Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
bingethink
Human being with feelings

Default Anyone used Reaper with a Tascam US-144?

Been trying to get Reaper to working with a Tascam US-144 Mk11 but I'm not having much luck. Just trying to record a voice track. I arm a track but nothing seems to work. Windows 7 seems perfectly happy with the USB interfaced US-144.

I've tried recording using Audacity and Music Maker via the Tascam and I'm getting some odd results. Unlike Reaper which doesn't seem to work at all these only seem to give me mono (single channel) when I playback a recorded voice track.

I'm stumped.

Any ideas??
bingethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
adaragray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingethink View Post
Been trying to get Reaper to working with a Tascam US-144 Mk11 but I'm not having much luck. Just trying to record a voice track. I arm a track but nothing seems to work. Windows 7 seems perfectly happy with the USB interfaced US-144.

I've tried recording using Audacity and Music Maker via the Tascam and I'm getting some odd results. Unlike Reaper which doesn't seem to work at all these only seem to give me mono (single channel) when I playback a recorded voice track.

I'm stumped.

Any ideas??
I have the Tascam US122 mk2 and it works perfectly with reaper.
Wich driver and Firmware version are you using?
adaragray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
metal_priest

i have the tascam US-144 mkII, and no problem with reaper, just a f****g blue screen of death sometimes -.-v

be sure to have the latest firmware and driver, when i bought it, it didnt work with windows 7 64 bit because of this

and be sure that you have set in the right way the I/O panel in reaper, if you dont use the digital I/O, just set only the analog in reaper
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
bingethink

Thanks for the replies. I think I was caught out by a couple of newb errors. Once I'd changed the Audio Systm to ASIO it worked. There's still much to learn. Fortunately the Tascam installer is much improved and the 64bit drivers work.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
metal_priest

can i ask you a favor?
if sometimes will happen to you too the blue screen of death, could you tell me? I'm trying to understand if it's a problem of my laptop or a problem of the interface!!
thank you!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
bingethink

I'm using Win 7 and the BSD isn't a problem for me. Funnily after recording some vocal this morning it's all of a sudden stopped working again. Windows sees the Tascam fine but recording and payback in Reaper no longer functions.

Any idea what the ASIO settings in 'Device' should look like?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
Stella Monkey

I use a Tascam 144mkII, I run windows 7, I too occasionaly get the blue screen of death!

Scares the shit out of me but so far all seems fine following a re-boot. Probably happens once every couple of weeks. Quite worrying as I built my own PC even though I'm not very techy, if it didn't come back on i wouldn't have a clue what to do or who to call!
Stella Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
metal_priest

Quote:
I'm using Win 7 and the BSD isn't a problem for me. Funnily after recording some vocal this morning it's all of a sudden stopped working again. Windows sees the Tascam fine but recording and payback in Reaper no longer functions.

Any idea what the ASIO settings in 'Device' should look like?
what kind of asio driver do you use?
the Tascam? mine is like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Monkey View Post
I use a Tascam 144mkII, I run windows 7, I too occasionaly get the blue screen of death!

Scares the shit out of me but so far all seems fine following a re-boot. Probably happens once every couple of weeks. Quite worrying as I built my own PC even though I'm not very techy, if it didn't come back on i wouldn't have a clue what to do or who to call!
Ok, i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one with this problem..i have a Dell XPS15 laptop, so it's not your fault, dont worry..probably is a bug of tascam firmware...
i didnt figuret out yet the reasons why it happen!!! sometimes it happen even if i'm not doing nothing!!

Anyway, before i was using Asio4All drivers, and i thought that it was this is the reason why, but now i'm using the Tascam Asio, and yes, now it happen less than before...but it's really annoying!!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
J.HEXX

the error is related to the driver called Tascusb2.sys with description TASCAM USB 2.0 Audio Driver is a driver file from company TASCAM belonging to product TASCAM USB 2.0 Driver.
The file is digitally signed from Ploytec GmbH - VeriSign Time Stamping Services Signer - G2
We do not recommend removing digitally signed files from Ploytec GmbH
.. driver (the tascam windows media player driver or something like that) that causes the issue of blue screening. i get it only once in a blue,it used to be worse before.
it was mostly resolved in firmware and driver 2.03. i own one and i been very happy with it, since the latest update. one thing for sure, never ever use the driver that comes with the unit on the disc in the box, it had serious driver issues.

make sure to select Tascam ASIO driver when you run reaper as the main interface driver.
J.HEXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
J.HEXX

as far as the tascam not working when you turn on Reaper(32 bit version only, this doesn't happen to the 64 bit version i seen so far) when you open it, it shows your audio file as offline and wont play the file or move at all. all i do is hide the reaper window using the minimize to taskbar option, then re open it, and it then works fine.
Not sure if that is your issue but i thought i would mention it.

(edit: i now notice with the new Reaper v 415.1 update this no longer happens to me! )
Old 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
bingethink

Thanks Metal P I hadn't switched the latency to 'high', I left it at the defaults...will change to see if makes a difference. I'm tempted to upgrade a few bits and pieces to see if that improves reliability.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
metal_priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.HEXX View Post
the error is related to the driver called Tascusb2.sys with description TASCAM USB 2.0 Audio Driver is a driver file from company TASCAM belonging to product TASCAM USB 2.0 Driver.
The file is digitally signed from Ploytec GmbH - VeriSign Time Stamping Services Signer - G2
We do not recommend removing digitally signed files from Ploytec GmbH
.. driver (the tascam windows media player driver or something like that) that causes the issue of blue screening. i get it only once in a blue,it used to be worse before.
it was mostly resolved in firmware and driver 2.03. i own one and i been very happy with it, since the latest update. one thing for sure, never ever use the driver that comes with the unit on the disc in the box, it had serious driver issues.

make sure to select Tascam ASIO driver when you run reaper as the main interface driver.
so, it seems that we had to hope that tascam doesnt crash in the middle of a recording...thanks for the information, at least now i know what happens!

Quote:
Thanks Metal P I hadn't switched the latency to 'high', I left it at the defaults...will change to see if makes a difference. I'm tempted to upgrade a few bits and pieces to see if that improves reliability.
remember that Highest latency means bigger buffer, better processing but latency between input and output, Lowest Latency means smaller buffer, but "real time" processing...
usually i never use lowest, i use low latency when i record some instrument with real time processing (guitars with guitar rig for example), and highest latency when i work on mixes..

for example, as you can see in the screenshot,now i have Highest Latency selected because now i'm working on an orchestral mix with 40 microphones, so 40 tracks at 96Khz, little fx processing (just delays for compensate the phases between microphones and a bus with reverb), so i need to use highest latency for the big quantity of datas to store in the buffer
Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
metal_priest

guys, how do you change the sample rate on tascam?

I need to work at 48k (not recording just mixing), but if i put the project setting at 48000, in the up right corner in reaper i alway read "44.1K"...how can i change it?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
J.HEXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_priest View Post
guys, how do you change the sample rate on tascam?

I need to work at 48k (not recording just mixing), but if i put the project setting at 48000, in the up right corner in reaper i alway read "44.1K"...how can i change it?
That is easy to do.

control panel>audio devices>manage audio devices>

from there select your tascam and go into it's preferences properties screen, and in it you will find the option to select the sample rate. switch it there then select ok. in reaper it will not change the sample rate, i guess due to the way tascam made the unit

Last edited by J.HEXX; 02-09-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
metal_priest

yes, thanks..the fact is that in the tascam control panel you cant choose the sample rate.

Doesnt matter, i did it...just the US144mkII works correctly only on USB2, not in USB3...i changed the usb port in my laptop and used the USB2, now the SR changes

thanks anyway