Old 04-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
not-relevant
Human being with feelings

Default Even bar numbers?

Is there a way to configure REAPER to show even rather than odd bar numbers?

I realize this is non-standard, but I want REAPER to count the first bar as bar zero, and then highlight subsequent even bar numbers along the top, rather than odd ones.

This is because I find it easier to jump around to bars that are even powers of two, rather than powers of two plus one: for example, bar 32 is 4 x 8 bars from the start. I can't get my head around the idea that sections start at bar 17 or bar 65...

I know I can move where the the first bar is, and this gets my section starts to land on even numbered bars, but it doesn't affect REAPER's preference for displaying only odd bar numbers and so I'm still hunting around a sea of odd numbers looking for the even bars...

Any ideas?

Thanks
not-relevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #2
Fergler

Options > Project Settings

Project start measure = 0
Tick the box for base ruler off this

I do the same for my project default except I don't tick the box because I come from orchestral/band chart reading where I'm really used to seeing 17/33 etc. It's a common joke that orchestral writers intentionally rehearsal mark bar 69 just to make conductors say it out loud but in fact this is just a coincidence as 32 measure musical ideas with a 4 measure introductory phrase is extremely common.

Last edited by Fergler; 04-10-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
not-relevant

Ah, thanks - yep, that does it. Have now manged to get 4 bars before the song start, numbered from -4, song start on zero, and even numbered bar count in the arrange view - exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited by not-relevant; 04-10-2020 at 03:59 PM.
not-relevant is offline   Reply With Quote