Old 01-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
junioreq
Human being with feelings

Default Help with drum vsti sound

Was wondering if i could get some help. Theres a track that i really like the drum panning and general sound of. I tried using superior drummer to get the sound. But it just sounded boxy and flat and cheap. Any tips or ideas on how i can get this drum sound? And which vsti i should use? I totally LOVE the drum sound for a project Im working on. The drums in this track are indeed e kit drums.

Mix - Ty Tabor "Senseless Paranoia" from Nobody Wins When Nobody Plays (Official release): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi26v...=RDFi26vFwoPvw

I just cant get a pro sound using the normal eq and comp moves and getting frustrated.
junioreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:44 AM   #2
ivansc

Would help if you could find out what the band used when they tracked it, but bear in mind you are trying to recreate something that is not just recorded straight out of a VSTi or indeed the audio from an e-drum kit.
Gonna have to put some work in.
In Superior, which kit were you starting with?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
RDBOIS
Banned

If you have lemons then you can make a very sour lemonade

If you add sugar you'll get a sweet, diabetes causing, lemon beverage

If you add honey you'll get a medicinal tonic

But you can never make Champagne with lemon!

So you got the lemons, now you need to say away from the sugar and find honey.

Keep in mind that I've never made Champagne, have managed to avoid making sour lemonade, but have managed to mix some not so foul medicine.

In my case the free honey was:

1) MaxSynths DSP-2 Vocal plugin: Yes it's marketed as a vocal tool, but you'll find many features that will help shape your drum sound (e.g. the AIR feature, some focused EQ, Saturation, and some light reverb).

http://www.producerspot.com/download...s-by-maxsynths

2) Thrillseeker VBL: This litte bugger seem to lift the sound from flat to 3D. Play with the settings.

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

3) TDR Kotelnikov: This compression can tame the sound or deal with transients in many ways. You may or may not need it after using the two VST's mentionned above, but there it is...

http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/

Ok. I hope this helps you in your transformation of lemons?

Ohhh... little bonus here: Now you have a chain of FX's that can help with vocals too.

RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
junioreq

Thanks! I will check these plugins out and upload some samples when i get out of work!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
junioreq

This is what I have. Finally uploading a sample. Did not use those plugins yet. In the middle of moving.

Just sounds like snare is so far back. Everything sounds dead and cardboard. Already sucked a ton of 400 hz out..

https://robloyst.bandcamp.com/track/cardboard-drums
Old 01-11-2017, 03:11 AM   #6
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
1) MaxSynths DSP-2 Vocal plugin: Yes it's marketed as a vocal tool, but you'll find many features that will help shape your drum sound (e.g. the AIR feature, some focused EQ, Saturation, and some light reverb).

http://www.producerspot.com/download...s-by-maxsynths

Shame that one appears to be 32bit only on Windoze.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by junioreq View Post
This is what I have. Finally uploading a sample. Did not use those plugins yet. In the middle of moving.

Just sounds like snare is so far back. Everything sounds dead and cardboard. Already sucked a ton of 400 hz out..

https://robloyst.bandcamp.com/track/cardboard-drums
I think you need to choose a different kick and snare, something with some snap to it, especially the snare. It sounds like you might have a 6.5 inch snare here and it's tuned a little low.

I'm assuming superior drummer has at least a few snares and kicks to choose from. Try finding a 5 inch snare with some punch and snap to it. Also a kick with some bottom and some snap on top.

Then try really compressing the kick, maybe some parallel compression would work for this.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #8
junioreq

Ok ill try to use better samples. These are Steven Slate samples. But mixed with headphones which is prob why the snappy snares sound to snappy and i end up choosing unsnappy samples!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
ginormous

When I use a drum VSTi, it rarely sounds good on its' own. I usually have to play around with it. Here are some of my favorite tricks:

Multi-band compression -- different rates, threshholds etc., for different bands of EQ. I got a good bit of buzz removed from a snare using some downward expansion.

Layering samples -- Not enough 'tone' in a snare or tom? Layer some larger diameter tom under it. Trigger a sample player for that note-on specifically.

Room tone -- the old-school standby, as made famous by Hugh Padgham recording Phil Collins. Send the track output to another channel, set up your favorite reverb program (convolution or IR) as an effect. Short decay, maybe 500 ms or less. RePitch it down a few steps, and limit the living crap out of it. Keep it dialed back behind the original sound. I even threw in a tube distortion effect in front of everything else, to get some edgy breakup.

Edit: stack 'em. Get two romplers or sample packs, and see how well they blend. I got a killer R&B sound with two freebie romplers on top of each other.

Do some experimenting, but don't get lost going down the rabbit hole; it's quite easy to get overwhelmed with all the toys.

Last edited by ginormous; 03-12-2017 at 12:10 PM.
ginormous is offline   Reply With Quote