Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 04-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #1
michael diemer
Human being with feelings

Default Secondary Drive Not Seen By Wine

I have the free Kontakt5 Player up and running (standalone- don't know how to get it into Reaper yet). I have Cinematic Strings installed on my D drive, but Wine cannot see it, so I can't load an instrument into KP to see if it will work. It works fine with GPO 3, an old version of Garritan which used the KP(later versions use Aria).

So , how do I get Wine to see my drive, where I have all my big libraries installed? It's not listed in the Wine application tree. I see "C" and my DVD drive, and "F" and "Z", but you can't open them. I'll check around the documentation here, but if anyone has the quick answer I'd be much obliged!
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #2
JamesPeters

Run winecfg, look at the "drives" tab. You should be able to add it there.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #3
Glennbo

First of all, the drive must be mounted in Linux. Can you browse to that drive using the native Linux file browser? It will be dimmed if not mounted and clicking it will auto-mount it.

Once you are sure Linux sees it, then it should appear as one of the drive letters in WINE. If it doesn't show up directly as one of the drive letters, drive M: is Linux mount points which will have names like sdb1 and UUIDs. One of those will be the second physical drives.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #4
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
First of all, the drive must be mounted in Linux. Can you browse to that drive using the native Linux file browser? It will be dimmed if not mounted and clicking it will auto-mount it.

Once you are sure Linux sees it, then it should appear as one of the drive letters in WINE. If it doesn't show up directly as one of the drive letters, drive M: is Linux mount points which will have names like sdb1 and UUIDs. One of those will be the second physical drives.
Mounting it was a good idea (so basic - wake up, michael). I can now navigate within the NI browsing tree, and it shows up as "New Volume," which is what Windows calls it. I found it under /run/media/michael/new volume. however, when selecting it I get an error message that it's the wrong path. I may need to rename the drive. although i'm not sure that's possible. If all else fails, I'm going to reinstall the downloaded files to C drive, that should solve it.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Mounting it was a good idea (so basic - wake up, michael). I can now navigate within the NI browsing tree, and it shows up as "New Volume," which is what Windows calls it. I found it under /run/media/michael/new volume. however, when selecting it I get an error message that it's the wrong path. I may need to rename the drive. although i'm not sure that's possible. If all else fails, I'm going to reinstall the downloaded files to C drive, that should solve it.
Try going in through the drive M: and then figure out which of those devices is the same drive. Seems like I had to do that with either Kontakt or Superior Drummer to point to it's library, and it was happy after that.

Also if you need that drive to auto-mount at boot time, the "Disks" applet easily adds a mount entry in fstab so you have less risk of messing things up trying to do it manually.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Mounting it was a good idea (so basic - wake up, michael).
Yeah, you definitely do NOT want to use Debian at this point.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote