Old 11-14-2021, 01:57 AM   #121
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
It's an eeevile Windows 10 strangle hold!!!

Hehe, you could also try making a bootable flash install disk. Your BIOS might possibly be set to look at flash media before HDDs/SSDs.
Typing to you on my sad little i3 laptop via Manjero KDE!!!
I took the SSD out this morning & all of a sudden the computer was happily loading the Manjaro version I had d/l`d with no issues, so I am guessing I have been hitting the wrong key to access the boot order on the i3.
Now I am going to see if I can persuade it to work with the disk installed as well! Makes me feel like I am a total numpty, considering the decades I have worked on assorted computers...
Old 11-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #122
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Typing to you on my sad little i3 laptop via Manjero KDE!!!
I took the SSD out this morning & all of a sudden the computer was happily loading the Manjaro version I had d/l`d with no issues, so I am guessing I have been hitting the wrong key to access the boot order on the i3.
Now I am going to see if I can persuade it to work with the disk installed as well! Makes me feel like I am a total numpty, considering the decades I have worked on assorted computers...
Veddy cool! BTW, the XFCE version is a lighter weight desktop, which may feel snappier on your i3. I use the XFCE version on my DAW and find it capable of everything I need.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #123
ivansc

Yippee! I decided to give AVL studio version a go & it is XFCE and has just loaded up on my i3 with no hard drive at all, just memory, with WINE and all the other stuff pre-installed. I have a spare 320gb SSD so I will be installing it all on that!

Wondering how long it will be before I migrate to Manjaro properly....

Thanks to all who have pointed me in the right direction.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:03 AM   #124
dubstar

I use Linux because of its safety. Everything that has any value for me is done on PC with Linux. You are free of Spy apps and such methods of their installment are impossible https://celltrackingapps.com/how-to-install-spy-apps/. I forget about viruses, malware and so on. The only thing you must know is that you should learn how to use Linux properly. It is not Windows and it is not MacOS.
dubstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:14 PM   #125
rncwalker

Quote:
I use the XFCE version on my DAW and find it capable of everything I need.

I installed Manjaro XFCE as well....

How do I get my network to work, I have 6 PC's (Win10) and a Server (Server2019) that I need access to?

Also how to I remote into a Windows PC?

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:45 PM   #126
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
I installed Manjaro XFCE as well....

How do I get my network to work, I have 6 PC's (Win10) and a Server (Server2019) that I need access to?
I haven't had any Windows machines on my network for 3.5 years, and I was running Xubuntu then, but I remember setting my workgroup name to match the Windows workgroup name I had setup, and I was able to browse all the Windows machines.

Even with the workgroup name set differently, you might be able to hit the Windows shares by entering their explicit path into the file browser. IOW, something like //Server/Share. You might need gvfs-smb too if it's not already installed.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:04 AM   #127
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Yippee! I decided to give AVL studio version a go & it is XFCE and has just loaded up on my i3 with no hard drive at all, just memory, with WINE and all the other stuff pre-installed. I have a spare 320gb SSD so I will be installing it all on that!

Wondering how long it will be before I migrate to Manjaro properly....

Thanks to all who have pointed me in the right direction.
How did your AVL migration go? Let us know and don't keep us in suspense
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:40 AM   #128
reapercurious

I went Linux for good 8 months ago. It's a full time job just keeping it working so if you need a new hobby there you are.

A lot of developers are making linux-native plugins and programs, but often i need to use the windows versions with Yabridge because very often, the linux versions don't work very well.

I don't know what it is but Windows was a breeze to use. You'd figure that Linux would be "rock solid" but in reality it's full of holes. not even REISUB works anymore. put it this way, it's no utopia. I need to press and hold the power button once a day due to irrecoverable crashes. and the "killall reaper" command will be your frenemy.

Firefox works perfectly, a lot of programs work perfectly, but "pro audio" is a bleeding edge field and so I don't expect it (Linux) to ever be able to keep up until all the major developers move away from their primary marketshare platforms. besides, there might be a lot of money in the pro audio software business, but not for most developers, only the most popular ones.

developers need motivation to make Linux a better workstation platform and the random volunteer developer model doesn't seem to have the same result as the get paid model. you can use Linux in your pro studio in 2022, but you'll need an in-shop full time linux system administrator if you need to be making albums. That's why commercial studios don't have linux machines hooked up to their SSL's running their pro toolses.

So be warned, Linux itself is a hobby so you are adding another hobby to your hobby.

Last edited by reapercurious; 05-27-2022 at 03:10 AM.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:00 AM   #129
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapercurious View Post
I don't know what it is but Windows was a breeze to use. You'd figure that Linux would be "rock solid" but in reality it's full of holes. not even REISUB works anymore. put it this way, it's no utopia. I need to press and hold the power button once a day due to irrecoverable crashes. and the "killall reaper" command will be your frenemy.

[...]

So be warned, Linux itself is a hobby so you are adding another hobby to your hobby.
Don't know what you are doing, but I have used Linux for four years now, turning my DAW on at 8:00am every morning, and not powering down until midnight or later, and I've never had to hold the power button down to force a shutdown.

I don't try to make Linux be Windows, so I only run a handful of Windows plugins like Kontakt, Superior Drummer, Guitar Rig and a few other instrument plugins. I've replaced all my old Windows audio plugins with native Linux ones, so no Windows emulation is needed for them.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:23 AM   #130
Held

Quote:
I don't think your experience is representative at all. Linux might be more challenging to set up, but once it's running, it usually keeps running until the hardware gives up.

Windows, on the other hand, tends to require a yearly reinstall to stay fresh.
Held is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 06:55 AM   #131
chmaha

Quote:
Most of us certainly don't have this experience. We are currently trying to help you over in the Linux subforum so perhaps resist posting opinion-masquerading-as-fact until we are absolutely certain that we are not dealing with PEBCAK. I say this with respect.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:46 AM   #132
SmajjL

Quote:
Don't know what you are doing, but I have used Linux for four years now, turning my DAW on at 8:00am every morning, and not powering down until midnight or later, and I've never had to hold the power button down to force a shutdown.

I type shutdown 23:30 in the Terminal (if it feels like a good prediction of sleepytime)

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-27-2022 at 09:17 AM.
SmajjL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:20 AM   #133
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
I type shutdown 23:30 in the Terminal (if it feels like a good prediction of sleepytime)
Geez, that's early I'd be scrambling for shutdown -c...

Last edited by chmaha; 05-27-2022 at 09:35 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #134
SmajjL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
Geez, that's early I'd be scrambling for shutdown -c (or init 5 in emergency situations)...

Yeah, no - way! today or tomorrow! (speaking for myself) but i do wish that command would make SmajjL sleep also ("sometimes"), afraid not
Old 05-27-2022, 10:56 AM   #135
Glennbo

Quote:
I used to have "shutdown -h now" on a hotkey, and had given my username the privileges to do so, but now I have GUI buttons on the bottom of my screen along with some other gizmos to Log Out, Reboot, and Shutdown. Shutdown is the bottom right thing and I can hit it with my eyes closed.

Last edited by Glennbo; 06-08-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:22 PM   #136
SmajjL

Quote:
I can hit it with my eyes closed.

The force is strong with this one
Old 05-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #137
chmaha

Quote:
The force is strong with this one
Until he mistakes it for a record button at 1 in the morning.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #138
SmajjL

Quote:

BAM! top selling DizZney music of happy accident
Old 05-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #139
Glennbo

Quote:
Quote:
BAM! top selling DizZney music of happy accident
My action buttons are all set for single click and no confirmation.

While that makes it possible that I could shutdown with unsaved work still open in REAPER, it's not very probable because I use Ctrl+R to get into record.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:39 AM   #140
Pashkuli
Banned

If you ask yourself "Should I..." then do not do it.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 01:50 AM   #141
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashkuli View Post
If you ask yourself "Should I..." then do not do it.
Faulty logic. "Should I help that 80-year-old who just dropped their shopping bags and is clearly struggling to pick them up?"

"Should I...?" is filled with infinite possibilities and opens many doors to enlightenment
Old 05-28-2022, 09:05 AM   #142
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Faulty logic. "Should I help that 80-year-old who just dropped their shopping bags and is clearly struggling to pick them up?"

"Should I...?" is filled with infinite possibilities and opens many doors to enlightenment

You need to stick to the audience in here with your example for better understandability:

"Should I record this great song in my head, that will be bigger than the Beatles and therefore Jesus and make me rich and famous until the universe grows cold?"

Edit: though I actually wonder now, if we have 80 year olds in this forum...
Hmmm...

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #143
SmajjL

Wiie! i spontaniously bought my first Linux Format magazine! made of paper n stuff, no batteries needed
True story btw

Ps, the thread is 9 years old, maby Sower is now a black belt penguin?

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-28-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 02:31 AM   #144
chmaha

Quote:
Ps, the thread is 9 years old, maby Sower is now a black belt penguin?
Sadly, I think not. Back on Jan 27th 2013 (the date they last posted!), it seemed pretty certain Sower was sticking with Clippy.

Not that I have anything against office stationery:

If Justin's a fan, so am I
Old 05-29-2022, 02:15 PM   #145
reapercurious

Quote:

I don't try to make Linux be Windows, so I only run a handful of Windows plugins like Kontakt, Superior Drummer, Guitar Rig and a few other instrument plugins. I've replaced all my old Windows audio plugins with native Linux ones, so no Windows emulation is needed for them.
i meant that i get hard crashes using Reaper where there's no more GUI response and alt+SysRq, REISUB doesn't shut my system down.

This is only my experience, a fact for me not for everyone. I went Linux and never went back, it's mostly great, but it's got a learning curve. Newbies will struggle, especially ones with day jobs and not infinite time to tinker.

This is my opinion contribution for the "should I go Linux" question. Go for it, but you may or may not determine for yourself that it is a hobby in of itself.
reapercurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #146
SmajjL

Quote:
Sadly, I think not. Back on Jan 27th 2013 (the date they last posted!), it seemed pretty certain Sower was sticking with Clippy.
Ohh, you snoopy detective you
I think Linux is "easier now and I for one was happy when REAPER got straight ALSA.
But that said, nothing was "easy" and fast at first when you knew nothing except, thank gawd for the internet posts of helpful people, if there is a problem, usually some already beat you to it asking about it

So now atleast i can follow Phoronix with some enthusiasm, not so much before
Wait one sec, you are using all 3 OS'es?

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-29-2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #147
chmaha

Quote:
Ohh, you snoopy detective you
I think Linux is "easier now and I for one was happy when REAPER got straight ALSA.
But that said, nothing was "easy" and fast at first when you knew nothing except, thank gawd for the internet posts of helpful people, if there is a problem, usually some already beat you to it asking about it

Wait one sec, you are using all 3 OS'es?
For a time I had three separate machines so that I could be a quick study of the dark arts. My apartment was warm enough so I sold the iMac and donated my Windows box to a friend. I now maintain a desktop and a laptop both running Arch. I sometimes think I hear Manjaro calling to me in the night...
Old 05-29-2022, 04:09 PM   #148
SmajjL

Quote:
For a time I had three separate machines so that I could be a quick study of the dark arts. My apartment was warm enough so I sold the iMac and donated my Windows box to a friend. I now maintain a desktop and a laptop both running Arch. I sometimes think I hear Manjaro calling to me in the night...
Yup, have given speeches about how i will end up with two computers sometime.. had two chances using Linux, always turn out the same..

Been on Fedora for a while and it support Secure-Boot so one step less to do when i switch back and forth to Windows, but not sure how much of importance secure-boot is under Arch, if there is any point of emergency to care about? its Linux?

Pure Arch have signed packages i think, and if you only install pretty normal stuff that have many eyes of interest on it, it should be fine. (theory)

I am tempted to try and use Arch until it breaks, update it regularly and it should be fine (so i've read) and, its orgin is from Jim Carrey country