Old 09-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #1
lowellben
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Selections and Beats Measures

Good afternoon. Can someone tell me how I can run a script or action and select all MIDI notes in an item that land on beat 1 of all measures in the item? Regardless of note lengths, chords, just care about selecting all notes that "land" somehow on the first beat of every measure in a given item.

Is this possible please? Thank you.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
lunker

What do you mean by "land on"? Notes that start or end exactly on the first beat of the measure?

It should be fairly easy to write a script that looks at all MIDI notes in the item and selects them if the meet that criteria. I'm not at my Reaper PC today (or probably most of the weekend ), or I would try to whip it up for you.

With all of the MIDI scripts available in different ReaPack packages, I wouldn't be surprised to find that someone has already written something like this (or at least very close to it).

If you're feeling somewhat adventurous, you might want to browse through some of the MIDI scripts people have written for ReaPack. If you can find one that selects certain notes, you could try to modify it to select notes based on your criteria.

Last edited by lunker; 09-13-2019 at 07:52 AM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
What do you mean by "land on"? Notes that start or end exactly on the first beat of the measure?

It should be fairly easy to write a script that looks at all MIDI notes in the item and selects them if the meet that criteria. I'm not at my Reaper PC today (or probably most of the weekend ), or I would try to whip it up for you.

With all of the MIDI scripts available in different ReaPack packages, I wouldn't be surprised to find that someone has already written something like this (or at least very close to it).

If you're feeling somewhat adventurous, you might want to browse through some of the MIDI scripts people have written for ReaPack. If you can find one that selects certain notes, you could try to modify it to select notes based on your criteria.
I checked all of ReaPack before posting Thank you! Let me know please if you find some time and energy to solve this puzzle.

Sorry for my confusing wordage. I simply meant any note of any length that began on beat one. Not a certain short length or long.

i.e.

Select all MIDI notes on the first beat of every measure in item (any length)

Not sure how this could be done because of me being stupid lol.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #4
juliansader

The MIDI editor's built-in Filter can do this easily. Simply set "Position in measure" to something like 0 to 1/256, and set "Repeat every: measure", and then click "Set selection".

You can also try my script "js_Select and deselect MIDI notes by step pattern".
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
The MIDI editor's built-in Filter can do this easily. Simply set "Position in measure" to something like 0 to 1/256, and set "Repeat every: measure", and then click "Set selection".

You can also try my script "js_Select and deselect MIDI notes by step pattern".
There is no 1/256 anywhere in the filter fwiw. Sorry your solution does not work.
I am trying to select then quantize only the notes that occur within a small amount of duration from the downbeat of each measure. (1/32 1/64 whatever applies) basically like locking the downbeats of each midi measure in an item the way you do transient stretch markers to lock a groove but keep the "feels" of the groove within each bar loose as played.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
There is no 1/256 anywhere in the filter fwiw. Sorry your solution does not work.]
Simply type in "1/256" in the textbox. The "Position in measure" settings are combo boxes, so you are not limited to the durations in the dropdown list. The minimum duration that you can filter is "1/1024" IIRC. 1/1024 is about 3 ticks, so unless you need to exclude notes that are only 2 or 3 ticks after the downbeat, the filter should do the trick.

Quote:
I am trying to select then quantize only the notes that occur within a small amount of duration from the downbeat of each measure. (1/32 1/64 whatever applies) basically like locking the downbeats of each midi measure in an item the way you do transient stretch markers to lock a groove but keep the "feels" of the groove within each bar loose as played.
If you would like to include notes that fall slightly *away* from the downbeat, simply use the filter twice: once to select all notes from 0 to 1/32 or 1/64, and then "Add to selection" all notes from 31/32 to 1.

In my script, select "Measure" mode, then drag the number of steps to the maximum of 99, and activate the first and last steps.

Last edited by juliansader; 09-14-2019 at 09:56 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote