Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-27-2020, 06:23 AM   #1
mabian

Default Send to parent track... only first two channels?

Hello,

I have a tricky routing in which there are multi-channel parent tracks (more than 2 channels).

Some child tracks have themselves multi-channel tracks, but I don't want channels > 2 bleed into parent track.

I know I can set an FX as last in every child track chain that zeroes the channels beyond 1 and 2, but since I have many child tracks I wonder if there's some smarter way to route only 1 and 2 instead of all the channels to parent track.

Any suggestion is welcome.
Thanks,
Mario

Last edited by mabian; 09-27-2020 at 06:23 AM. Reason: typo
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Well you could turn off the parent send and use explicit sends which I understand isn’t quite so convenient. You could also have a “sub-parent” with only two channels and set it up like child>subparent>parent.

I made a JS plugin a while back that senses the number of channels on a track and mutes all but the first two which is a lot faster and easier than messing with pins on some other plugin.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
mabian

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, there are some solutions but I think it would be so nice if the parent tracks could be specified with more detail so that you could also have sparse channels sent to the parent (or anyway a reduced number of channels than the total track channel count).

Also, I don't like that there's no seemingly easy way, other than reverting to additional JS effects like the one you mentioned, to define the behavior of parented audio signals (with MIDI you can replace the MIDI flow instead of merging it, while audio signals always merge).

Multi-channel routing is one of the best engineering selling points of REAPER IMHO, some more love would definitely raise the bar further.

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
Multi-channel routing is one of the best engineering selling points of REAPER IMHO, some more love would definitely raise the bar further.
Absotively! I still wish we could name the channels individually.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote