Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
Bansaw
Human being with feelings

Default Melodyne - how do I "write" out the changes Melodyne makes to my vocal audio ?

I use Melodyne essential on my vocal tracks.

When I make adjustments to the vocal audio, I'd like to make them permanent to the vocal audio, not just keep them in the Melodyne plugin itself.
Thats because I've had issues with Melodyne not working 100% reliably with Reaper, and it "forgetting" changes I've made.

Is there a way to make changes in Melodyne and them write them out so they become permanent. I know I can "render a track and mute originals" - I think that applys the plugins Fx to the audio, but is there any other way?

(I'm using ARA mainly, but am open to using the old "transfer" Melodyne method; Reaper and Melodyne ARA have had a few bugs here and there).
Bansaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #2
bigjoe

just right click on the track and select "render Track as mono STEM" by temporarily bypass other FX.
Then just move the FX on the rendered tracks.
Actually there's no other way (other than recording the output of the track to new one...which is the same as render, but a lot slower)
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #3
Joe90

I use melodyne as take fx, then use the action -

'Item: Render items to new take (preserve source type)'

This keeps my melodyned data on take 1, still preserved, and the bounced output of melodyne is on take 2. This keeps ALL the original melodyned data preserved, even when splitting/copying/nudging the items around.

You could just glue the file to preserve your edit, but I tend to avoid this as if you try and undo that glue, then melodyne will reanalyse the audio and you will lose all your previous melodyne edits. Learnt that one the hard way.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I use melodyne as take fx, then use the action -

'Item: Render items to new take (preserve source type)'

This keeps my melodyned data on take 1, still preserved, and the bounced output of melodyne is on take 2. This keeps ALL the original melodyned data preserved, even when splitting/copying/nudging the items around.
Aren't lots of Melodyne instances accumulating with this approach?

Old 04-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #5
vanceen

"Actually there's no other way (other than recording the output of the track to new one...which is the same as render, but a lot slower)"

I've been using "Render item as new take", which seems to work.

I'm in the habit of saving my take tracks to a separate file to keep things uncluttered, so I would still have the original takes if something goes wrong with the edited version. (This has bailed me out many times.)

If "Render item as new take" is not a reliable way of printing Melodyne edits, I would love to know about it.
vanceen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
Aren't lots of Melodyne instances accumulating with this approach?

Yup. never noticed an issue though. All the various items communicate smoothly as you'd want them to - i.e - When one melodyne item is open for editing on the track, you can see other 'active' items that all also contain melodyne data on that track (and others, depending on your melodyne version).

In fact, you could argue that whilst there are more instances of melodyne, there is actually far less ARA data being stored and processed, because I'm not having to load an instance of melodyne per track, so I'm not having melodyne examine and store ALL audio info for each track that needs a tweak, I'm just applying melodyne to the specific items that need it.

I have a macro that loads melodyne on an item as item FX, then docks the FX chain at the bottom of the main project window, and zooms in on the part ready for editing, so it works just like variaudio in Cubase or flex pitch in Logic, feels very well integrated and smooth as a one click function.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #7
Rick Settle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
I use Melodyne essential on my vocal tracks.

When I make adjustments to the vocal audio, I'd like to make them permanent to the vocal audio, not just keep them in the Melodyne plugin itself.
Thats because I've had issues with Melodyne not working 100% reliably with Reaper, and it "forgetting" changes I've made.

Is there a way to make changes in Melodyne and them write them out so they become permanent. I know I can "render a track and mute originals" - I think that applys the plugins Fx to the audio, but is there any other way?

(I'm using ARA mainly, but am open to using the old "transfer" Melodyne method; Reaper and Melodyne ARA have had a few bugs here and there).
It has been stated that you have to render the stem to make it permanent. That isn't the way I do it. I use Melodyne as an external editor and when I am satisfied with the result, I use the file menu in Melodyne to "Replace Audio".
Rick Settle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:46 AM   #8
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Yup. never noticed an issue though. All the various items communicate smoothly as you'd want them to - i.e - When one melodyne item is open for editing on the track, you can see other 'active' items that all also contain melodyne data on that track (and others, depending on your melodyne version).

In fact, you could argue that whilst there are more instances of melodyne, there is actually far less ARA data being stored and processed, because I'm not having to load an instance of melodyne per track, so I'm not having melodyne examine and store ALL audio info for each track that needs a tweak, I'm just applying melodyne to the specific items that need it.

I have a macro that loads melodyne on an item as item FX, then docks the FX chain at the bottom of the main project window, and zooms in on the part ready for editing, so it works just like variaudio in Cubase or flex pitch in Logic, feels very well integrated and smooth as a one click function.
thanks! This macro is intriguing ... How would I do this?

Old 04-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #9
Joe90

Quote:
thanks! This macro is intriguing ... How would I do this?

