Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
padriac
Human being with feelings

Default Is ultraschall worth it for a new english user

Hi I am 74 not bad with IT just setting out on podcasting got all the gear ready and choosing which software to invest my time in. It seems reaper is the pick over audacity. Seen much mention of ultraschall plug in for podcasting, but no english tutorials or documentation. Is it worth me installing it or is that too much hassle. If sticking to normal reaper what is the best learning resource for podcasting in reaper
padriac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:55 AM   #2
xpander

Ultraschall does seem like an exclusively modified version of Reaper for the podcasting. But it is also this modified nature of Ultraschall which doesn't necessarily make it as easy option as regular Reaper install. That's because regular Reaper has tons of instructions available in all formats, but like you said, unless there is documentation to support Ultraschall in a language you can understand, what are you going to do?

I have no experience about podcasting and have installed Ultraschall once just to see what it is about. I hope people having experience in this area will be able to guide you further, no matter which route you will take. But just for a quick start, couple of videos about using Reaper for podcasting:

Podcasting in REAPER

Podcasting With Reaper. Lesson One.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #3
padriac

Default Thanks

Thanks for the response. I think sticking to reaper, with all its educational resources is the best investment in my time. I chose cyberlink powerdirector video editor for that reason and was not disappointed.
I will check the videos out you linked with great interest. Paddy
padriac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
Meo-Ada Mespotine

There's a (german) introduction-tutorial on Youtube, which you can try to use with english subtitles activated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5kY...60uSK26JNxbFzG

But most of the stuff should be selfexplaining, if you see what it does.

@all
If you have questions about Ultraschall, please post them in here. I've subscribed this thread so I see new posts.
I'm one of the developers of it, the other two are rstockm and fernsehmuell, who are sometimes active in here, as well.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
RobertJohn

Interested in Ultraschall (UltraSound) I went through the video with English captions and got the gist of it.

I have version 6.0 but decided to do the plunge and followed the instructions. Reaper 5.70 only and the Ultraschall 3.1 install. It loaded without issue, but had scripting errors but that was solved by removing my latest SMS Extenion .dll in the plugins /Roaming Folder in Windows 10 64 bit. Now runs just fine. The Sound Board is an interesting concept and I see a version 4 is being created.

Glad I stumbled on this thread as it's a great tool and hopefully more English Tuts will be available. Still sorting out all the interesting features.

Cheers
RobertJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
pipelineaudio
Mortal

ooops delete

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 12-31-2019 at 08:38 AM.
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:32 AM   #7
Meo-Ada Mespotine

BTW, we're working on Ultraschall 4 at the moment, so Reaper 6 will be the base quite soon.
We're in betatesting-stage, atm.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:32 AM   #8
RobertJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespotine View Post
BTW, we're working on Ultraschall 4 at the moment, so Reaper 6 will be the base quite soon.
We're in betatesting-stage, atm.
Great to hear!
RobertJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:13 AM   #9
tzzsmk

@mespotine I've been checking Ultraschall 5 recently,
went through all those German video tutorials (which suprisingly I can understand just fine, English isn't my native language either)
and now I'm comparing it with Reaper side-by-side (installed Ultraschall 5 from GitHub as portable),

I wonder if it's possible to use just some of its features in regular Reaper environment? I observed some plugins would work just fine, but Theme relies on custom Ultraschall API and so do most actions, hotkeys and buttons in Ultraschall?

I'm not a programmer to make use of the Ultraschall API capabilities, just a Reaper user who would enjoy some of the clever functions Ultraschall 5 provides
Old 02-18-2022, 09:41 AM   #10
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Some clarification:
Ultraschall is the podcast extension that you used, while Ultraschall-Api is its backend, which allowed for some of the features.

Ultraschall only works completely installed.
Ultraschall-Api can be installed on every Reaper installation without having Ultraschall 5 itself installed. So Ultraschall-Api is independent from Ultraschall.

With Ultraschall-Api, you can code a lot of things, that are usually hard to code, like rendering, parameter modulation and tons of others.

Some confuse it, as both have Ultraschall in their names(should have given it another name back then) so I just wanted to clarify it.

Ok, now to your question:
it's possible to cut out some of the features, though some are more complicated to cut out, as they have dependencies on other features.

So it really depends on, what feature you want?

The soundcheck is probably hard to cut out, as well as Magic Routing.
But many editing features should be easier to get.
Do you have something specific in mind?

(You'll probably need to install Ultraschall-Api for some of them, so just follow the link in my signature to install it.)

Old 02-18-2022, 11:44 AM   #11
tzzsmk

I'm merely exploring all the functionality - basically clicking something and seeing what it shows in recent Actions menu - noticed lots of those are custom actions, which if I understand are part of the API, or not?

one "error" I ran across is, Ultraschall portable from GitHub does not include AU plugins like SoundBoard and StudioLink, is that correct?

another interesting feature I like is Ultraschall Dashboard with its System Clock (although I observed it doesn't display time accurately - seconds seem to jump every few seconds to keep in time) and understand that's also a completely custom Ultraschall dock element based on the API?