Old 04-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
pieter1
Human being with feelings

Default Buffer/latency problem

Hi guys, new member of reaper here. I have problem which rly annoying me, doesn't matter if I work with midi or only audio tracks. When I hit a play I have to wait about 1 sec to start play, also if I move around project also I have lags. Also on transport bar showing me red flash, and then I have a short cut of song. Same problem with midi when I play on midi keyboard latency is so long that I must wait about 2 sec to hear something... same with virtual instrument, im changing something with knob in v.instrument while it playing and have to wait also about 3 sec to hear something... I was looking for reply about 2 days and can't find correct way to fix it, all threads with buffer and latency etc. didn't help. Any suggestions guys?

Im working on:
Macbook Pro 13 late 11
2,4 GHz i5
8gb 1333mhz ddr3
500 GB ssd

Audio interface:
Scarlett 2i2

Preferences:
Sample rate: 48000
block size: 512
16 bit depth
pieter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
Futur8me

Which macOS are you using???.., and by 16 bit depth do you mean that thats what your audio files bit depth is???.., because Reapers audio engine runs at 64bit unless you have specifically changed it???.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
serr

Having to raise the block size to 512 samples pretty much breaks the live low latency needing system. Coaxing that extra little bit lowering the audio to 16 bit. That's a crude reduction of the audio. 24 bit audio shouldn't be making much of a difference with CPU cycles in this scenario. Something's broken or set wrong.

How are you controlling the sample rate and block size. Reaper (box ticked, value entered on the audio/device page), or another app (boxes unticked in Reaper to disable controls)?

What is Activity Monitor showing?

What OSX? And is it confirmed compatible with the interface? (Current drivers and such)

Last edited by serr; 04-02-2018 at 09:17 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
pieter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
Which macOS are you using???.., and by 16 bit depth do you mean that thats what your audio files bit depth is???.., because Reapers audio engine runs at 64bit unless you have specifically changed it???.

Im using macOS High Sierra 10.13.3
Yup audio files.
Yea I know I didn't change anything its still 64
Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
pieter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Having to raise the block size to 512 samples pretty much breaks the live low latency needing system. Coaxing that extra little bit lowering the audio to 16 bit. That's a crude reduction of the audio. 24 bit audio shouldn't be making much of a difference with CPU cycles in this scenario. Something's broken or set wrong.

How are you controlling the sample rate and block size. Reaper (box ticked, value entered on the audio/device page), or another app (boxes unticked in Reaper to disable controls)?

What is Activity Monitor showing?

What OSX? And is it confirmed compatible with the interface? (Current drivers and such)
Im using high Sierra 10.13.3, I think it isn't problem of interface because the same problem with build output, but yes its confirmed.
boxes unticked in Reaper to disable controls

Funny because on other DAWS I don't have problems like that on Ableton live everything work good on the same settings...hmmm..
Old 04-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Futur8me

Very strange because Reaper plays perfect for me but I do have a i7 6700k cpu.., Reapers GUI on macOS is very laggy anyways.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
pieter1

Quote:
Very strange because Reaper plays perfect for me but I do have a i7 6700k cpu.., Reapers GUI on macOS is very laggy anyways.

Yea Im also don't get it because on performance meter cpu isn't even 20% with 15 fx with v.instruments... I change some things in buffer and it help a bit, but still not good ehhh ...
Old 04-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter1 View Post
Im using high Sierra 10.13.3, I think it isn't problem of interface because the same problem with build output, but yes its confirmed.
boxes unticked in Reaper to disable controls

Funny because on other DAWS I don't have problems like that on Ableton live everything work good on the same settings...hmmm..
What app are you controlling sample rate and block size with while running Reaper then?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Futur8me

Quote:
Yea Im also don't get it because on performance meter cpu isn't even 20% with 15 fx with v.instruments... I change some things in buffer and it help a bit, but still not good ehhh ...

Try deleting the com.cockos.reaper.plist in your preferences folder in the library folder, but be warned this will reset reaper back to its original state, you will lose your settings, but this works for me.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
pieter1

Quote:
Try deleting the com.cockos.reaper.plist in your preferences folder in the library folder, but be warned this will reset reaper back to its original state, you will lose your settings, but this works for me.

Yea I tried this one still the same ;/
Old 04-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
Futur8me

Quote:
Yea I tried this one still the same ;/

Damn it.., haha.., well then I would either completely delete/format my hard drive and freshly reinstall everything again as this has also worked for me in the past but its a time consuming pain.., or I would email support@cockos.com

Old 04-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #12
pieter1

Quote:
Damn it.., haha.., well then I would either completely delete/format my hard drive and freshly reinstall everything again as this has also worked for me in the past but its a time consuming pain.., or I would email support@cockos.com

Im also did it some time ago but yea still same problem haha, damn I have to type to support..
Old 04-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #13
Futur8me

Quote:
Im also did it some time ago but yea still same problem haha, damn I have to type to support..

Yes then its best to email them.

Please report back to us with what the fix is if any.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #14
EpicSounds

is there anything on master track or monitoring fx chain requiring lots of CPU and PDC?
Old 04-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #15
serr

Normally you want to control sample rate and block size from the DAW app. You only disable that and use 3rd party controls if required by the interface.

What you describe sounds related to interface control. Either two audio apps fighting for control over it or no audio apps actually set to control it and mystery default values at play.

Try both and especially try the other if you are having problems.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #16
pieter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
is there anything on master track or monitoring fx chain requiring lots of CPU and PDC?
Nope, nothing on master track or monitoring fx
Old 04-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #17
pieter1

Quote:
Normally you want to control sample rate and block size from the DAW app. You only disable that and use 3rd party controls if required by the interface.

What you describe sounds related to interface control. Either two audio apps fighting for control over it or no audio apps actually set to control it and mystery default values at play.

Try both and especially try the other if you are having problems.
I recorded problem here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN38...ature=youtu.be take a look guys and tell me whats wrong. Ahh and reaper is lagging idk why because other don't lag like this also cpu isn't even 20% with 15 tracks...
Old 04-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
Futur8me

your video link will not work for me.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #19
serr

Try this:

In Reaper preferences/audio/device page, enable both sample rate and block size controls by ticking the boxes next to them. Enter 48000 for sample rate and 512 for block size. Make sure you have the Focusrite selected from the dropdown device menu. Hit 'apply' after all that.

Click on project settings in Reaper and make sure the project sample rate is also 48000 there. (We want no live conversions going on for live performance use.)

Open the Focusrite control panel. Verify that sample rate is also set to 48000 (48k) there. (I don't believe the Focusrite panel has a block size control and I suspect this control was in limbo before.)

Open Reaper preferences/audio/device page one more time. Select the Focusrite again from the dropdown and click apply again even though it was already selected. (Forcing the issue here.)

Now try it.

If that works, start entering lower block size values (eg. 256, 128) and repeat the above to dial down the latency to where you can perform if it lets you.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #20
EpicSounds

I don't think the 2i2 has a control panel on OSX.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #21
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I don't think the 2i2 has a control panel on OSX.
If that's true then you would absolutely want to enable the controls in Reaper! You have to control the sample rate and block size from somewhere. These are critical core audio system settings.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #22
pieter1

Quote:
If that's true then you would absolutely want to enable the controls in Reaper! You have to control the sample rate and block size from somewhere. These are critical core audio system settings.
Okey guys I think I figured out whats going on, I have external hard drive with audio samples etc. And while im playing all samples in project are from my external hard drive. And I think reaper or my cpu(But I think reaper because on Ableton there no problem with that) don't keep up load all samples, thats why its all lagging etc. I took from the same project from video only midi and delete all audio track and it play perfect. when I back with audio track start to lagging and red flashing. you think thats is issue which make all that stuff ?
Old 04-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #23
Futur8me

Quote:
Okey guys I think I figured out whats going on, I have external hard drive with audio samples etc. And while im playing all samples in project are from my external hard drive. And I think reaper or my cpu(But I think reaper because on Ableton there no problem with that) don't keep up load all samples, thats why its all lagging etc. I took from the same project from video only midi and delete all audio track and it play perfect. when I back with audio track start to lagging and red flashing. you think thats is issue which make all that stuff ?

You did not mention you were using an external hard drive before.., if its slower then 7200 rpm this will be an issue.., i use an external 7200rpm hard drive with no problems at all.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #24
Skijumptoes

Is the Ext HDD running over USB? If so, make sure it's not sat on the same bus as any high data rate devices (i.e. your audio interface). If you've got a usb hub in your setup then how are things connected? Ideally you want audio interface AND external drives to have direct route to your mac.

As for performance differences, Depending on how you've used Ableton in the past the samples could've loaded from your external drive and into ram so Ableton has dealt with it more efficiently by only having to fetch the samples from (faster) ram locations, whereas Reaper may be streaming direct from disk - there may be something you can change to correct that?

I've not used Reaper enough to know the full details, but that would be my suspicion.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:47 AM   #25
pieter1

Quote:
Yes then its best to email them.

Please report back to us with what the fix is if any.

Okey Guys I did it. The problem was with external hard drive, it was too slow one to read all audio and that’s why all stuff like that happened. Thanks to all of you who tried to help me! Cheers
Old 04-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #26
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Actually most preferences are not stored in that plist, just a few things are (recent paths in file browse windows, things like that).
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:03 AM   #27
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Actually most preferences are not stored in that plist, just a few things are (recent paths in file browse windows, things like that).

Cool good to know thank you.