Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #1
Blargo
Human being with feelings

Default Free Item Positioning: Y-position no longer preserved when pasting

Ever since the update to 6.54, pasting items in free item positioning mode resets their y position and re-sizes them to fill the whole track.

I'm not 100% sure if this is a bug or a new feature, but it is *very* troublesome. I often use the vertical position/ size of items in Free Item Positioning to organize different pitches of the same sample in the same track. It is CRITICAL that I get the old behavior from 6.53 back.

I believe this may be a bug, because this behavior is identical to what the pasted items do in 6.54 with Free Item Positioning mode turned OFF. As of 6.54, it appears that pasting items simply ignores whether Free Item Positioning mode is ON/OFF when deciding how to place the items.

If this was an intentional change, PLEASE give us a setting that preserves the functionality of Free Item Positioning in 6.53. It's massively inconvenient to have my samples visually scattered and resized ever time I want to duplicate them. I use Reaper everyday, and I've been postponing updates past 6.53 because this issue is so important to my workflow.

I love Reaper and I need this fix!

(if this has already been addressed somewhere and I missed it, sorry! I'm new to the forum)
Blargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:12 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Yes, this behavior did change, along with some other fipm-related behaviors. We can change it back for today's prerelease build but we will need to watch for unintended consequences.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:56 AM   #3
Blargo

Yo! Thank you so much!

I just downloaded the lastest pre-release. And I'm having no issues with fipm so far.

Sorry I didn't see this till today- I thought I was set up to get notifications on this thread but I wasn't. Oops!

Anyway, if it would be helpful, I can post here about any "unintended consequences" I run into using fipm in the pre-release build.

You rock! Thanks for patching this for me (:
Old 09-09-2022, 01:01 PM   #4
AndreyH-H

So what's the result?
AndreyH-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 01:06 PM   #5
Blargo

Everything has been working as normal! I haven't noticed any weirdness or glitches related to free item positioning since they reverted it back for me <3 I am grateful everyday that they were willing/able to restore the ability to copy and paste relative Y coordinates for items in free-item positioning.

Thanks again Schwa!
Old 09-11-2022, 05:00 PM   #6
AndreyH-H

It would be better to make these changes in the behavior of FIPM in the form of additional settings in preferences, and leave the previous behavior by default. Or vice versa, leave the previous behavior in the form of a setting.
For example, changes create a problem for slicing a sample horizontally. This arrangement allows you to select any piece of the sample and its copy for editing throughout the track separately from the others. Disabling FIPM makes editing with a waveform more convenient, but the next time FIPM is enabled, it no longer saves the items arrangement.
Attached Images
File Type: png Sample cut FIPM On.png (32.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: png Edit Sample FIPM Off.png (190.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: png Back FIPM On.png (98.3 KB, 112 views)
AndreyH-H is offline   Reply With Quote