Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
Greenerpastures
Human being with feelings

Default Are reapers included plugins all 32bit

Hi everyone
I installed reaper 64bit on windows Ten.
I had another day installed and pointed it at reapers
plug-in folder, it found the plugins, and listed them all as 32bit.

Here is where I found reapers VST 's, C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins

Am just curious as to whether I installed reaper in the wrong place, and thus
ended up with a 32 bit install, though am certain I downloaded the 64 bit install
of reaper.

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm if the plug-ins in question are 32 bit
as reported by my other daw.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: gif Reaper--Plugins--32 bit_.gif (63.9 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Greenerpastures; 01-05-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Greenerpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Xenakios

The binary plugins have the same CPU architecture as the Reaper version they come with. (32 bit plugins for 32 bit Reaper and 64 bit plugins for 64 bit Reaper.) The plugins are not designed to work with other DAW softwares, so you may be seeing incorrect information about them in those other softwares.
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Greenerpastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
The binary plugins have the same CPU architecture as the Reaper version they come with. (32 bit plugins for 32 bit Reaper and 64 bit plugins for 64 bit Reaper.) The plugins are not designed to work with other DAW softwares, so you may be seeing incorrect information about them in those other softwares.
Hi Xenakios
Thank you for posting.
I will keep this in mind, I thought as other VST 's worked in Reaper
that Reaper's VST 's would work in other products, but I think you are
saying the included Reaper ones are binary. Would have been nice to use
the same familiar plugins though.

Thank you for commenting.
Greenerpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:18 AM   #4
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenerpastures View Post
Am just curious as to whether I installed reaper in the wrong place,
There is no "wrong Place" for VST2 plugins - be they 32 or 64 bit. These are allowed to linger anywhere, and any DAW needs to be appropriately configured by the user to be able to find them.

Because this is a decent mess, VTS3 VSTs need to be found at a dedicate place.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #5
RAlive

Would have been nice to use
the same familiar plugins though.

Thank you for commenting.[/QUOTE]

On the Reaper homepage on the bottom you see "reaplugs"clicking that takes you to the place where you can download the Reaplugs VST FX suite for use in other DAWs than Reaper.
RAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #6
Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
There is no "wrong Place" for VST2 plugins - be they 32 or 64 bit. These are allowed to linger anywhere, and any DAW needs to be appropriately configured by the user to be able to find them.

Because this is a decent mess, VTS3 VSTs need to be found at a dedicate place.

-Michael
About 99.9% of the files humanity has produced could be anywhere. I still prefer having more executables in the /bin directory than in the ~/Documents, and I try to keep the number of .jpeg and .torrent files in the /boot partition at the minimum.

We call this "naming convention".

I believe the executables in the "C:\Program Files" are 64bit. The 32bit executables are in the "C:\Program Files (x86)". Both the location of the files "C:\Program Files" and that the folder’s name includes "(x64)" tell me they are 64bit.

Last edited by Mage; 01-07-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
MaXyM

on the other hand, installing programs on boot partition, while common, cannot be called a 'best practice'.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
Andaraginga

Quote:
The plugins are not designed to work with other DAW softwares, so you may be seeing incorrect information about them in those other softwares.
I think my question is related to that.
I am using Reaper (64-bit) as main DAW and sometimes also tracktion and would like to use the Reaplugs in Reaper and in tracktion as well.
For this, I added C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\Plugins\FX as plugin path in Tracktion and scanned for plugins.

The result was a message "Note that the following files appeared to be plugin files, but failed to load correctly" with a list of Reaplugins following.

=> 1. Does that mean that I generally can't use Reaplugins in other DAW like this?
(At first I thought I had just selected the wrong directory, so far)

As far as I remember, it is possible to download Reaplugins as an extra package for other DAWs and I think I also did that at some point in the past.
What I didn't like about that was that this had the effect that in Reaper all the Reaplugins would show up twice. Because of that I deleted that extra package again.

So, I am a bit confused:
=> 2. What is the "correct" way to use Reaplugins in Reaper plus in another DAW without having the plugins appear in Reaper twice?
Old 08-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
Xenakios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaraginga View Post
=> 1. Does that mean that I generally can't use Reaplugins in other DAW like this?
(At first I thought I had just selected the wrong directory, so far)

As far as I remember, it is possible to download Reaplugins as an extra package for other DAWs and I think I also did that at some point in the past.
What I didn't like about that was that this had the effect that in Reaper all the Reaplugins would show up twice. Because of that I deleted that extra package again.

So, I am a bit confused:
=> 2. What is the "correct" way to use Reaplugins in Reaper plus in another DAW without having the plugins appear in Reaper twice?
You can't use the plugins that Reaper installs in any other DAW. You need to have the separate standalone ReaPlugs package installed to get access to that limited selection of the ReaPlugs. (As a note for any future viewers of this thread, the standalone ReaPlugs package is at the moment only available for Windows, as 32 or 64 bit version.)

If both DAWs are searching for plugins in the same directories and the standalone ReaPlugs are in those, Reaper will see the plugins twice. I guess the solution is to have a separate plugin directory where you put the standalone ReaPlugs and point your other DAW software to search from that, and not add that same path into Reaper. (Note that the directory has to be outside the directories Reaper is searching in, since the plugin search is recursive inside to the subdirectories.)

So, something like :
Code:
Program Files/ReaPlugs (make only the other DAW search in this)
Program Files/VST_Plugins (make both Reaper and the other DAW search in this)
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Xenakios; 08-24-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Xenakios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #10
Andaraginga

Quote:
I guess the solution is to have a separate plugin directory where you put the standalone ReaPlugs and point your other DAW software to search from that, and not add that same path into Reaper.
That makes sense. Will do like that next time I install them.
Thanks for explaining.