Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Default v6.02+dev1219 - December 19 2019

v6.02+dev1219 - December 19 2019
  • + Actions: show custom action toggle state as enabled/disabled if all component actions that report a toggle state are enabled/disabled [t=229048]
  • + MIDI inline editor: DPI-scale CC lane resizers
  • + MIDI: preserve CC shapes when gluing items with timebase source beats [t=229058]
  • + Main window: TCP pane and toolbar pane size are stored DPI-independently
  • + Media explorer: optionally apply preview volume to inserted media item
  • + Retina/HiDPI: generic FX UI font sizing improvements
  • + Retina/HiDPI: track routing window font sizing improvements
  • + Tabs: fix truncated tabs with 200% hidpi
  • + Toolbars: refresh toolbar after running any action via toolbar [t=229048]
  • + Toolbars: refresh toolbars after running custom action [t=229048]
  • + Track panels: prevent meters from occluding track name when renaming tracks on Windows [t=228993]
  • + Windows HiDPI: store FX browser pane width indepedent of DPI
  • + Windows HiDPI: store FX chain list width indepedent of DPI
  • + Windows HiDPI: store media explorer pane sizes independent of DPI
  • + Windows: experimental Multimonitorv2 HiDPI awareness mode
  • # Automation items: fix offset when pasting with media items [p=2219579]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
mccrabney

pasting AI overrides "Options: Trim content behind automation items when editing or writing automation"

expected behavior: AI in target area is replaced by pasted AI without stacking (i never want the stacking)

mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
musicbynumbers

+ Media explorer: optionally apply preview volume to inserted media item

Yes!!

Thanks guys!
Old 12-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #4
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
+ Actions: show custom action toggle state as enabled/disabled if all component actions that report a toggle state are enabled/disabled [t=229048]
Awesome! Thank you

(I still do think that having a dedicated notation editor toolbar would be super nice, though )
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

All you Windows users with multiple monitors, try the new HiDPI mode (preferences/general/advanced) and give me feedback!

Also be on the lookout for bugs introduced in normal modes...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #6
Joe90

Quote:
[b][*]+ Windows: experimental Multimonitorv2 HiDPI awareness mode

]
Thank you! Nice to have a render menu that actually fits on my 1080 screen now.

A few little bugs I've noticed so far on this mode -

Blocky oversized graphics for the FX chain tickboxes in the left hand panel, when the FX chain is on the second, smaller res, unscaled screen -

Some plugins have zoomed in, truncated GUI's - this seems to be fixed by checking the HiDPI compatibility mode, but of course this doesn't work in the FX chain, so you get this for Pro-Q2 on the main screen for example -

Also - the action - SWS/BR: Move active floating track FX window to mouse cursor (horizontal: middle, vertical: middle)' is behaving strangely when used to move a plugin that was residing on the main high res screen, over to the second unscaled screen. It's not centering the window correctly on the mouse cursor now.

Also - I've noticed some marquee zoom issues with folder tracks again. This is not related to the new multi monitor mode. I'm not sure it's even specifically happening in this pre, but it's definitely appeared recently, in the last few releases at some point -

Cheers.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
All you Windows users with multiple monitors, try the new HiDPI mode (preferences/general/advanced) and give me feedback!

Will do!
Old 12-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Noted and will try to test tonight.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #9
Joe90

Also regarding multimonitor mode v2 -

Re-sizing of the FX chain and other windows across monitors seems kind of arbitrary at the moment. Dragging them from one to the other seems mostly OK, but if the window was previously open on monitor A, then closed, then opened subsequently on monitor B, it gets truncated or enlarged. I've noticed this with the console window and the cycle editor window.

Similarly - if the FX chain is floating on the monitor A, then closed, then I float it on monitor B, the FX chain will be too small so the plugin will be truncated. If I close and re float the FX chain on that same monitor, it sorts itself out and is normal size. Similarly - if I do this again back to Monitor A, the FX chain will be too large with a load of empty space around the plugin. Again, closing and reopening the FX chain on the same monitor seems to fix it.

Also there are some graphical glitches with the performance meter when viewed on the second lower res monitor - The top section with the meter is too large, and the text appears oversized and then resets itself to the correct size, but still with the oversized top meter that's obscuring some of the text.

FWIW - I don't think there was an issue with the way the FX chain was handled across different monitors in the previous 'multimonitor aware' mode. I know the window borders/buttons were slightly overscaled on the unscaled monitor, but not enough to cause any issues. and the plugins themselves always look as you'd expect and stayed a consistent size when opened on either monitor, or dragged across.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-19-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #10
Edgemeal

Can't see controls in routing window, Send and Receive area are empty/missing.

Win10

Last edited by Edgemeal; 12-19-2019 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Sends empty also
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
FarBeyondMetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Can't see controls in routing window, Send and Receive area are empty/missing.

Win10
Same here, Windows 10 100% DPI
FarBeyondMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
PitchSlap

Quote:
  • + Media explorer: optionally apply preview volume to inserted media item
Thanks this is helpful.

But what is badly needed is for the preview volume slider to work when previewing through a track otherwise there's no way to gain stage into the existing plugin chain to audition properly, making what should be a killer, creative, feature unpredictable and often unusable.

Media files in the same dir often vary widely in volume and when one blasts your ears at full volume through a chain meant for -18dbFS the broken volume slider would really come in handy.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post

Yes!!

Thanks guys!
That's a really useful addition.

Many thanks
Old 12-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #14
Joe90

Here's another one -

Happens when floating/closing the plugin on the unscaled screen. HiDPI compatibility switch fixes it, but it happens when opening and closing the FX chain too, where the HiDPI switch has no effect. Only noticed it with the valhalla plugins so far - perhaps related to the fact that they are freely resizable?

Also, clicking on an active send in the mixer (which is on the second, unscaled monitor) results in a scrambled dialog box. It works fine when the mixer is moved over to the main 4k screen.

I'm not seeing the send controls issue in edgemeals gif, I checked on both monitors. Just letting you know in case it helps narrow that one down.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #15
Joe90

Another one...

I have some simple cycle action I've created to make certain scripts toggle-able, and they are no longer showing a toggle state in the action menu. They have respective toolbar buttons that light up when the action is toggled on, and these buttons are now flashing when the action is triggered, rather than staying on to represent the toggle state. The action is still triggering on and off, but the toggle state doesn't seem to be being communicated.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:23 PM   #16
Ericson

My god Justin, are you some kind of a coding virtuose wizard? I mean, damn all these improvements and new features so fastly done makes me wanna cry of happyness. Please don't tell me that you also eat all those c++ codes? Haha.
I will try the news builds when I'm home again from vacation and let you know how everything looks on my multi 4k monitors.
Ericson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 12:28 AM   #17
EvilDragon

Shows up in a number of places, and it borked a number of SWS dialogs too...

This is with the new v2 experimental HiDPI mode only, apparently. Please fix!

Last edited by EvilDragon; 12-20-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:26 AM   #18
Soli Deo Gloria

With this dev release, when I send from one track to the other, I see this :

The Send/Receive windows are broken, at least for me. I haven´t touched anything in my setup. I have two monitors and the HiDPI option is set to "Multimonitor aware (recommended)"...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:41 AM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Another one...

I have some simple cycle action I've created to make certain scripts toggle-able, and they are no longer showing a toggle state in the action menu. They have respective toolbar buttons that light up when the action is toggled on, and these buttons are now flashing when the action is triggered, rather than staying on to represent the toggle state. The action is still triggering on and off, but the toggle state doesn't seem to be being communicated.
Could you post one of those actions please?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:43 AM   #20
_Stevie_

I can also see the CC fill issue (default theme):

Old 12-20-2019, 04:50 AM   #21
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
With this dev release, when I send from one track to the other, I see this :

The Send/Receive windows are broken, at least for me. I haven´t touched anything in my setup. I have two monitors and the HiDPI option is set to "Multimonitor aware (recommended)"...
Confirmed this, but I'm set to "Unaware (v5.32-v5.98x behavior)". Seems like this I/O dialog thing happens no matter which HiDPI mode you set.

Definitive regression happening here!
Old 12-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #22
musicbynumbers

V2 multi monitor seems to be fine for me so far over my 4 main monitors. (two of which are set vertically as well).

I'll let you know if I find any anomalies though!
Old 12-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #23
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Another one...

Yes, this version seems to have broken the SWS fake toggle state mechanism somehow.
v6.02

v6.02+dev1219

Info about SWS fake toggle state:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1136

(I understand that REAPER core development always has priority but it be nice it could be keept intact somehow. )

edit:
@Joe90: If you were referring to something else sorry, please elaborate.

Last edited by nofish; 12-20-2019 at 08:15 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #24
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Could you post one of those actions please?
Hi Schwa - It is the same issue that Nofish is referring to. But in case it's helpful, here is an example of one of the simple cycle actions that is not working (the action itself works fine, just not reporting a toggle state) -

I didn't realise cycle actions were an SWS thing. I thought they were a native function.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #25
EvilDragon

That's probably related to

+ Actions: show custom action toggle state as enabled/disabled if all component actions that report a toggle state are enabled/disabled [t=229048]
Old 12-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #26
Ideosound

I posted this in the wrong thread, can't keep up!

Mac 10.14.6 Notes:

Media Explorer:

Normally when you are in a selected folder if you hit a letter key on your keyboard the selection will jump to that folder (if it exists in the alphabet). On letters 'M' and 'T' this doesn't happen. All other letters work. Hitting A will jump and select the first folder beginning with A for example.
Hitting the same key will move it down to the next folder with the same letter if there is one. This is quite slow to respond. Not sure if this can be sped up.

Automation items:

I've tried the copy and paste items and automation items but I can't get the paste to happen on the same tracks. Can we add the ability to hold down command (brings up + copy icon) so we can drag both selected items and automation items? Currently, this doesn't drag copy the automation.

Grouping items and automation items doesn't work either, they should both move when dragged. The automation item stays in the same place. Finally, when using nudging actions, both selected automation items and items should respond to nudges and the action 'SWS move selected items to edit cursor'

Automation items should function exactly like (selected) items when it comes to copying, dragging and actions that work on regular items.

Dark Mode fix:

Text should be white not black, (white text is highlighted to make it easier to spot)

Cheers!
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #27
Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That's probably related to

I think that's the reason I didn't find this 'Action' to translate it!
Old 12-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #28
ovnis

Quote:
Actualy, it's fully useless because it doesn't take account the master volume.
Actualy, this functionnality can work only when the master volume is set to 0 DB...
Sorry, but I will never work my tracks with the master volume settled to 0 DB. I want to keep my ears!

Last edited by ovnis; 12-20-2019 at 01:10 PM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #29
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
Dark Mode fix:

Text should be white not black, (white text is highlighted to make it easier to spot)

If that is ReaPack then you should let the author know (I doubt the text color in ReaPack is set by REAPER).
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #30
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Disregard, I guess a modified colormap is the culprit here.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #31
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
The previous report of this problem was a false alarm, the color change was built into that particular theme. If you are seeing this with the default v6 theme, can you provide more details? What CC is this, what is the "color by" dropdown set to? Are you certain you have not loaded a custom colormap image?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #32
_Stevie_

Yes, it's a custom color map, see my previous post :P
Did the format change and if so, are there any details about it?
Old 12-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #33
ovnis

Quote:
Actualy, it's fully useless because it doesn't take account the master volume.
Actualy, this functionnality can work only when the master volume is set to 0 DB...
Sorry, but I will never work my tracks with the master volume settled to 0 DB. I want to keep my ears!
Plus, the track where we will put the audio file need to be set to 0 DB (whitout plug-in which changes the track volume and when the outpout of the track goes directly to the master track).

For this to work, there are lots of conditions... It seems than few peple will use this option... And it's not sad, because this option adds no really enhancement to the workflow. Seriously, it's at least as fast to tweak the media item volume after the media export with a good mouse modifier...

Last edited by ovnis; 12-20-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #34
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
I didn't read the thread or your issue but there is a hardware out volume *after* the master volume on the master track, it is for controlling the level you hear so the master can always be at 0 dBFS.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #35
ovnis

I prefer to use a big knob and the audio level visual feedback than a tiny rotary knob without visual feedback.

Last edited by ovnis; 12-20-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #36
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
I prefer to use a big knob and the a audio level visual feedback than a tiny rotary knob without visual feedback.
I was just answering about your ears statement - but can't fault your personal desire of course. The master fader shouldn't be used for monitoring volume usually, though you can as long as you reset at render time, it is for rendering level (hence the reason for that hardware output) - lastly its really better to have an external control for monitoring volume though everyone doesn't have that option.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #37
ovnis

Quote:
it is for rendering level
I have made an custom action which set the master volume to 0DB and open the export window. When the audio export is finished the previous master volume is automatically called back. And I prefer handle my mouse and my keyboard than a physical knob. It's more quickly and acurate.

Last edited by ovnis; 12-20-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #38
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
If that is ReaPack then you should let the author know (I doubt the text color in ReaPack is set by REAPER).
I think I checked 3 different packs, the other tabs with text are correct. It's just this 'about' section. I will check it later but I think it's a bug since the other tabs display white on a dark background.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #39
Win Conway

Son of a bitch, I have wanted this for ten years, absolutely brilliant.

Last edited by Win Conway; 12-22-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Win Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #40
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I didn't read the thread or your issue but there is a hardware out volume *after* the master volume on the master track, it is for controlling the level you hear so the master can always be at 0 dBFS.

What theme is this?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote