Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 11-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
dsyrock
Human being with feelings

Default reaper can't display two video at the same time?

I placed two video items in two tracks, and one of them was added a "Video processor" FX. I was trying to made a "picture in picture" effect. But I found that when I played the two video items at the same time, the video window stucked, even the project was still playing as normal. When I moved the edit cursor, the video window changed with it, but when I played, it stucked.

Is that a bug, or Reaper only allow playing one video item?

Last edited by dsyrock; 11-04-2018 at 10:53 PM.
dsyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Haven't worked extensively with the video in Reaper, but you should definitely not have a hard time mixing multiple videos.

Put the video plugin on every track you have video on and make sure you have installed all the video codecs: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Video_Support
Old 11-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
EpicSounds

picture in picture and even layered videos is possible.

reaper doesn't cache previews of your video edits so it has to do many things in realtime to play back video. You can help it by:

1 -making sure the videos are the same frame rate, frame size and color space as your project settings.

2 - disable the audio in the video files (right-click, source properties, check "ignore audio"

3 - set your audio interface block size high, like 1024 samples.

for me the performance killer is when videos have to be converted to and from RGB and other color spaces with fx. Transparent pngs with automation, fuggedabout realtime playback.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:45 AM   #4
dsyrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
picture in picture and even layered videos is possible.

reaper doesn't cache previews of your video edits so it has to do many things in realtime to play back video. You can help it by:

1 -making sure the videos are the same frame rate, frame size and color space as your project settings.

2 - disable the audio in the video files (right-click, source properties, check "ignore audio"

3 - set your audio interface block size high, like 1024 samples.

for me the performance killer is when videos have to be converted to and from RGB and other color spaces with fx. Transparent pngs with automation, fuggedabout realtime playback.
After some test, the problem is in the video editor. I use "Image Overlay"at first, and it was the reason that made the video window stuck. After that I tried to switch to "Track Opacity", then it worked. Both video items were playing smoothly. I think the "Image Overlay" was using quite a lot of cpu for unknow reason
Old 11-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyrock View Post
After some test, the problem is in the video editor. I use "Image Overlay"at first, and it was the reason that made the video window stuck. After that I tried to switch to "Track Opacity", then it worked. Both video items were playing smoothly. I think the "Image Overlay" was using quite a lot of cpu for unknow reason
"image overlay" preset is for images with alpha (transparent) layer and processes in RGB. so yeah, lots of cpu load.

"Track opacity/zoom/pan" or my "JT Essential video controls" is better for simple resizing and positioning.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
dsyrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
"image overlay" preset is for images with alpha (transparent) layer and processes in RGB. so yeah, lots of cpu load.

"Track opacity/zoom/pan" or my "JT Essential video controls" is better for simple resizing and positioning.
Thanks. And is there a link to your "JT Essential video controls" script?