Old 10-10-2006, 02:14 AM   #1
sinkmusic
Human being with feelings

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain
Default Ext skins

I have found this page yesterday : some skins for EnergyXT are just very nice !
I browsed them, thinking that one day, Reaper would become as skinnable as EnergyXT...
Just take a tour...

http://asseca.com/wiki/Skins/HomePage

here is a quick preview :

sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
sinkmusic

.. a little bit more

And some ABleton Live and FL templates :

Old 10-10-2006, 03:27 AM   #3
akoustic

good post Sink... some amazing work those guys have done... inspirational

Have a silly question for anyone interseted - Is there any copyright on icons ? i.e. can a ripped version of say Nuendo's icons be distributed as a user theme in Reaper ?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 AM   #4
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic
thinking that one day, Reaper would become as skinnable as EnergyXT...
but please not the main-windowframe! i hate this in eXT, see http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150961
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:45 AM   #5
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustic

Have a silly question for anyone interseted - Is there any copyright on icons ? i.e. can a ripped version of say Nuendo's icons be distributed as a user theme in Reaper ?
I can't answer about your copyright questions, but i'm glad you find this "inspirational".... eh eh, i have never enough of Akoustic themes !
Old 10-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #6
akoustic

quite interested to find out about the icon copyright.

..this mainly the reason i did custom icons for those themes - was tempted at times to do Nuendo/Samp/Vegas themes. Anyway theres another theme on the way... nothing special but rather, a lighter more transparent (akoustic icepack) version of the existing ones.. just had so much work the last week that i havent had time to change the main icons yet.. still a couple hours work left though hopefully soon

cheers
Old 10-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
sinkmusic

While browsing the skin library of Ext, I was amazed by the many different and innovative icons i found.

I must say i like better your own custom icons than the ones from Cubase or Vegas...and glad to hear a new them is on the way !

In Ext it is incredible : everything can be skinned : and even the skin based on Ableton Live is more innovative and has more icons than the "model" (the ableton software).
have you seen the smooth scrolls in the last grey and orange skin ?
it s very nice work (i should have credited the authorss : i didn't, so everybody : go and see for yoruself on the site !)
Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic
everything can be skinned
almost everything!
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
Xaake

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustic

I am pretty sure there are copyright on icons, but how far that extends I don't know. You could probably not just copy an icon, but I am sure you can draw inspiration from it. I think I am pretty much just on the right side of the copyright with the recube icons. They are made from scratch by me, but heavily inspired by cubases icons (and some even by yours)

AMD Athlon-XP 3000+ @ 3200+, 1GB DDR-RAM, Presonus Inspire 1394, Edirol MA-15D

It is always good weather indoors!
Xaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #10
akoustic

Xaake,

think you right on that 1... seems that to publish another apps icons, you would need to get permission - not sure how many changed pixels or colours constitutes a new work.

What is interesting, is that if you create original icons, they automatically are copyrighted, unless someone else has proof of doing this prior to you.

... it may be a bit risky skinning Reaper 1:1 with another apps icons, even though the project layouts would be different plus icon sizes - however, 1:1 themes could be uploaded by users, similar to winamp skins on a dedicated site to keep things safe (think this was mentioned before in the forum)

If Reaper were driven by some huge corporate-ware institution, i would not be doing icons 4 them... but sharing these & giving Reaper a few more UI options is but a pleasure... and maybe in some way to show appreciation to all those involved.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #11
Justin
Administrator

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is this:

If you copy in any form the icon (i.e. screen capture or resource editing, or pixel by pixel copying), then it would be a derivative work and the original owner of the icon would be part owner..

If you make something similarly styled, but original (drawing inspiration), you should be OK.

Again, don't hold me to this, it's just what I understand to be...

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
akoustic

...thats pretty much what i managed to find about icon copyright - it may be similar to music in that some country's may be stricter than others.

When i was doing jingles in South Africa we had a brief from the client to get as close to a comercial song as possible... it turned out that, if the judge or musicologist recognised the tune, it would have been turned down. I know that the laws are slightly different in the UK & US but not sure about the exact details, as its been a while since i have read up on that... i wonder if icons would attract such scrutiny.

Last edited by akoustic; 10-10-2006 at 01:04 PM.
akoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
sinkmusic

1- If i look at the "FL skin" and the "Live Skin" posted above, it is all very connotative and close from the host they take their name from, but has their own icons, and is nearly more imaginative and good as the model.
So everyone knows it is 'live-alike" or "fl-alike", but not exact 1:1 copy, but something in between a copy and a tribute...

2- in your case, Akoustic, i think your icons were better than many ones i ever saw in existing hosts, so i'm glad you didn't "dare" copying existing icons, but created tyour owns