Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 10-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
Matt Mayfield
Human being with feelings

Default Snap Package for future Linux release?

First of all, a huge THANK YOU to the developers for working on a native Linux release - not to mention making Windows REAPER run well under Wine.

I wanted to mention a method for easy installation on many different Linux distros, the Snap package. More info here: https://snapcraft.io/

This might possibly be the most universal way to distribute the Linux native version of REAPER, once it's ready for release!
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:44 AM   #2
David Else

Personally I think flatpak is going to be the future for application containers:

http://flatpak.org/

But that is probably because I am a Red Hat fan rather than Canonical

It does not have to be a 'proper container', it can be a library bundling technology. It's highly integrated with Gnome, which is now the default for Ubuntu as well as Fedora.

Having an official Reaper repo that has RPM and .DEB would probably be the ultimate.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Measly Twerp

I'd like to see Flatpak support too.

Nothing else to add to the discussion that hasn't already been mentioned, just wanted to be heard.
Measly Twerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
Matt Mayfield

I listen to a lot of Linux podcasts and the feeling "in the air" that I get seems to be leaning a bit more toward snaps because of Canonical's support, and Solus' packaging of a Steam base snap.

BUT, I really don't care; mainly what I personally hope for is ONE system that will allow developers to target "Linux" (i.e. GNU/Linux in any of its myriad forms and permutations) in a viable way that both developers and users can rely on to always just work.

If that existed - a SINGLE unquestioned standard, whatever it is - I believe it would drastically increase developers' willingness to release Linux versions of professional software, and increase the viability of Linux as a mainstream desktop.

But ONE format needs to take the lead and become the standard for this to move forward. I hope that we as a community will organically get that to happen, and gracefully stand behind whatever wins out. Whether that is Flatpak, Snap, AppImage, HorseyPoo, ReplaceYourHardDriveWithAPotato, or HaltAndCatchFire, it truly doesn't matter to me.....
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
daverich

snap please
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote