Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-11-2024, 12:13 PM   #1
fawudd
Human being with feelings

Default Multi-Machine Reaper Project folders

I have 2 machines: an MBP for mobile work, and a Mac Mini in the studio. For those of you with a similar setup, how are you keeping projects accessible to both machines at all times in an automated fashion? I am already using a manual process of copying project folders to the cloud, but I would like this to be automatic when I save a project. Reaper has a backup feature, but that does not copy the entire project folder. Automator has been a royal pain and has failed. Please share your methodology and/or tools. Thanks
fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 06:10 PM   #2
Philbo King

I open the destination folder, then use Ctrl-left drag the project folder to copy to the destination folder. Takes a few seconds at most.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:24 PM   #3
fawudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I open the destination folder, then use Ctrl-left drag the project folder to copy to the destination folder. Takes a few seconds at most.

Thanks Philbo, but we are looking for an automated way for both machines so that we do not have to remember to manually copy the folder every time we make the slightest change to any of the projects we are working on...
Old 05-14-2024, 01:31 AM   #4
mlprod

If you have a good internet connection you could work on the cloud, like dropbox, icloud etc
Old 05-14-2024, 04:36 AM   #5
Gass n Klang

I have everything on an external drive. No need to sync
Old 05-14-2024, 06:24 AM   #6
fawudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
I have everything on an external drive. No need to sync
We need both environments to be functional simultaneously, and there are differences in the config of the 2 machines, so I just need the project folders. I did try a portable install some time ago on an external drive, and had some performance issues. Have you been satisfied with performance for larger projects?
Old 05-14-2024, 06:10 AM   #7
fawudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
If you have a good internet connection you could work on the cloud, like dropbox, icloud etc
I thought about that for the studio, but I would then want an automated way to copy everything from the cloud to local so that I am not dependent on the internet to work in the field. I am going to experiment with G-Drive which has an option to mirror files rather than streaming them.

What I really want is for Reaper to save a backup of the project folder to a 2nd location like it does for the rpp files. Short of that, I am trying to do the same via some other method.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:10 AM   #8
mlprod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawudd View Post
I thought about that for the studio, but I would then want an automated way to copy everything from the cloud to local so that I am not dependent on the internet to work in the field. I am going to experiment with G-Drive which has an option to mirror files rather than streaming them.

What I really want is for Reaper to save a backup of the project folder to a 2nd location like it does for the rpp files. Short of that, I am trying to do the same via some other method.
You don't need that. Dropbox, icloud and others can have local copies pinned so you'll be working locally.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:48 AM   #9
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawudd View Post
I use a synology NAS for that. Everything gets one way synced from my external project SSD to the NAS in real time as soon as I'm in the studio. Have bad experience using dropbox for this (I had problems using izotope RX on dropbox files).