Old 01-23-2023, 10:15 AM   #1
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

Default Current declipper?

I've got Isotope R8's declipper, and it's good but not great. Using on a narration that seems to have random mic pre clipping, and not great in how the audio is left afterwards. I have better luck going in to waveform level and snipping out a few cycles at the worst spot and even if it doesn't get the whole of it out, just having it speed by faster helps it to not sound like a botch, at least much of the time, and then running R8 to get the ones that can't take that treatment. But it's time consuming. I haven't come up with much else to try via Googling (on Mac).

Are there any JS plugins I haven't seen that do decent declipping? Obviously not looking for magic, and also obviously rerecording is not an option. i'm dealing with what it is.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2023, 12:15 PM   #2
serr

So, the mantra was always "distortion can't be fixed" and all that. Always seemed to be matter of fact true. Labor of love work to half fix some things at best.

But now we have stuff like iZotopeRX. Their de-clipper is the most magical tool I've had experience with so far. Otherwise it's still hard or impossible. I DO think it's geared more towards repairing lite digital clipping than anything analog in origin like mic preamp distortion.

I've had a couple cases of success trying this high maneuver:
Intentionally digitally clip off the top of the analog distorted program to just slice off the fuzzy tops and make the already square waves "digital". Now run the de-clipper. Might get lucky. Can easily make it more mutilated like you might guess if you don't though.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 03:06 PM   #3
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
So, the mantra was always "distortion can't be fixed" and all that. Always seemed to be matter of fact true. Labor of love work to half fix some things at best.

But now we have stuff like iZotopeRX. Their de-clipper is the most magical tool I've had experience with so far. Otherwise it's still hard or impossible. I DO think it's geared more towards repairing lite digital clipping than anything analog in origin like mic preamp distortion.

I've had a couple cases of success trying this high maneuver:
Intentionally digitally clip off the top of the analog distorted program to just slice off the fuzzy tops and make the already square waves "digital". Now run the de-clipper. Might get lucky. Can easily make it more mutilated like you might guess if you don't though.

Thanks, serr, as always! Yeah, it does work better on digitally clipped signal than pre clip, but it's pretty impressive what it manages to do. I will try that tip about clipping it harder and then running it
Old 01-23-2023, 03:23 PM   #4
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Intentionally digitally clip off the top of the analog distorted program to just slice off the fuzzy tops and make the already square waves "digital". Now run the de-clipper.
Very interesting. This would never have occurred to me.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:13 PM   #5
vdubreeze

serr, thank you for that tip!!! I have a bunch of analog clips on a narration (where in the chain I can only guess was the pre). Lowering the offensive 100 milliseconds hasn't been working, as most are almost as annoying dropped 10db as they are at 0. As I mentioned, I've had good luck sniping out cycles at the clip and then, if it threw off a syllable, duping some cycles before or after. Takes way too much time I should be editing. Have been having meh luck using the Isotope DeClipper, though it's my first time pulling it out and trying to use it, so there's that. But if I isolate the it into an item and find the peak (SWS analyze and display peak) and up the item level a few db over that, and drop it down a few db to process, it absolutely can make deal killer spots usable.

Lest anyone think declippers can't do anything that eq and limiting won't, I'm now firmly in the camp that, with some parameter finesse, they can sometimes make the unusable into something usable. And this tip from serr, which seems counterintuitive at first (make it worse so it will get fixed better) works very well. I wouldn't do it on a whole program, just spot by spot.

I salute you, serr !!!

Now if I could only get RX 8 to not take down Reaper 10% of the times I pull it up....