Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-29-2015, 02:00 AM   #1
assemblethelight
Human being with feelings

Default (i3/i7) Hyper-Threading: i5 or Xeon E3?

Hey guy,:
Keep in mind I am also an IT so I'm not ignorant to computing.

Does anyone know if the Reaper uses logical threads from your CPU or only physical cores? I currently have a DAW that was originally a gaming PC. Its got an Intel i3-4130 which has hyper-threading (2 Physical Cores, 2 Logical Cores, 4-Threads).

I'm not sure if Reaper benefits from Hyper-Treading and if its better to disable HT until get a better CPU; if I will need to upgrade at all. This i3 has been powerful with gaming applications.

Also, if I get a new CPU, it will be one that can handle long hours of use. Of course the Intel Xeon come to mind but Im not spending more than $200 on a CPU. My options are between a Intel i5-4XXX or Intel Xeon E3-1220V3. Not really sure which one is better for Reaper.
assemblethelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:20 AM   #2
bluzkat

Please don't double post.

Thanks.

(mods notified)

Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 AM   #3
assemblethelight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Please don't double post.

Thanks.

(mods notified)

Sorry did not know where to post these particular questions or that you owned this domain.

I'm sorry that double posting bothered you.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:49 AM   #4
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by assemblethelight View Post
Sorry did not know where to post these particular questions or that you owned this domain.

I'm sorry that double posting bothered you.
Maybe you ought to read the rules of the forum that you were suppose to read when you registered.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:58 AM   #5
assemblethelight

Quote:
Maybe you ought to read the rules of the forum that you were suppose to read when you registered.

My first ever post in Reaper forums and I'm greeted by a comment that could have answered my question and made the forum useful. Instead I'm relied to by an individual who is clearly not friendly
Old 01-29-2015, 05:04 AM   #6
bluzkat

Quote:
My first ever post in Reaper forums and I'm greeted by a comment that could have answered my question and made the forum useful. Instead I'm relied to by an individual who is clearly not friendly
Hey, I asked nicely. It gets hard to keep posts straight and get a clear answer when the answers are coming in multiple places.

Later.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
assemblethelight

Quote:
Hey, I asked nicely. It gets hard to keep posts straight and get a clear answer when the answers are coming in multiple places.

Later.

You could have input a little more with your first comment with out being ambiguous with words in parentheses. A simple "sorry cant help with your question" after your straight forward comment would gave me the attention you where assertive. I did not get the vibe that you where being nice or friendly.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:29 AM   #8
drumphil

Yep. Sorry about that assemblethelight. You'll find the rest of us are much friendlier.

Quote:
(mods notified)
I mean, seriously?
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #9
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
Yep. Sorry about that assemblethelight. You'll find the rest of us are much friendlier.

I mean, seriously?
I notified the mods to merge the fuckin' threads. Geez.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #10
polysoniq

Can we all just get along?The guy just wants some info and made an ignorant mistake,anyway to answer your question.
I have three cpu derivatives on various machines in current use, 2 workstations and a laptop.

i3 M 380 at 2.53ghz in Lenovo Z560 Laptop 8 gig ram Windows 8.1
i7 2700k on a Gigabyte Z77- DS3H : 8 gig ram Windows 8.1/Windows 7/OSX 10.9.5
G2020 on Z77X-D3H : 8 gig ram Windows 8.1/OSX 10.10.2

i7 2700k is the best performer even though I fried 2 of the cores from overclocking too high for an extended period ( 4.6 ghz)
I now run that i7 overclocked 24/7 at 4.2 ghz comfortably and I have tested with and without hyperthreading on Cubase ,Protools and Reaper and Logic Pro X.I like it better without .
It really depends on your workflow and how you intend to use Reaper as I get incredible performance at low latency on the G2020 and M 380.I do use a multitude of SSD,s and Terabyte WD Black drives which do make a huge difference in some respects of how I work on my machines.
If you are willing to overclock then just get a k series processor and run it 4.2 ghz minimum,more if it will do it stable.I have been building /modifying/repairing workstations for more than 15 years mostly for video and music production and these days I find even entry level processors have the ability to get it done.Give some info about your priority.
Low latency
VSTI
Sample Libraries
High track count for audio
Multitasking different applications
And what is the rest of the computer configuration?Audio Interface etc?
Hope that helps.
polysoniq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #11
serr

Quote:
Hey guy,:
Keep in mind I am also an IT so I'm not ignorant to computing.

Does anyone know if the Reaper uses logical threads from your CPU or only physical cores? I currently have a DAW that was originally a gaming PC. Its got an Intel i3-4130 which has hyper-threading (2 Physical Cores, 2 Logical Cores, 4-Threads).

I'm not sure if Reaper benefits from Hyper-Treading and if its better to disable HT until get a better CPU; if I will need to upgrade at all. This i3 has been powerful with gaming applications.

Also, if I get a new CPU, it will be one that can handle long hours of use. Of course the Intel Xeon come to mind but Im not spending more than $200 on a CPU. My options are between a Intel i5-4XXX or Intel Xeon E3-1220V3. Not really sure which one is better for Reaper.
Reaper likes to manage its own processing threads. Turn hyperthreading off or Reaper will just fight with it.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote