Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-19-2022, 08:35 PM   #1
bgsaxman
Human being with feelings

Default Set project tempo from selection moves selection, adds a measure

Expected results: I should be able to match the click to the tempo of the piece
Actual results: The selection changes to a single bar of the original project, not to what I selected. A bar is added. The tempo does not match the source.

Steps:
1) Load an audio file, one where the tempo is not clear at the outset.
2) Under File/Project settings, make sure the 'Timebase for events...' is set to 'Time'.
3) Mark the beginning and end of a region where the tempo is obvious, and double click above to make a selection. It's two bars long.
4) Loop the section to make sure it's solid, and it is.
5) Right-click the selected area and select Set project tempo from time selection...

What happens at this point is this:
The selection area moves over to wherever the current barline setup is, encompassing two bars, but not the area that was selected.
The history shows that I performed an "Add measure from time selection" which, of course, I did not.

The history reads like this:
Added marker
Added marker
Time selection change
Set track free item positioning
Add measure from time selection

After the time selection change, I simply right-clicked and set project tempo...

The project tempo, of course, does not at all match the selected area.

Reaper 6.56/win64

I hope this helps to understand what is happening.
bgsaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
bgsaxman

Default Anyone have an answer for this?

I still can't get this to work. Does anyone have an idea, or could this be a bug?
Old 05-26-2022, 04:20 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

There is a potential bug in that the original time selection can be incorrectly cleared with some combination of existing tempo and detected tempo, fixing that. But in general I'm not seeing the behavior you are describing. Could you possibly save a tiny .rpp (you can delete all the tracks even) with the existing tempo and time selection saved in a way that will demonstrate the problem when the "set project tempo" action is run, and also specify exactly which action is run (there are several similar ones)?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #4
bgsaxman

Default Posting RPP file

Attached is the RPP file. I think I was super clear about every step I took, but if you like, I can go back to the beginning and create the track, make the time marks, and set tempo to get a very small number of actions.

bgsaxman
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Set-tempo.rpp (3.0 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by bgsaxman; 05-28-2022 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Adding smaller rpp file
Old 05-29-2022, 04:37 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

Thanks for posting the project. If I select the area between the two project markers and run "set project tempo from time selection (detect tempo)", the tempo changes to 123.004 bpm, which places the two markers exactly one measure apart.

Maybe you were expecting the grid to align as well? If you want the grid to align, you'll need to start the tempo mapping at the start of the project.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:11 PM   #6
bgsaxman

Default Thanks schwa

The tempo at the beginning of the project is very hard to determine, hence setting it from a later point, when the bass and drums come in. The idea to set it this way comes from a Kenny Gioia video, where the bars and the click seemed to line up perfectly with the off-the-money selection. I would like the bars to line up for the purpose of being able to transcribe some difficult rhythms.
Perhaps the only way to make that happen is to "cut" the track prior to the "a tempo".

Thanks for your attention to this.
bgsaxman