to sort that out too so I can try fixing this myself

The documentation I saw detailed the 1st 3rd and 5th coordinates. What are the numbers in the 1st through 4th referring to exactly? Pixels?

bonus question for 2pts:

If I wanted to make that entire layout wider than it already is. Is that simply changing a couple numbers? (wishful thinking I'm sure) Or is it more like all of the images that relate to the layout have to be redone?
Old 10-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
cubic13

Hi again, cj

1) The first four coordinates point to, respectively, and relatively to the border of an fx slot :

- the margin from the left of it,
- the margin from the top of it,
- the margin from the right of it,
- and finally the margin from the bottom of it.

All these are indeed pixels values. Actually, the 2nd and 4th coordinates are not of real use, so it's better to keep them with a 0 value. To make a vertical centering, we have to work on the fx slots graphical files, which are the following :

- mcp_fxlist_byp.png
- mcp_fxlist_empty.png
- mcp_fxlist_norm.png
- mcp_fxlist_off.png

2) Widening an eventual mcp layout could indeed require more work. After having choosed the number of pixels needed for the new layout width :
- If there is no horizontal gradient (which seems the case on this theme), I guess that you could leave both mcp_bg.png and mcp_bgsel.png panels background files as they are. If not, you'll have to create new versions of these files with the width choosed, without forgetting the necessary 1 pixel frame around it to put the eventual pink lines needed to make parts of the background not stretchable.
- Eventually, adjust accordingly the size of the controls that will be placed in these panels. Hope that it's not necessary for you, otherwise, you are for a long graphical work on all the graphical files related to the controls for which their size needs a change.
- Edit the rtconfig.txt for the layout to, first, declare the width of the new layout, then make the controls appear at their right place, without forgetting to include the tests instruction concerning the height of the panel.

In example, if you want a layout with a 102 pixels width, be sure that there are the following lines at the start of your layout definition (using what is already existing in the ILogic next rtconfig.txt file) :

set mcp.size [102 973]
set mcp.extmixer.mode [1]
set mcp.extmixer.position [3 65 99 522 0 0 0 1]

This done, adjust the coordinates of the different controls in it : mainly, the first coordinate for each of them will more or less need an adjustment, i.e., instead of having this, for the mute and solo controls :

set mcp.mute [3 902 34 24 0 1 0 1]
set mcp.solo [40 902 34 24 0 1 0 1]

...you might want to have this :

set mcp.mute [6 902 34 24 0 1 0 1]
set mcp.solo [56 902 34 24 0 1 0 1]

And so on for all the controls in the mcp panels for this layout. Beside this, you'll probably also have to adjust some controls width, in example, the mcp.io one :

set mcp.io h<448 [0] [3 587 71 37 0 1 0 1]

which could need to be changed as :

set mcp.io h<448 [0] [6 587 91 37 0 1 0 1]

So, the whole process is indeed more difficult than just changing few values...

Last edited by cubic13; 10-26-2018 at 12:27 PM.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:58 AM   #5
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
Hi again, cj

1) The first four coordinates point to, respectively, and relatively to the border of an fx slot :

- the margin from the left of it,
- the margin from the top of it,
- the margin from the right of it,
- and finally the margin from the bottom of it.

All these are indeed pixels values. Actually, the 2nd and 4th coordinates are not of real use, so it's better to keep them with a 0 value. To make a vertical centering, we have to work on the fx slots graphical files, which are the following :

- mcp_fxlist_byp.png
- mcp_fxlist_empty.png
- mcp_fxlist_norm.png
- mcp_fxlist_off.png

2) Widening an eventual mcp layout could indeed require more work. After having choosed the number of pixels needed for the new layout width :
- If there is no horizontal gradient (which seems the case on this theme), I guess that you could leave both mcp_bg.png and mcp_bgsel.png panels background files as they are. If not, you'll have to create new versions of these files with the width choosed, without forgetting the necessary 1 pixel frame around it to put the eventual pink lines needed to make parts of the background not stretchable.
- Eventually, adjust accordingly the size of the controls that will be placed in these panels. Hope that it's not necessary for you, otherwise, you are for a long graphical work on all the graphical files related to the controls for which their size needs a change.
- Edit the rtconfig.txt for the layout to, first, declare the width of the new layout, then make the controls appear at their right place, without forgetting to include the tests instruction concerning the height of the panel.

In example, if you want a layout with a 102 pixels width, be sure that there are the following lines at the start of your layout definition (using what is already existing in the ILogic next rtconfig.txt file) :

set mcp.size [102 973]
set mcp.extmixer.mode [1]
set mcp.extmixer.position [3 65 99 522 0 0 0 1]

This done, adjust the coordinates of the different controls in it : mainly, the first coordinate for each of them will more or less need an adjustment, i.e., instead of having this, for the mute and solo controls :

set mcp.mute [3 902 34 24 0 1 0 1]
set mcp.solo [40 902 34 24 0 1 0 1]

...you might want to have this :

set mcp.mute [6 902 34 24 0 1 0 1]
set mcp.solo [56 902 34 24 0 1 0 1]

And so on for all the controls in the mcp panels for this layout. Beside this, you'll probably also have to adjust some controls width, in example, the mcp.io one :

set mcp.io h<448 [0] [3 587 71 37 0 1 0 1]

which could need to be changed as :

set mcp.io h<448 [0] [6 587 91 37 0 1 0 1]

So, the whole process is indeed more difficult than just changing few values...
Thanks so much for your help and your comprehensive answer about widening the layout!

I was finally able to take care of the fx text slot alignment! There were only 4 coordinates like you spotted and there was an unnecessarily big margin set for the first coordinate. Also,through my exploration I also figured out how to change the color of the fader caps which I think is rad

I may give the widening a go but at a later date. I'll have this thread as a reference. Thanks again!