Old 07-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
Mister_Mondo
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI mapping for motorized faders

Howdy Folks!

Here's my sitch: Just got a Behringer Motor 61 w/ flying faders. Works fine in Mackie Mode, but in MIDI mode, I am unable to get the flying fader feature going. I can move the fader and have the daw react, but if I adjust the volume in the DAW the fader doesn't move.

I've looked all around the net and these forums too, but it's admittedly a bit over my head. It seems like there are some scripts you can import that might solve this, but it seems like a case-by-case as all hardware is different. It also looks like the OSCII-bot is something that might help? The action list is straight forward enough, but I feel like I'm missing something simple when it comes to having the DAW information write back to my faders and encoders.

Any and all help would be appreciated. I am super new to MIDI mapping, but the default Mackie Control settings were just way to limited for this item to be useful for me.
Mister_Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:40 AM   #2
azslow3
Human being with feelings

Probably the simples approach for you is to join: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

OSCII-bot is also an option. You will need:

* pattern file for OSC surface plug-in in REAPER which interpret input and sends feedback for parameters you need. Default pattern is almost what will work, but some default settings in it can be not what you expect (especially "...FOLLOW...")

* OSCII-bot which converts signals from/to MIDI/OSC form:
a) buttons are strait forward (MIDI<->OSC values : 0<->0, 127<->1.)
b) faders are linear, PB MIDI messages (14bit value), so MIDI<->OSC : 0...0x3fff - 0..1.. Well, almost. From what I know, at least some Behringer faders are 7bit in resolution. So check the max value they send, can be 0x3f00. But I think simpler to switch faders into CC in this case (at least for X-Touch Compact that is the case).
b.I) Mackie expects fader feedback when you manually move the fader, fortunately that is the simplest and default behavior
b.II) faders also send touch, as note on/off
c) encoders should be in relative move, note that they send not what they expect to receive for ring indication. Mackie mode has special Mackie encoding. In simple mode, that is probably direct linear (MIDI) value (I do not remember for sure)

* MIDI loopback software with proper routing.

-------------
So, you see... Better just use Mackie surface or join mentioned thread, things are way more complicated otherwise

PS. an alternative solution is in my plans, but I am no longer sure it comes this year...
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote