Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Reccomended priorities:

99 kernel threads
95 sound card interrupt handler
80 jackd/or reaper (ALSA)
50 hardware interrupt handlers
1 software timers
0 most threads

This pretty much covers the configuration of low latency audio on Linux. Hope it's useful and that I didn't ramble too much
Very interesting information !!!

Regarding the other Thread here:

1) What about the VSTs ? (I suppose Reaper handles them as (Audio) threads with the appropriate priority setting

2) What about Windows VST running in Wine ? Can the the "bridged" processes running via Wine be assigned decent priorities ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 07-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:06 AM   #42
4duhwinnn
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
A bad idea regarding performance issues, as the next urgent project will be more demanding.

-Michael
You've missed the context of both the question I replied to,
and my reply itself. The questions are those of someone
new to linux audio, and my reply was to proceed based on
existing conditions and experience. Most people won't ever have
a string of 'urgent projects', each more demanding than the last,
but will develope a routine and workflow that evolves with increasing knowledge and experience.

The most bitter linux haters were new linux users once,
were promised a fanboi's treasure, rushed in blindly,
were then poorly supported, and staggered away from the trainwreck,
never to return.

If_it's_broke,_fix_it

If_it_ain't_broke,_don't_fix_it,_write_a_song...
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:57 AM   #43
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
[b]Very[\b] interesting information !!!

Regarding the other Thread here:

1) What about the VSTs ? (I suppose REeaper handles them as (Audio) threads with the appropriate priority setting

2) What about Windows VST running in Wine ? Can the the "bridged" processes running via Wine be assigned decent priorities ?

-Michael
Yes it does. It makes some calls from a realtime context (audio processing), and others like GUI code from a non realtime context. This ought to work fine with linux vsts.

The interesting problem is with windows vsts, as they run as a different process with their own threads. I wrote a patch for wine many years ago called wine-rt, which allows windows programs that ask for elevated thread priorities to get their threads scheduled as realtime threads. Been using this for years to run reaper in wine with good success. With some plugins I can see them using this functionality to set a high priority thread.

This patch is not part of normal wine, but you could patch wine and build it yourself to get this capability. Some distros (kxstudio, maybe others) might have a wine-rt package, and the functionality has been added to wine-staging, but it needs to be activated by setting a couple of environment variables. For wine-rt it's WINE_RT and WINE_SRV_RT, and for wine-staging it's STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_BASE and STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_SERVER.

Regarding LinVst both me and osxmidi have recently added realtime support, albeit in different ways. To add osxmidi's realtime support you have to build it with a special makefile, and it will try to run lin-vst-server with all threads as realtime.

I submitted a patch that hasn't made it into the main LinVst repo, but which is available on my github fork: https://github.com/jhernberg/LinVst/tree/realtime

This patch takes a different approach. When reaper calls the plugin, it asks for the priority of the calling thread, then sends that info over the named pipes and finally sets the same priority of thread handling the request in wine. This means if reaper is asking linvst to process audio from a realtime thread, then the corresponding thread in lin-vst-server.exe will get the same priority.

I suppose one could even combine the two patches and run them at the same time. But haven't had much time to play with this, as I need to work on music and not hack code

So to sum it up, linux vsts ought to work fine even at low latencies. Windows vsts will work fine in LinVst without doing anything special, but for lower latency it could benefit from:

1. Use and configure realtime support in either wine-rt or wine-staging.
2. Use either osxmidi's or my recent realtime support in LinVst

I'll try to get around to cleaning up my linvst github and write a howto in the other thread.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 07-16-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #44
mschnell

Really interesting stuff, indeed !!!
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #45
obx777

Default Thank You!

Just want to say thank you for doing Reaper in Linux to all those involved.

I was notified by a friend who is still on Windows, "hey dude I think Reaper is on Linux now." I was like, "no man that is some stuff that has been sitting for years, that is not a real build." Then I started searching.

Then I found a .deb file for Reaper here:
http://www.bandshed.net/packages/reaper-linux/
Not sure who is posting these .deb files for us Linux dummies who don't know that package and library trickery but thanks!! For those not familiar a .deb file will click and install on Ubuntu (and others I think) like a Windows install program.

I downloaded, clicked and Unbutu studio loaded it up fast!, I selected JACK audio (had it running already) and BAM instant Reaper on my Ubuntu system!!!

Also, had an issue with an audio stuttering start and it was fixed before I could even comment here!

Reaper in the past has alway "just worked" for me. It just works.

Who is running the beta testing and where do we comment if we find anything?

I would post on you main Download page that Beta Reaper Linux is here!!
obx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #46
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by obx777 View Post
Who is running the beta testing and where do we comment if we find anything?

I would post on you main Download page that Beta Reaper Linux is here!!
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's still in a sort of "pre-alpha" stage; last time I checked in, it wasn't time to start reporting bugs yet, but maybe that will change soon...
clepsydrae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:46 AM   #47
Jack Winter

Please feel free to report any issues you find in this thread.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 07-21-2017, 04:22 AM   #48
svoufff

Sincere apologies if someone answered me yesterday on IRC but i got severely disconnected all day long, so i will post here from now on.

Hi !
I installed Reaper from AUR on an Arch/kde5 distro.
Installs and runs without problem but a lot of fonts on the main panel (timeline, tempo, track names, track inputs...) are corrupted like this :

http://imgur.com/GtYTsdA

No tweaks applied, default theme and layout.

Maybe a missing font ? or an option in the config files ?
Sorry, I'm very new to reaper.I searched the original (long) thread on this forum but couldn't find the same problem.
Another AUR user reports the same in the package comments.
svoufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:37 AM   #49
Jack Winter

What is the output of: "find /usr/share/fonts -type f" ?
Old 07-21-2017, 05:12 AM   #50
svoufff

https://pastebin.com/2tZsyqrn
Old 07-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #51
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svoufff View Post
The easiest thing to do is to install ttf-freefont or ttf-dejavu.

(In a pinch you could add some lines to reaper.ini to help it find some of the other installed fonts, in fact I'm going to modify the stock libSwell to work in this scenario (there's a quirk in the font mapper), but for now just install one of the above packages)

Last edited by Justin; 07-21-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #52
svoufff

Worked perfect, thanks mucho !
I relayed the info on the Arch package comments.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #53
marxmarv

Default not enough recursion

5.50rc6, Debian 9
I can't load JSFX. The directories themselves are presented to me as the scripts.
Likewise, the VST search path in Preferences -> VST doesn't appear to be searched recursively on Linux as it was in Windows. Possibly the same bug?
(btw, great job on loading VSTs once found, especially @osxmidi . All my Windows plugs load great.)
marxmarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #54
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Else View Post
I just formatted by drive to install Fedora 26.
I'm having some difficulty building Swell on my fresh install of Fedora 26. Following the instructions, I got this far with success:

Code:
git clone http://www-dev.cockos.com/wdl/WDL.git WDL/
I now have Swell in this directory:
/home/WDL/WDL/

Should I move everything back one directory?
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #55
David Else

EDIT misread your post! I just assumed you were talking SWS as you don't need to build SWELL, it's built in now... I will leave the post in case you want SWS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I'm having some difficulty building Swell on my fresh install of Fedora 26. Following the instructions, I got this far with success:

Code:
git clone http://www-dev.cockos.com/wdl/WDL.git WDL/
I now have Swell in this directory:
/home/WDL/WDL/

Should I move everything back one directory?
I can't remember the details, but I just followed the instructions and it worked. I had to install another package to enable the build... maybe the gtk thing. I formatted the drive since and installed Fedora 26 myself, and the original compile from Fedora 25 seems OK, I uploaded it for you:

http://www.learndigitalaudio.com/wp-...aper_sws64.zip

Sorry couldn't be more help, is this compile working OK for you? Just unzip and stick it in the plugins directory.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #56
citizenkeith

Quote:
EDIT misread your post! I just assumed you were talking SWS as you don't need to build SWELL, it's built in now... I will leave the post in case you want SWS:
Awesome, thank you!!
Old 07-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #57
4duhwinnn

In 550rc6, some plugins open truncated, but are fully drawn
after being docked. AlchemyCM is one example. It opens
fine in windows reaper 5.40, wine 2.11 or 2.12
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #58
Westrabua

Default SOLVED: Segmentation fault (core dumped)

5.50rc6, Ubuntu 16.04.3 (kxstudio repos):

Downloaded 5.50rc6. "libSwell.so" already seems to be present withing "REAPER" folder.
Upon executing "reaper5" I get a quick glimpse of the startup splash screen and then a "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" in the console.
Previous version I had running was 5.50rc3. Back then I did compile libSwell.so as stated in the readme file.

Has something changed? Did I miss a new requirement for running the latest version?

---------------------------
EDIT (2017.07.28):
I compiled libSwell as stated in "libSwell-roll-your-own.txt".

Running Reaper using gdb does not result in a segmentation fault. Reaper starts up just fine and seems to work.

I followed some stackoverflow advice and did the following:
  • Run "ulimit -c unlimited" (previously set to 0).
  • Run Reaper without gdb: Creates a core dump ("core" file).
  • Run "gdb -q reaper5 core".
This outputs the following:
Code:
Reading symbols from reaper5...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
[New LWP 11999]
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `./reaper5'.
Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0  0x00000000007e114f in eel_setfp_trunc ()
(gdb)
Doing a quick "grep -r "eel_setfp_trunc" WDL/" shows that "eel_setfp_trunc" only occurs in the following files (the date is the latest change according to github repo):
  • WDL/eel2/ns-eel.h (Apr 30, 2017)
  • WDL/eel2/asm-nseel-x86-msvc.c (Apr 6, 2016)
  • WDL/eel2/asm-nseel-x86-gcc.c (Apr 6, 2016)
  • WDL/eel2/nseel-cfunc.c (Feb 20, 2017)
"reaper_550rc3_developer_linux_x86_64.tar.xz" was uploaded on 2017-06-22, so there are no WDL changes that new.

If I try the whole thing with "reaper_550rc4_developer_linux_x86_64.tar.xz", I get pretty much the same thing (apart from the address):
Code:
Reading symbols from reaper5...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
[New LWP 13042]
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `./reaper5'.
Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
#0  0x00000000007e0dcf in eel_setfp_trunc ()
(gdb)
Now the strange thing:
Doing the same with "reaper_550rc3_developer_linux_x86_64.tar.xz" (taken from "old" subfolder), I get this behaviour now as well (different address: "0x00000000007e0b6f").

I have no way of going back to my previously installed version of 550rc3, so I can't verify if that particular install would still work. At this point I suspect that some system updates might have caused this whole thing, but I'm not sure where to look from this point onwards.

Any hints would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

---------------------------
EDIT (2017.08.04):
So I did some more testing and it turns out the problem was within my .REAPER folder (more specifically "reaper-screensets.ini). Maybe due to having Reaper via wine installed beforehand.
I came to realize this by creating a new user, for which running Reaper via console was no issue. After deleting the .REAPER folder I could start Reaper just fine once again with my usual user.

Last edited by Westrabua; 08-04-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Westrabua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:57 AM   #59
eric71

I noticed this morning that the "reaper_550rc10_developer_linux" files were removed from the dev directory at landoleet and that the 550rc11 Linux builds are now in the main landoleet directory (with the windows and mac pre-releases) and no longer contain the word "developer" in the file names. Does this mean they are now progressing toward a larger release? I've been quite happy with them for months already
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #60
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
I noticed this morning that the "reaper_550rc10_developer_linux" files were removed from the dev directory at landoleet and that the 550rc11 Linux builds are now in the main landoleet directory (with the windows and mac pre-releases) and no longer contain the word "developer" in the file names. Does this mean they are now progressing toward a larger release? I've been quite happy with them for months already
Just noticed that too. Impressive stuff if so!

Although I'm not sure if I could use it for what I do here (because of having to run other software alongside reaper and maybe plugins too) it's still a lot of Power to the people and an option for me when MS finally piss me off one too many times so thanks!
Old 08-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #61
Jack Winter

I don't think we should read too much into this. It probably means that it's been added to the automatic build system. Seeing it on reaper.fm is probably still some time away..
Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #62
Jack Winter

I've worked a bit on the wiki: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux

Would be happy to get some feedback, hard to understand, too superficial, wrong, etc. Any comments?

Last edited by Jack Winter; 08-04-2017 at 05:14 AM. Reason: capitalized REAPER in the wiki url
Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #63
clepsydrae

Quote:
I've worked a bit on the wiki: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Reaper_for_Linux

Would be happy to get some feedback, hard to understand, too superficial, wrong, etc. Any comments?
If I have time to offer feedback I will, but just wanted to say thanks for working on it!
clepsydrae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #64
brainwreck

Quote:
I've worked a bit on the wiki: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Reaper_for_Linux

Thanks for your effort. I just glanced over it, but I will look at it more tonight.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:57 AM   #65
David Else

Quote:

Really nice work, cheers!

I would say that maybe a 'basic set-up check-list' type thing might be handy for the layman?

Most distros will be setup out the box APART from the memlock and rtprio settings for JACK? I made this script that sorts this out at the press of a button, I wonder how many distros this would work on and if it's worth including something like this in the WIKI?

Quote:
# Config Jack assuming jack has created the 95-jack.conf file we are going to overwrite
sudo usermod -a -G jackuser "$USERNAME" # add our current user to the jackuser group
printf "# Default limits for users of jack-audio-connection-kit\n\n@jackuser - rtprio 98\n@jackuser - memlock unlimited\n\n@pulse-rt - rtprio 20\n@pulse-rt - nice -20" | sudo tee /etc/security/limits.d/95-jack.conf # rewrite the config file
I am sure this script could be improved dramatically to check:

- is jack installed... i made this for NPM, could adapt for JACK:

Quote:
checknpm() {
hash npm 2>/dev/null || {
echo >&2 "You need to install NPM to use this script"
exit 1
}
}
- if the settings are correct to start with, and
- maybe to check what distro is running and halt on blacklisted systems? (if there needs to be any?)

Anyway, just an idea. I was thinking how to help people who know little about Linux to get Reaper running right away without them getting scared away
Old 08-04-2017, 05:32 AM   #66
Jack Winter

Quote:
I would say that maybe a 'basic set-up check-list' type thing might be handy for the layman?
Well I tried to write it very generic and informative. I wanted to show that you basically don't have to do anything more than download/unpack and run it.

I'm quite sure that once people have it installed and running and then want lower latency or jack functionality, then they can start playing with lowlatency vs realtime kernel, user login privileges and the priority of the soundcard interrupt.

I also really didn't want to make it an article about how to configure audio on Linux, plenty of other resources around for that.

Quote:
Most distros will be setup out the box APART from the memlock and rtprio settings for JACK? I made this script that sorts this out at the press of a button, I wonder how many distros this would work on and if it's worth including something like this in the WIKI?
Reaper should run without having to do anything special. The additional/optional steps would probably be:

1. Set the priority of the soundcard irq handler
2. Configure privileges for the user (rtprio/memlock)
3. Install a RT kernel

I think that any kind of attempt to explain how to configure login privileges, install low latency kernel, etc will fail due to differences between different distros...
Quote:
Anyway, just an idea. I was thinking how to help people who know little about Linux to get Reaper running right away without them getting scared away
Yeah, I'm trying to think about the same

I'll think about your comments for a while, I think I made a good start, but there is still some work to do on that page.

Maybe some kind of checklist for achieving the lowest latency would be in order. Maybe also a tips and tricks section explaining how to run windows vsts, linux lv2 plugins, how to get elastique working, etc.

Last edited by Jack Winter; 08-04-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #67
brainwreck

It seems like I'm always running short on time lately...

Quote:
Maybe some kind of checklist for achieving the lowest latency would be in order. Maybe also a tips and tricks section explaining how to run windows vsts, linux lv2 plugins, how to get elastique working, etc.
I think that would make for a nice setup article. Maybe also some general tips on what David Else is pointing at, putting together a bash script for setting things up, if that isn't too far outside of the scope of what you want to provide.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #68
brainwreck

I'm currently juggling the setup of various display aspects for a new monitor, and one thing that I ran into is small fonts and gui elements in Reaper at 1440p. But since Reaper targets GDK, ignoring desktop dpi settings, what is the easiest method for setting Reaper linux dpi?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #69
jdoklovic

Default font scaling not respected

I too have hidpi issues...

using the theme makes the timline and theme-able things a reasonable size, but the menus everywhere are super tiny.

I have a high resolution, but I have also set ubuntu to scale all menus which works in every app except reaper and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

here's a screen shot... notice the reaper menu vs. the font size on the files/folders menubar

https://pasteboard.co/GE8psUE.png

any suggestions?
jdoklovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #70
jdoklovic

actually, i was able to fix most of it by using a libswell.colortheme in my reaper folder, however, the options dialog is all scrunched together and it seems the dialog is not resizeable

If i could resize the options dialog and get the layout to be acceptable, my problems would be solved.

here's a screenshot:
https://pasteboard.co/GE8AKa4.png
jdoklovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #71
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoklovic View Post
actually, i was able to fix most of it by using a libswell.colortheme in my reaper folder, however, the options dialog is all scrunched together and it seems the dialog is not resizeable

If i could resize the options dialog and get the layout to be acceptable, my problems would be solved.

here's a screenshot:
https://pasteboard.co/GE8AKa4.png
Rather than editing libswell.colortheme for the font sizes, just edit ~/.REAPER/reaper.ini, find the [.swell] section, and add the line ui_scale=2.0 or similar. This will scale the windows and also the font sizes.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #72
brainwreck

Sweet. I'll give the above a try when I get home tonight.

Edit: I tried this last night (on Manjaro) and only some text was scaled, such as the file menu and the transport, but not all. And no gui elements were scaled. I also built libswell on my machine, but maybe I didn't have the equivalent gtklib-3-dev in place.

Side note: Manjaro is dropping support for openrc, which is one reason why I was using it in the first place. To avoid too much fiddling, I may just install Debian today, since that is the target for reaper linux any way.

Last edited by brainwreck; 08-05-2017 at 09:19 AM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #73
citizenkeith

After messing around with Fedora 26 (just because I hadn't looked at Fedora in many years), I decided to go back to ol' reliable, Ubuntu. Specifically, Ubuntu Studio.

So far, it's working really well. Reaper and SWS installed. Carla installed. Jack sees the Focusrite 2i2. All is well!

Jack, thanks for the Wiki update. I'll check that out later tonight when I hope to record some demos on the new Linux rig.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #74
Bjorn218

Hopefully by the time you all have Reaper and Linux hashed out, I will have figured out how to compile Ffado from source to get my interface working. Then getting Ffado to play nice with Jack. I have to do quite a bit more reading on this as the information is coming from several places and want to format my notes to be Point A to Point Z.

My interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro24 and firewire care is using a VIA chipset that I am not sure if it will even work. Might be a good idea to but a new TI chip card.
Bjorn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 AM   #75
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn218 View Post
Hopefully by the time you all have Reaper and Linux hashed out, I will have figured out how to compile Ffado from source to get my interface working. Then getting Ffado to play nice with Jack. I have to do quite a bit more reading on this as the information is coming from several places and want to format my notes to be Point A to Point Z.

My interface is a Focusrite Saffire Pro24 and firewire care is using a VIA chipset that I am not sure if it will even work. Might be a good idea to but a new TI chip card.
Maybe you are in luck, they are in the process of adding firewire support to ALSA itself, that means no need for ffado anymore. If I understand correctly the snd-dice module ought to work in later kernels. See: https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve

AFAIK, a TI fw interface is a good idea for DICE I/II chipset cards.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:49 AM   #76
MrHaroldA

I'm busy switching from my trusty, old Lexicon Omega (USB) to an old RME Fireface 400 (FireWire).

I'm not quite sure if it was there all along, but Pulseaudio lists the Fireface and it crashes my Arch Linux based desktop when trying to manage it, even if I set it as 'Off' in Pavucontrol.

So, I ditched Pulseaudio; back to pure ALSA and Jack for native Reaper.

The Ffado-mixer application is still a must, even with "native" FireWire support in ALSA.
MrHaroldA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:53 AM   #77
David Else

Quote:
Maybe you are in luck, they are in the process of adding firewire support to ALSA itself, that means no need for ffado anymore. .
That's interesting, didn't know that! I wondered why my Audiofire 4 just worked out the box Seems to say what is supported here:

https://www.alsa-project.org/main/in...firewire_stack
Old 08-09-2017, 02:57 AM   #78
MrHaroldA

Arch Linux includes these new modules already!

$ locate snd-fireface
/usr/lib/modules/4.12.4-1-ARCH/kernel/sound/firewire/fireface/snd-fireface.ko.gz

That's probably why my desktop crashed after an update ... I guess these are still in beta; or PulseAudio has some problems addressing them.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:08 AM   #79
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaroldA View Post
I'm busy switching from my trusty, old Lexicon Omega (USB) to an old RME Fireface 400 (FireWire).

I'm not quite sure if it was there all along, but Pulseaudio lists the Fireface and it crashes my Arch Linux based desktop when trying to manage it, even if I set it as 'Off' in Pavucontrol.

So, I ditched Pulseaudio; back to pure ALSA and Jack for native Reaper.

The Ffado-mixer application is still a must, even with "native" FireWire support in ALSA.
I assume you using a recent Kernel that has 2017-05-1 alsa 1.1.4 release? (your Fireface 400 would not work otherwise without some other driver):

https://www.alsa-project.org/main/in..._v1.1.3_v1.1.4

Quote:
HWDEP API

hwdep: add support for MOTU FireWire series and RME Fireface series
Old 08-09-2017, 03:15 AM   #80
MrHaroldA

Quote:
I assume you using a recent Kernel that has 2017-05-1 alsa 1.1.4 release? (your Fireface 400 would not work otherwise without some other driver):
$ pacman -Qi alsa-lib
Name : alsa-lib
Version : 1.1.4.1-1

So yes, I have the latest ALSA too.