Old 09-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #1
for
Human being with feelings

Default Blues...Pattern?

This is such a boring topic for me cause i think i am not into that first blues rhythm and sound we always here...ta...ta ta...ta ta...ta ta..., i'd rather ask here than google, and find out from your experience

is there a specific blues pattern when someone is playing the blues?

can you always guess whats coming next when some guys start jamming into the blues?

is 12 bar blues the most common? is this always the "go to" blues structure?

Thanks

edit: also i'm assuming the blues scale came first...and after the blues pattern......silly statement, but anyway, any info on this too? thanks

Last edited by for; 09-23-2020 at 01:38 PM.
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
tls11823

The term "blues" covers way too much territory for there to be any type of standard. Are you talking Muddy Waters, Ray Charles, Joe Bonamassa, or any of the others over the years that have delivered blues?

As with so many things in music, there are no rules, and a new artist on the scene can create a fresh approach. The best blues music is an expression of feeling, so go with that rather than worrying about structure. If you play what feels right, it'll probably sound right.

Just my tuppence-worth.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
for

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
The term "blues" covers way too much territory for there to be any type of standard. Are you talking Muddy Waters, Ray Charles, Joe Bonamassa, or any of the others over the years that have delivered blues?

As with so many things in music, there are no rules, and a new artist on the scene can create a fresh approach. The best blues music is an expression of feeling, so go with that rather than worrying about structure. If you play what feels right, it'll probably sound right.

Just my tuppence-worth.

i'm interested about the structure...they all have common structure i think and i needed that explained. Like the 12 bar blues. When people jam this, they know what chords are coming up...
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
Dave 2099

One thing to keep in mind is that the blues "structure" isn't set in stone, but adapts to the needs of a song. If you are able, I suggest checking out the songbook based on Robert Johnson's songs. Sometimes he inserted a 2/4 or 6/4 measure (or at least that's how later people notarized it) because what he was singing needed some extra beats to carry one part to the next part. It really depends on the needs of your song.

You might try working within a strict 12 bar structure and seeing where you might want to diverge. It's really up to you and what the singer is doing.

As far as jamming with other people, the basic blues structure (1-4-1-5-4) should give everyone a good idea of what to expect. You just need to communicate with eye contact or whatever when a change is coming.
Dave 2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
bucca

it's not a structure that makes the 'blues', it's a 'blues' that makes the structure.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
Stoker

This might be a good place to start: Twelve Bar Blues
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #7
Rhonin

Default unfortunatly yes

"is there a specific blues pattern when someone is playing the blues?

can you always guess whats coming next when some guys start jamming into the blues?

is 12 bar blues the most common? is this always the "go to" blues structure?"

at every jam I have been to
Rhonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #8
bucca

whatever you do, you'll get some kind of structure anyway. yeah, we got some kind of 'genre rudiments'. but frankly, who cares if it's 12, 9, 15 or 4 bars. it' all about get ppl to listen. otherwise - trash bins.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #9
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonin View Post
"is there a specific blues pattern when someone is playing the blues?

is 12 bar blues the most common? is this always the "go to" blues structure?"

at every jam I have been to
The basic structure of 12 bar blues is built around the I - IV - V chords of whatever key you are playing in. So for A or Am 12 bar blues your chords are A, D, and E. In the key of B or Bm, the I, IV, V is B, E, and F. The rest of the keys follow the same pattern.

That's just the basics, you can build off of that with turnaround chords, 7th chords, the list is as long as you care to make it.

The beauty of 12 bars blues is it's simplicity coupled with endless possibilities. BB King famously said, "I've been playing the same 3 chords all my life".
Old 09-25-2020, 02:04 AM   #10
Aeolian

Sooo many variations, so here a couple of favourites:

-slowly-
Am7 / / /
Dm7 / Am7 /
F7 / E7#9 /
Am7 / E7#9 /

Or

Play a regular 12 bar blues, all dominant chords, but only play the 3 and b7 of each chord. All 3 chords can be arranged so they sit only a semitone apart, all over the neck.

I found this quote from Ted Greene invaluable:

"Another point to notice is that in 99.999 of all cases, some form of I chord will be in bar 1 to start the progression, and some form of IV chord will be in bar 5. The other measures will vary enormously."
Old 09-25-2020, 02:25 AM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by for View Post
i'm interested about the structure...they all have common structure i think and i needed that explained. Like the 12 bar blues. When people jam this, they know what chords are coming up...

This is one of the reasons why blues jams tend to be utterly boring.

Not that there is only three or four structures, just that the average jam attendee doesnt bother learning anything else.

This is also a large factor in why blues bands on the club circuit tend to make alot less money than, say, those playing country or funk, etc. Bigger audiences and fewer bands (of very varying levels of competence) competing for them.

What destroys most blues jam players is the traditional turnarounds featured in many of the earlier blues/roots stuff.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:17 AM   #12
Rhonin

Default "80 blues"

for some reason in the 80s everyone was a lead guitar player
so they just codified a system that let them play one scales structure for 15 min,.then the nest guy,...then the nexxt,..an anausium

its very hard to talk about what real blues would be because all you hear
is "blues rock" eric clapton style

bar blues basicallly killed the blues IMO

,...in the delta blues its one guy playing rythm and lead at the same time
while hes singing
Rhonin is offline   Reply With Quote