It looks like this -

SWS: Horizontal zoom to selected items (not strictly necessary, but I like it)
SWS: Select only track(s) with selected item(s)
Item: Show FX chain for item take
Insert FX: VST3: Melodyne (Celemony)
Dock/undock currently focused window

For that second to last action, you will need to assign a shortcut to melodyne from the FX browser, I don't think that 'insert FX' action will be available for it until you do.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
Bansaw

thanks to all who responded, very helpful !
Old 04-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #11
SonicAxiom

Quote:
It looks like this -

SWS: Horizontal zoom to selected items (not strictly necessary, but I like it)
SWS: Select only track(s) with selected item(s)
Item: Show FX chain for item take
Insert FX: VST3: Melodyne (Celemony)
Dock/undock currently focused window

For that second to last action, you will need to assign a shortcut to melodyne from the FX browser, I don't think that 'insert FX' action will be available for it until you do.
thanks again, Joe! Cool macro. I got it working. I'm now comparing speed and convenience to my usual workflow. I usually keep Melodyne inserted in a track below the vocals (no other fx on that track, Melodyne window kept open). I'm then

1. making a time selection encompassing the section I'd like to pitch-correct.
2. important: select only the item that should be pitch-corrected (deselect everything else)!
3. I trigger a custom action that splits the selected item at the time selection and moves that newly split item to the track below.
4. I perform the necessary pitch editing.
5. I finally select the edited item and trigger a custom action that renders the edited item to a mono take incl. track fx (=Melodyne), then moves the item back up to its original track and finally glues it.

This procedure may be slightly quicker than yours because Melodyne doesn't have to be loaded and opened anew every time. I'll continue comparing both methods to find out which one I really prefer.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 05-02-2020 at 12:43 PM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #12
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

@SonicAxiom, Would you be willing to share your macros? That looks like a very efficient way to work and I'd like to check it out.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #13
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
@SonicAxiom, Would you be willing to share your macros? That looks like a very efficient way to work and I'd like to check it out.
sure. I already mentioned the actions in my post but it may not be completely obvious which ones I've been referring to.

First macro:

1. SWS: Split items at time selection (if exists), else at edit cursor (also during playback)
2. Item edit: Move items/envelope points down one track/a bit

Second macro:

1. Item: Apply track/take FX to items (mono output)
2. Item: Glue items
3. Item edit: Move items/envelope points up one track/a bit

You have to define the desired time selection AND make sure that only the item in question is selected (!) prior to triggering the first custom action and you have to click on the edited item on the lower track prior to triggering the second custom action (else, focus remains on Melodyne's window and custom action will not be executed on the item).

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 05-02-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #14
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

Thank you very much for that, greatly appreciated. I was a little uncertain on the specific actions, that's why I asked. It looks like a really well streamlined workflow for dealing with Melodyne. Again, thank you.
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:02 AM   #15
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
Thank you very much for that, greatly appreciated. I was a little uncertain on the specific actions, that's why I asked. It looks like a really well streamlined workflow for dealing with Melodyne. Again, thank you.
you're welcome!

For those preferring to work non-distructively: Simply omit the second action (glueing the item) in the second macro. You'll get two takes for your edited selection - one unaltered and one pitch-corrected.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #16
Bansaw

Quote:
sure. I already mentioned the actions in my post but it may not be completely obvious which ones I've been referring to.

First macro:

1. SWS: Split items at time selection (if exists), else at edit cursor (also during playback)
2. Item edit: Move items/envelope points down one track/a bit

Second macro:

1. Item: Apply track/take FX to items (mono output)
2. Item: Glue items
3. Item edit: Move items/envelope points up one track/a bit

You have to define the desired time selection prior to triggering the first custom action and you have to click on the edited item on the lower track prior to triggering the second custom action (else, focus remains on Melodyne's window and custom action will not be executed on the item).

Thanks, I implemented these macros and they work OK.
Although the initial move items down one track: I made a time selection and it moved every tracks contents down a track, not just for the track I selected.
You have to click on the audio in the track itself, then do a time selection, before it will just move that audio down to the track below.

Also, glue items: I wonder why this is needed before the move back up?
I would prefer to move back up to the track above, and then do the glue. if thats possible.

Anyway, thanks for the workflow. Its better than what I had.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #17
SonicAxiom

you have to make sure that you have the item in question selected prior to triggering the first custom action! Else, anything that is currently selected inside the time selection will be shifted down one track.

The first action of the second custom action adds the processed audio to the original item as a new take. The second action then glues it to become only one take (the processed one). The third action nudges this item up one track. If you omit the glueing action, both takes will be kept and then nudged upwards. This way, you'd always have the original version at your disposal in case you'd like to revisit it later. I'm using this workflow currently (glueing action removed).

I updated my previous posts to underline that selecting only the item in question before triggering the first custom action is important.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 05-02-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #18
Bansaw

Quote:
you have to make sure that you have the item in question selected prior to triggering the first custom action! Else, anything that is currently selected inside the time selection will be shifted down one track.

The first action of the second custom action adds the processed audio to the original item as a new take. The second action then glues it to become only one take (the processed one). The third action nudges this item up one track. If you omit the glueing action, both takes will be kept and then nudged upwards. This way, you'd always have the original version at your disposal in case you'd like to revisit it later. I'm using this workflow currently (glueing action removed).

I updated my previous posts to underline that selecting only the item in question before triggering the first custom action is important.

Ah, Ok, I see what the 2nd action, "Glue items" is doing now you explained it.
thanks
Old 05-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #19
Jae.Thomas

some great thoughts here, thanks!
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:21 PM   #20
samdixonmusic

Hey all, just joining the thread here. Does anyone know how to take Melodyne offline without losing all your edits? My process is to render Melodyne-d tracks to new tracks, mute original, and then take Melodyne offline to conserve CPU power. The trouble is if I want to bring Melodyne back online on the original track to edit something, all my changes are lost.
samdixonmusic is offline   Reply With Quote