Old 03-18-2019, 02:18 AM   #1
tarantula
Human being with feelings

Default License question

If I bought license when the version was 5.5. What is the last future version that I can update my Reaper? 6.0? If yes, do I have some discounts on the next version? Or the same price?
tarantula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:52 AM   #2
DarkStar

You're good up to the last point release of version 6.

From the Purchase page: "A new license includes free upgrades through REAPER version 6.99."

No special discounts; only the commercial / discounted price.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
tarantula

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
You're good up to the last point release of version 6.

From the Purchase page: "A new license includes free upgrades through REAPER version 6.99."

No special discounts; only the commercial / discounted price.
Ok, sounds cool, thank you!
tarantula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:18 AM   #4
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Not intending to hijack the thread...
The (very) generous licensing model is one of the reasons I choose Reaper, not to mention it's price. I was tossing up between Pro Tools and Reaper.
Unless you are in a commercially operating studio that get's a lot of work, sent a lot of Pro Tools sessions, or a pro musician that needs to work in PT - the price is a big byte to swallow. The cheapest PT version is still very expensive and you are stuck with that version, from what I got told buy the sales guy is you will only get updates for your particular version, lets say V20, once they release V21 you're on your own unless you fork out for an upgrade. Some may be okay with that, I have a certain lump of software that follows that (the Avid) mentality to, your stuck on the version you buy unless you continually pay for upgrades.

Vegas Pro springs to mind pretty quick here. I've been using Vegas since version 13, back when it was still Sony Vegas - the only reason I stuck with it was because I had a large amount of self-made presets and transitions I had built up over the years. Now I am kicking myself for forking out for Vegas Pro 16 - since learning about DaVinci Resolve in the last week, it pisses all over VP16 in features and stability. Magix have soured their relationship with a lot of long-time users due to their inability (or lack of interest) to address long-standing stability issues within Vegas. It crashes more than a highly intoxicated driver.

Magix have infuriated a large number of their user base with their inconsistent pricing models. It is a bitter pill to swallow when you pay $500 for a piece of software in an 'on special' sale then find it 'on special' yet again a week or two later for half the price you paid. Not long after I purchased mine on a 'once only discount price', two weeks later it was on sale again for $200! Now if they had of held off and had a Christmas sale for example - no problems, fine with that kind of thing, but when they are changing the price on an almost monthly basis it makes you wonder about the company behind the software. Suffice to say, I won't be buying or upgrading Vegas again.

At least with Reaper there is a long time between the need to buy a new licence, and with the price of a Reaper licence, even at the top rate it is good value. You get regular updates and can have the very latest version. I've had it for 77 days, so Reaper tells me and in that time there have been several updates. Can't ask for more really.

Yes it has it's niggles and quirks and their are some things that frustrate me, like the CTRL+Z undo jumping around all over the place, or things like when you highlight a track and zoom the focus does not stay on that track you highlighted. Although in the bigger picture and overall Price + Stability + Features right out of the box = A bloody good deal!
I would (and have) recommend Reaper to anyone, whether they be starting out or have a professional commercially operating studio.