Old 10-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
Ice
Human being with feelings

Default Loop source crossfade setting?

When I loop a section of a clip, for example a steady room tone that almost loops well on its own (but not quite), I can't get a (cross)fade setting that works naturally.

I am talking about the "take media fade", which seems to default to 10ms. When something needs a longer fade, say 2000ms, the fade sounds linear, so there is a clearly audible dip. I'm looking for a logarithmic crossfade so this looping function sounds natural.

I tried all the default crossfade settings in preferences but that doesn't seem to have any effect on this crossfade.

Is there a place to adjust this crossfade algorithm?
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I tried all the default crossfade settings in preferences but that doesn't seem to have any effect on this crossfade.
The preferences only affect fades that are added after changing the preference, it doesn't affect existing fades.

Also, if you are actually talking about the crossfade when you have the "media item section loop" enabled, that unfortunately only does a linear crossfade and that can't be changed. edit : I added a feature request about this in the feature requests subforum.
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Xenakios; 10-04-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Xenakios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
The preferences only affect fades that are added after changing the preference, it doesn't affect existing fades.

Also, if you are actually talking about the crossfade when you have the "media item section loop" enabled, that unfortunately only does a linear crossfade and that can't be changed. edit : I added a feature request about this in the feature requests subforum.
Thanks yep I'm talking about that "media item section loop". I'll find your feature request thread...

Edit - here is the thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....53#post1894153
Old 10-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

This is just a thought, but if it really is just "room tone", or basically noise, you could try copying the section you want to loop, then reverse the copy and push them right up against each other and glue them together to make a relatively seamless edit. Maybe chop off the first and last sample of the reversed take before gluing? I guess I've never tried it in anything critical, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work, and possibly better than trying to crossfade.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
This is just a thought, but if it really is just "room tone", or basically noise, you could try copying the section you want to loop, then reverse the copy and push them right up against each other and glue them together to make a relatively seamless edit. Maybe chop off the first and last sample of the reversed take before gluing? I guess I've never tried it in anything critical, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work, and possibly better than trying to crossfade.
Room tone is just an example to demo where the flaw is (as opposed to just preventing clicks in music loops). I can easily do normal edits with crossfades, and currently have to. I use the reverse "loop" method a lot as-is.

But doing design, I loop all kinds of sources which are more drastic than room tones, and making the loop source function sound smoother would really make my tasks faster and better.