Old 01-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #81
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilfb View Post
There appears to be a problem drawing the envelope in the Envelope Generator.
I have changed the way that the envelope is represented. The sustain level is now shown as a disconnected horizontal line. If you are using the sustain ramp function, the line will move up or down in sync with the changing sustain level.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:40 AM   #82
Flaneurette

Quote:
I have updated Flaneurette's FX chains for today's changes to parameters and names.
https://stash.reaper.fm/29618/ReaRack...2017-01-25.zip

Thank you! I'm updating my stash in a moment with your FXchains.

Looks nice Time Waster! can't wait to play with the Karplus strong module. Physical modeling is something I enjoy working with.
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #83
Flaneurette

I updated the stash with more presets:

Stash: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/29606/ReaRackChains.zip
Direct Download: https://stash.reaper.fm/29606/ReaRackChains.zip

New presets added:

ReaRack - Basic Saw
ReaRack - Future House FM Growl
ReaRack - Future House FM Chicago Wash
ReaRack - Future House FM WowPump+LFO
ReaRack - Smooth Saw+LFO+Arp (requires stock JS midi arp)
ReaRack - Smooth Saw+LFO
ReaRack - FM Loud Sprinkles (FX!)
ReaRack - FM Call The Cops (FX!)

Please note: ReaPack is required to run the FX chains. See this page for more information: https://reapack.com

Since it's a pure synth, it can get very loud. Please be mindful of this when opening presets.

The presets use Reaper's stock reverb, delay, compressor, distortion, midi arp and gate plugins for portability. Of course, it's always best to use your own plugins for effect shaping. Especially reverb and delay. Since effects are a very important part of the resulting sound -if not the most important- and being mindful of portability, I had to include the stock plugins instead of my own preferred plugins.

Last edited by Flaneurette; 01-30-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #84
Flaneurette

A feature request: I get some clicking noise on fast arpeggiated notes. Right now I filter it out with an EQ, but it would be great if the oscillators have some kind of fade option?

A CC matrix would be great, one where we can route all CC's. Just a simple block with 64 * 64 CC.

Also, it would be nice to detune each oscillator in some kind of module. Currently I detune it with altering the cents manually on each oscillator.

JSFX looks like spaghetti to me, but when I manage to learn it, I will write a module for it.

I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks now, and created some personal presets from discovered sounds. I am not going to share those, as I will be producing a record with it. But I am just amazed how good ReaRack is. I deleted almost all of my Synth VST plugins, because I can do everything inside ReaRack now. And for free. I kept a few Synths for extra layering, and better polyphony, but ReaRack is my staple for leads, arps and basses. If folks would just realize how powerful it is... anyway.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #85
cyrilfb

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
But I am just amazed how good ReaRack is. I deleted almost all of my Synth VST plugins, because I can do everything inside ReaRack now. And for free. I kept a few Synths for extra layering, and better polyphony, but ReaRack is my staple for leads, arps and basses. If folks would just realize how powerful it is... anyway.
^^^THIS!!!

Thanks Time Waster
cyrilfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #86
Dali

Quote:

Thanks Time Waster
Always crack me up to see someone thanking a "time waster"...

Dali
Old 02-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #87
cyrilfb

Default Polyphonic Pads for ReaRack

I have just uploaded a zip file containing eight polyphonic pad track templates using ReaRack. I hope some people find them useful.

https://stash.reaper.fm/29766/ReaRack...kTemplates.zip
Old 02-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #88
Time Waster

I am very happy to see that people are actually using ReaRack. Thanks for your feedback.

As no-one has taken up my kind offer of the privilege of programming an anti aliased oscillator, I am currently 'wasting' some time trying to do so myself. There might be a long wait as I have to learn this stuff as I go.

I'm not considering doing a patch matrix at the moment. After thinking about it, the idea seems limiting and/or difficult to implement, but I remain to be convinced. I think it requires a lot of inter-module communication and a complex (for me) UI.

I think that ideally, each module, when added to the FX chain, would expose it's inputs and outputs to the matrix module as a unique instance. The Matrix UI would then be dynamically populated with those connections, each uniquely named.

A simpler way to do it is have a matrix which just maps one CC to another. However each connection on every module would have to be assigned a unique CC, so you might soon run out of CC's to use. You have to have some way of denoting which CC related to what, so maybe some way to name each connection on the module.

If anyone has other ideas about how a patch matrix could be implemented, please discuss.

Quote:
A feature request: I get some clicking noise on fast arpeggiated notes. Right now I filter it out with an EQ, but it would be great if the oscillators have some kind of fade option?
@Flaneurette. Have you identified the cause of the clicking? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a 'fade option'. Perhaps send me an example project where this occurs.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #89
Flaneurette

Cyrilfb, Nice idea to save it as a track template!

Time Waster, I believe some synths have the ability to fade in/out the oscillator, most often found on a LFO, so that once a key has been struck it doesn't cut in/out half way of the signal/waveform that runs continuously. A kind of cheap way of syncing it? I might do some tinkering with the phase or envelope, but I thought there might be a better way. In another light, it does give it this analogue feel.

Last edited by Flaneurette; 02-08-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #90
Flaneurette

As for the clicky sound, here's an example: https://stash.reaper.fm/29771/artifac...lickrickus.wav

When the LFO fades you can hear the artifacts i.e. clicks. It is exacerbated or made more audible with the reverb though.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #91
Dali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
I am very happy to see that people are actually using ReaRack. Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not considering doing a patch matrix at the moment. After thinking about it, the idea seems limiting and/or difficult to implement, but I remain to be convinced. I think it requires a lot of inter-module communication and a complex (for me) UI.

If anyone has other ideas about how a patch matrix could be implemented, please discuss.
I'm totally talking about something I'm not confident about but would using LBX Channel strip would make it possible to create ReaRacks synths interface 100% in Reaper?

I'm talking about this: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=182233 sitting on top of ReaRack.

Possible? Crazy? Genius?

Dali
Old 02-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #92
Flaneurette

I've made a demo for the sample and hold module.

Download: https://stash.reaper.fm/29793/ReaRack...ample.RfxChain

It's a simple square that is being modulated by the sample 'n hold module.

It works like this:

noise -> S&H -> filter/oscillator

A (silent) white noise oscillator seeds the S&H module with random values. The S&H controls the filter's cutoff as well as another oscillator that generates a square wav. This way, we use the S&H module to make the square oscillator make a slight random change in modulation as well being filtered. Which results in a kind of humanized way of playing a waveform. I have chosen a square wav, because it is easier to hear what is going on.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:34 AM   #93
Time Waster

Quote:
As for the clicky sound, here's an example: https://stash.reaper.fm/29771/artifac...lickrickus.wav

When the LFO fades you can hear the artifacts i.e. clicks. It is exacerbated or made more audible with the reverb though.
Can you tell me what the FX setup is for the example audio? I need to be able to reproduce it to diagnose it.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #94
run_esc

Just wanted to say, this is bloody awesome.

Among many other things I've used ReaRack elements for, just now I was using ReaEQ LP filter setting with your Envelope Generator to give RSM5k a long-missing (and long-missed!) filter complete with envelope, with usable results.

Is it possible to limit the envelope (or the LFO for that matter) to a specified range within 0-127 that I've missed? Like have them only run between (for eg) 50-100?

Thanks for these, great fun.
run_esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #95
Time Waster

Hi run_esc,

Thanks for the feedback! You can use two CC Mixer modules in series to limit the range of a CC signal. Set one module to 'multiply' to limit the lower range and the other to 'add' to limit the upper range.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #96
Time Waster

Default ReaRack Update 1.4

ReaRack has been updated. In this update:

Six new modules, four of which are oscillators (Trapezoidal, Twin-saw, Additive and Noise). The others are a second Envelope Generator and a Note Filter module.

The envelope generator has been updated to include tempo syncing and now includes four trigger modes. There are now two envelope generators. The "Max" version includes parameter modulation inputs. On the standard version the modulation sliders have been hidden (they are still there in the code). The reason for this is that the UI was becoming very unwieldy and you need a 1080P monitor to see it all. I suspect that the parameter modulation wouldn't get used much, so the standard version comes without it. In any case you can always use REAPER's parameter modulation if you need it. One day I will get around to doing a custom UI and add the parameter modulation back in.

The updated Stash copy of the ReaRack collection includes the updated manual.

The Example projects (in the stash copy) have been updated and a new one added (drum machine). To the Karplus-Strong project I have added the use of sample and hold module to randomly de-tune the voices to simulate the imperfect tuning of a guitar as it's being played (at least, when someone with my skill plays a guitar).

In this release and henceforth I have opted to rename any updated modules which would disrupt existing projects, by adding a version number to the filename and description (Envelope Generator 2, LFO 2). Modules with bug fixes which don't affect the functionality will not be renamed.

Refer to the manual for details of the new and updated modules.

Last edited by Time Waster; 08-10-2017 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Deleted reference to ReaPack status.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 PM   #97
mschnell

Not wanting to criticize, just provide suggestions:
Quote:
You can use two CC Mixer modules in series to limit the range of a CC signal.
Of course a "CC Calculator" module providing this - and also some other math - would make sense.

This said, this makes obvious, that the 0..127 resolution of CC is rather coarse, high resolution Midi would provide a resolution of 16000.

And again, maybe optionally using the audio channel instead of the Midi channel could make sense due to higher time and amplitude resolution, with that, there could be a "Signal calculator" module that can be used as a wave shaper as well for audio as for control signals.

But of course, within an FX-channel, the "pin" routing for control signals would be more tedious than using Midi.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:09 PM   #98
mschnell

Quote:
In this update:
Sounds great !!!

Quote:
The Stash copy of the ReaRack collection includes the updated manual.
Is this not the version of the manual that is accessed when following the link in the Reapack "about" for ReaRack ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-08-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #99
mschnell

BTW.:
For developing synths, did you maybe find a more usable spectrum analyzer module than the draft I provided ?

If no, feel free to provide suggestions for making it more usable. As you are the only user, we might work together to make it usable for others.

-Michael
Old 08-08-2017, 10:47 PM   #100
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Of course a "CC Calculator" module providing this - and also some other math - would make sense.
As a minimalist, I'm wary of making any one module do too much. It is a 'modular' synthesizer after all. So if it's not too much bother to combine two modules, I'd rather do that, unless I can see a big advantage in doing otherwise.

I did see a maths module in 'Audulus'. I'm not sure how to go about doing text input in JSFX though. Maybe possible in the @gfx section?

I'm still considering the high res MIDI option, but it requires a re-write of most of my modules, and there are disadvantages to consider.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:50 PM   #101
Time Waster

Quote:
Sounds great !!!

Is this not the version of the manual that is accessed when following the link in the Reapack "about" for ReaRack ?

-Michael
I've updated that one as well. I've also attempted to update the ReaPack version of ReaRack, but I'm not sure if I did it right.

Last edited by Time Waster; 08-08-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Time Waster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #102
Time Waster

Quote:
BTW.:
For developing synths, did you maybe find a more usable spectrum analyzer module than the draft I provided ?

If no, feel free to provide suggestions for making it more usable. As you are the only user, we might work together to make it usable for others.

-Michael
Generally I have just been using ReaEQ, but I did find your analyser useful as is. I'll have a think about possible improvements.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #103
mschnell

For low CPU load, ReaEQ uses a rather low resolution for it's Spectrum. But you always can use SPAN for "normal" analyze.

-Michael
Old 08-09-2017, 11:03 PM   #104
Tale

Or JS: analysis/gfxanalyzer.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:12 AM   #105
Time Waster

The latest update is now available via ReaPack.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #106
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale View Post
Or JS: analysis/gfxanalyzer.
Yep. When increasing the FFT size I (obviously) get similar results as my testing-code shows (if you want a log/log display which usually will be desired).

-Michael
Old 08-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #107
cyrilfb

Default Problem with ReaPack update!

Quote:
The latest update is now available via ReaPack.
I updated from ReaPack yesterday and the ReaRack package deleted the old LFO and Envelope JSX! This nearly ruined a project that was near completion. The new LFO and Envelope have different parameters stored in the project. I was able to read the old project file and get the settings and use them with the new and different modules but it was touch and go and I am still not sure that I have the same sounds that I did have.

Please fix this. I have been using ReaRack every day in my projects and love it. I must be able to rely on projects loading properly after an update. Please also put the zip for ReaRack before this update on the stash appropriately named so that we can recover the older modules.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:40 AM   #108
cfillion

You can undo any update using ReaPack's Package Browser: right click on ReaRack in the list > Versions > 1.2 and apply. Optionally you can select "pin current version".
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #109
cyrilfb

Default Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
You can undo any update using ReaPack's Package Browser: right click on ReaRack in the list > Versions > 1.2 and apply. Optionally you can select "pin current version".
It worked wonderfully. Thanks cfillion.

Timewaster, I really want to use the new version in the future can we have both please?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #110
Time Waster

Sorry, I didn't realise that ReaPack would delete the old version. I'll add the earlier versions back in to the collection.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #111
Time Waster

The old LFO and Envelope Generator have been put in the stash here: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/31415/ReaR...ed_Modules.zip
Old 08-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #112
Time Waster

The previous versions of the envelope generator and the LFO have now been added back into ReaPack.

I should mention that I had made some changes to the Poly Splitter module in this update, which shouldn't affect existing projects (improvements to channel handling and better graphics section). Let me know if there are any issues.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 AM   #113
Ivannn Bennnettt

cool stuff)

I wonder does it can do option to take params fx for lfo?
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:23 AM   #114
Time Waster

You can use REAPER's parameter modulation to modulate ReaRack modules and you can use MIDI CC output from ReaRack modules to modulate other FX using parameter modulation (MIDI Link).
Old 08-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #115
Ivannn Bennnettt

Quote:
You can use REAPER's parameter modulation to modulate ReaRack modules and you can use MIDI CC output from ReaRack modules to modulate other FX using parameter modulation (MIDI Link).
No really what I want. Is it api don't let?
Old 08-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #116
Time Waster

I'm not understanding your question. Perhaps try Google translate?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #117
Ivannn Bennnettt

Quote:
I'm not understanding your question. Perhaps try Google translate?
I mean I'd like to see slide menu with fx param to modulate any fx.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #118
Time Waster

You mean like a patch bay or matrix? This has been suggested by others but is not really possible for me to implement. JSFX has no way of dynamically adding sliders (that I know of), and I think you would need to be able to do that to make a usable patch bay.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #119
mschnell

Quote:
JSFX has no way of dynamically adding sliders (that I know of).
On that behalf, you only can create you own GUI using Graphics on.
-Michael
Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 PM   #120
Ivannn Bennnettt

too bad