Old 09-20-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
DarkStar
Human being with feelings

Default TIP: Tinted double-wdith text buttons

This might be useful.

When staring at a series of nondescript text buttons it can be difficult to spot the one you want. Now you can create a tinted background for each button with the text on top but how about double-width buttons?

The trick is to create 2 single width tinted buttons (left-half and right-half) and add the Action twice to the toolbar. As in:

When I get the energy, I'll do the others
Old 09-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
Rednroll

Sounds interesting. Getting text to fit on custom toolbar buttons has been a struggle in many instances where I could see myself wanting to use this more often to overcome that problem.

In which part do you manage having the dual single buttons to act as one button? In other words you have shown where it looks like a single dual wide button has been pressed. How do you go about if you press on one half that it presses down both buttons or does that happen automatically since they're assigned to the same action?

What about the mouse over hoover behavior in that same regard? If say you hoover your mouse over the right side of the now larger button, does it highlight both sides or only the right side your mouse pointer is over?
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
DarkStar

Only one-half highlights, but it's a start.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #4
oneammonday

Why the two halves to make one button? Am I missing the forest for the trees type of thing? The reason I ask, is because I've made my own double width buttons of different types and colors before and everything works perfectly.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:55 PM   #5
DarkStar

Then you have found something I did not know - that icon images can be double width

D'oh. MY tip is rubbish

Last edited by DarkStar; 09-22-2021 at 06:27 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:59 AM   #6
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneammonday View Post
Why the two halves to make one button? Am I missing the forest for the trees type of thing? The reason I ask, is because I've made my own double width buttons of different types and colors before and everything works perfectly.
I haven't tried that yet for the Custom toolbar buttons where the image files are typically 30x30 pixels. So are you saying if you make a 60x30 image that Reaper will automatically scale to that size for the custom toolbar buttons?
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #7
Pink Wool

Toolbar icons can be any size. The normal 3 "panel" icon png is 30px tall by 90px wide... so each of the 3 "panels" would be 30px by 30px

Meaning there's one "panel" for what you see, one for mouse roll over and one for when you click on it. So doubling that width gets you 180px wide (and 30px tall).

Last edited by Pink Wool; 09-22-2021 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Decided not to quote someone else...All props still to Hopi and other people on different threads! :)
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
oneammonday

Yes, Rednroll, just like Pink Wool posted. Hey there, DarkStar. Your info isn't rubbish. I'm pretty sure that it didn't work this way before. At least it seems I tried it before and it squished it into a square. No brilliance on my part, I was bored and tried it again and it worked. Cheers.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote