Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 06-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Default New track, also I'm on a netlabel now or something

I guess being on a creative-commons free netlabel is not much above having a soundcloud account, but at least it motivates to organize tunes into something resembling albums. So I've put one together and even made covers:

So I'm here now. The label organized a few of pretty neat thematic compilations where people sent a lot of surprisingly cool music made with old commie guitars like this or this, amongst others. Would grab one of those instruments, but unfortunately ostalgia seems to be setting in and the prices for a working specimen are becoming a bit stupid, especially considering those had a "firewood" reputation not a long ago.

There's another compilation ongoing, anyone with any Polish-made guitar, firewood-grade and above is free to apply. When we're out of guitars my next pick is the "Synths of USSR" LP.

Anyways, here's the new jam, made because I didn't feel like I have anything to close the tracklist of the album:

https://soundcloud.com/zeekat/permanent

It has radios, drums subtly ran through a megaphone-in-a-factory-hall impulse and a decent amount of distant, ambienty atmosphere I hope. I'm getting better at making POD farm sound subtle.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
Nizhny Tagil

Some of your stuff reminds me of the Sylvian/Fripp collaboration project. There's this neat recording of a concert of theirs on Youtube which I've always liked and especially comes to mind:

Of course there's singing there but also those moments where there's only a beat, dreamy synths and those "infinite" guitars.

Also pretty cool what you do with the radio samples, I really like that.
I like the artwork too, did you do it yourself?
Thanks!
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #3
zeekat

Sylvian/Fripp, that's a hell of a comparison! Didn't even know such cooperation existed, adding to faves to watch later. Sylvian did a couple albums with Holger Czukay which are full of radio ambience BTW.

Yeah, did the artwork, took ages to find the fitting photos, also wasted hours trying to understand GIMP. Which ended up in uninstalling it and using paint.net. Is it me, or is GIMP even more user-hostile than it was years ago?

Last edited by zeekat; 06-09-2018 at 11:26 PM.
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:56 AM   #4
Nizhny Tagil

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Sylvian/Fripp, that's a hell of a comparison! Didn't even know such cooperation existed, adding to faves to watch later. Sylvian did a couple albums with Holger Czukay which are full of radio ambience BTW.

Yeah, did the artwork, took ages to find the fitting photos, also wasted hours trying to understand GIMP. Which ended up in uninstalling it and using paint.net. Is it me, or is GIMP even more user-hostile than it was years ago?
I know, he's a frequent collaborator of Sylvian's. I have a solo album of his, which is more on the ambient side, where he performs as well. It might be a good chance to revisit it, come to think of it.

The artwork is cool, so at least it was worth it! But I totally understand about GIMP, I never could figure out how to use it as well; and it's not like I need to do crazy stuff with graphics.
For basic stuff there are IrfanView or Fotografix, but more often I use a distro of GIMP called Gimphoto: it's basically GIMP with a GUI taken from an old version of Photoshop and much more user-friendly.
It's not updated often and it's not brilliant in terms of stability and performance, but it has more features than paint.net (which, for example, doesn't have guides): if you hate GIMP's GUI, maybe it could be for you.

Last edited by Nizhny Tagil; 06-10-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Nizhny Tagil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #5
Dream Of Sleeping

I'm six tracks into your album as I'm writing this and it is really impressive. The production is really professional. Everything just sounds right. You've got a great ear. I don't know if the drums are real, or if you are just very good at drum programming and getting them to sound good! The whole thing feels very organic. The artwork looks great too, and it is nice to have something in a propper album format.

Do you not sing? I mean, as good as this is, I think if you had vocals to your soundscapes you'd likely reach a bigger audience. You don't often hear full band home recordings from unsigned artists that sound this good. In fact most sound unpleasant in some way or another! If you got some great vocals down you'd be the whole package.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizhny Tagil View Post
For basic stuff there are IrfanView or Fotografix, but more often I use a distro of GIMP called Gimphoto: it's basically GIMP with a GUI taken from an old version of Photoshop and much more user-friendly.
It's not updated often and it's not brilliant in terms of stability and performance, but it has more features than paint.net (which, for example, doesn't have guides): if you hate GIMP's GUI, maybe it could be for you.
I knew there was something called Gimpshop, that was discontinued or taken over by scammers even - sounded discouraging enough to stop searching. Good to know there's something more recent, paint.net is cool but yeah, it's lacking in some parts (text tool doesn't allow editing the text after commiting and alternate plugins for that don't work very well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
I'm six tracks into your album as I'm writing this and it is really impressive. The production is really professional. Everything just sounds right. You've got a great ear. I don't know if the drums are real, or if you are just very good at drum programming and getting them to sound good! The whole thing feels very organic. The artwork looks great too, and it is nice to have something in a propper album format.

Do you not sing? I mean, as good as this is, I think if you had vocals to your soundscapes you'd likely reach a bigger audience. You don't often hear full band home recordings from unsigned artists that sound this good. In fact most sound unpleasant in some way or another! If you got some great vocals down you'd be the whole package.
Thanks, sort of surprising to read it sounds professional, I feel like I sound like a typical bedroom internet musician. Organic sound comes from the handmade nature of everything with minimal edits I guess.

Drums are either programmed on piano roll or finger-danced on Akai MPD controller, mostly with Steven Slate VST which IMO sounds amazing. Never considered vocals, especially mine - man, it would be goat-voiced Slavoj Zizek-accented disaster in the best moments. Singing is serious business.