Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #20
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post

I'm assuming th "BS.1770 Integrated Loudness" is the main LUFS we want to shoot for.
Hi Tod,

Yes, integrated is the one that considers the entirety of the audio file.

Quote:
What exactly is "LRA", I've been assuming it's "Left Right Average" but the number "5.4" doesn't mean anything to me, what is it?
For the contest we don't need it but academically... "Loudness RAnge", it is similar to Dynamic Range but it doesn't consider the bottom 10% or top 5% of the signal when it does that calculation so don't expect it to always match something like TT-DR. So thinking about that, if you extended your render by 30 seconds but that was silence (less than 10%), it wouldn't change the LRA, but if that 30 seconds were some instrument at say 11% volume, then the LRA would change because it would then take that long low-level signal into the LRA calculation.

Quote:
Also, what exactly does "Highest Reconstructed Peak Level" mean, and how should we interprete it, along with the "Reconstructed Peaks Above 0 dBFS"?
The first one should be considering intersample peaks (aka reconstructed waveform). The second term is the same thing but tells how many of any ISPs went above 0 dBFS. So you can use "Highest Recontstructed Peak Level" as your -0.5 target (There is a possible exception but I don't think it matters unless someone corrects us).

Quote:
In the picture below, there was only 0.1dB difference as to how hard I hit the limiter.
I don't know too much about that other than whatever difference that makes, it applies to every sample in the song (well as far as the totality of the calculation goes me thinks). Meaning, I'm not familiar enough with how the algorithms work. It's still sort of sinking in after reading up on Saturday and could be missing something.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-14-2016 at 09:39 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote