Old 04-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #41
RCJacH
Human being with feelings

Thanks to Chris I'm running 400+ plugins on a daily basis.

Just want to mention that ElectroHat is great at getting rid of machine-gun effect on sampled electronic drums, be it kicks, snares, HHs, or cymbals. Haven't got time to test it on acoustic samples yet, but I believe it should work as well with low dry/wet percentage.
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #42
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJacH View Post

Just want to mention that ElectroHat is great at getting rid of machine-gun effect on sampled electronic drums, be it kicks, snares, HHs, or cymbals. Haven't got time to test it on acoustic samples yet, but I believe it should work as well with low dry/wet percentage.

Really? Would you mind sharing how you are using it?

I've always found that ElectroHat was the craziest plug-in he's come up with and hence the useless.

Not to talk bad things about Chris, he is a GENIUS and his plug-ins rock but as a GENIUS he also puts out stuff that's crazy and not very handy in the studio. I've always felt that Desk, PowerSag, GuitarConditioner as well as ElectroHat are kinda doing nothing worthy at all or doing nothing any other plug-in can achieve.

This is all of course in my most humble opinion and it may be me the one not knowing how to use those properly =)

Last edited by morfi; 04-15-2018 at 10:24 AM.
morfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #43
Dex

I would guess they're just layering it with the samples.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:47 AM   #44
RCJacH

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfi View Post
Really? Would you mind sharing how you are using it?

I've always found that ElectroHat was the craziest plug-in he's come up with and hence the useless.

Not to talk bad things about Chris, he is a GENIUS and his plug-ins rock but as a GENIUS he also puts out stuff that's crazy and not very handy in the studio. I've always felt that Desk, PowerSag, GuitarConditioner as well as ElectroHat are kinda doing nothing worthy at all or doing nothing any other plug-in can achieve.
For ElectroHat, it's basically a plugin that adds sizzles, much like any dynamic noise generator, like the one I made here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186812

The difference between ElectroHat and white/pink/brown noise is that ElectroHat has a very distinctive noise profile, edgier than common white noise, and I find it somewhat similar to the noise type of physical impact on some sort of membrane (in recorded samples). Thus I think this plugin is not as fitting for generating a HH sound, but maybe more for adding the impact component to an existing sound.

With this mindset, I use ElectroHat to layer with existing sample(s) as a specific type of distortion. Currently I only use Electro Mode, and haven't figured out applications for other modes. From my understanding of the source code it seems that 606/808/909 Mode has fixed trim, and that's the only difference. I would adjust **Bright** first, so the generated sound would first match the application. For example, if I want to distort a snare, I would pull **Bright** to 0, in comparison of around 0.8 or something for HH and Crash. Then adjust **Trim** very carefully as it is an unpredictable parameter, but it may land on a very nice tone when you get to a specific value, and losing it by just changing 0.001 or something. Then use **Dry/Wet** to blend, normally around 0.4 or less, and use **Output** to fine tune the volume.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all sound sources may have the fitting length or dynamic for triggering noise - the Roland 808 snare is a short gliding sine with a longer noise oscillator - thus we may need to alter the input signal before it triggers ElectroHat. We can use gate/compressor to reduce length and dynamic, but if we want to increase the triggering length, we need something else. The RCNoiseBuzz JSFX that I linked above is one method to increase triggering length, basically using ElectroHat to color noise so it doesn't...sound like normal noise...The other method to lengthen a sample is to use reverb, and I find the new NonLinearSpace very fitting for the job since the artifact from it is replaced by ElectroHat. The settings for NonLinearSpace in the context usually involves setting **Liveness** to 0, reducing **Bass** and **Dry/Wet** to near 0, then adjust **Treble** to taste.

The **Desk** series, which I rarely use, apparently does its job only when signal surpasses 0dBFS, and since I use Console system, this series only works with bitshiftgain applied before and after desk...such a hazzle that I rarely bother with.
**PowerSag** may work well for designing amp systems, but...most studio rarely have such need. May work well with software synths to add a taste of analog circuit.
**GuitarConditioner** I use it after gate for each track of non-ultra-clean Electric Guitar that I have to record.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #45
morfi

@RCJacH thank you so much for your very detailed and in-depth answer. I appreciate it a lot and you certainly seem to know your way round Airwindows plug-ins.

I guess I'll have to take a second look at Electro Hat. It still seems like a crazy tool that I may never ever need at all, and I try to avoid such plug-ins (Airwindows is known to have more than 250 plug-ins - who can live with that in their minds?)

Thank you also for your comments on other plug-ins I mentioned. I still think that what GuitarConditioner does for the sound, you can accomplish with a just an EQ...

EDIT = after re-reading your answer, a new application for ElectroHat came to mind. REAPER's ReaGate has this wonderful noise-generator that you can use by blending in a white noise profile for instance, when gating a snare drum, in order to artificially add some sort of snare bottom/snare wires sound when the gate opens up. I bet you're using ElectroHat for some sort of use like this...?

Last edited by morfi; 04-16-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #46
RCJacH

Yeah, I'm sure even Chris himself have to think for a bit when looking for a plugin during his videos.

I took some notes on each of his plugins since he made them free, and I plan to post them once I get time to sort them out into more understandable format, currently I still get lost looking at my notes.

regarding guitarconditioner, I thought it was a saturation plugin lol. I personally tend to avoid EQ as much as possible cause it involves a lot of processing (just compare the code of his own EQ with other ones, it's like 100:1 in terms of code length), and might cause artifact or pre/post rings and may cause damage to transients, but that's still a concept which I do not fully understand yet...
Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #47
morfi

Yes, everybody keeps their own notes on the Airwindows catalog. I do it myself too but they tend to overlap so very often. You can only have so many HPFs to choose from!

GuitarConditioner is not a saturation plug-in is... God know what it is. It's supposed to sound like an Ibanez if I recall correctly.

Regarding code length, well... Chris is the master. His plug-ins consume nothing, take no CPU and introduce no sample-latency and are as little as a file can be - not to mention that they don't install themselves, you just copy the DLLs files (as with many other devs - but not all of them). This philosophy certainly goes hand in hand with REAPERs and I think that both really complement each other well into a super-powerful DAW.

Not that I do it, but I could really mix a full album and get it to sound great with REAPER and Airwindows alone...
Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #48
deeb

i love the person and the love how he shows when presents them : ) but never had used them! i guess i should, and i will as soon as possible!
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #49
Seldrums

I love "Air" and "Energy". I support Chris's patreon for those alone! "Buss4 colors" also finds it's way into my mixes on a regular basis. Huge fan of Chris here.
Seldrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #50
morfi

More than a dozen plug-ins later after my last post this guy is still a genius and Airwindows plug-in still one of a kind in all respects; concept, sound quality, CPU consumption, product-presentation, marketing, etc etc etc.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:37 AM   #51
G-Sun

Quote:
More than a dozen plug-ins later after my last post this guy is still a genius and Airwindows plug-in still one of a kind in all respects; concept, sound quality, CPU consumption, product-presentation, marketing, etc etc etc.
The GUI-part and lack of metering says "Stay away" to me.
But, if it's good enough, I'll use it
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #52
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Don't let those things keep you apart for Chris' plug-ins - you're missing out on many of the very, very best and unique sounding processors out there.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:10 AM   #53
RCJacH

Recently I've been using Desk4 presets, found in https://www.gearslutz.com/board/prod...ac-pc-vst.html, combining various other components such as ReaEQ or ReaComp to simulate the "hardware" sound. The subtle distortion would smooth the digital high peaks and the resulting glue can be quite fascinating compared to using only the same digital FXs.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:00 AM   #54
G-Sun

Quote:
Don't let those things keep you apart for Chris' plug-ins - you're missing out on many of the very, very best and unique sounding processors out there.
At hearth Chris is an inventor and scientist of audio digital fx.
But, to make a front end of a plugin-company he'd need:
- A superviser to judge what to present to the users
- A tech for the boring stuff like metering and such
- A GUI-maker
- A user-service team
-- Manuals
-- Tutorials
-- Customer service

But, that's not stopping him, so power to Chris
Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 AM   #55
Judders

Quote:
At hearth Chris is an inventor and scientist of audio digital fx.
But, to make a front end of a plugin-company he'd need:
- A superviser to judge what to present to the users
- A tech for the boring stuff like metering and such
- A GUI-maker
- A user-service team
-- Manuals
-- Tutorials
-- Customer service

But, that's not stopping him, so power to Chris
Personally, I love that he has a following and is doing it his way. It shows that the standard model for plugin developers isn't the only way.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:09 AM   #56
morfi

Same here. I understand your point G-Sun completely and I sometimes wish there was a manual for most of this plug-ins but on the otherside I appreciate and I even get a kick out of Chris's CRAZY policy and way of presenting stuff - utterly different from absolutely everybody else. Sum all this and I truly believe the man's a genius, not just a great dev.

(Do I use every plug-in he puts out? NO! Probably 35% of them!)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #57
Seldrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJacH View Post

RCJacH-

Thanks for the tip on the ElectroHat tip! Really works on pretty much all kinds of percussive material! Really great tip. Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #58
poetnprophet

My first time hearing of these, but I'll be trying them out this weekend for sure. I'm always interested in new and different plugins, no matter the look or feel or cost, as long as they sound great. Thanks for posting this.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #59
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldrums View Post
RCJacH-

Thanks for the tip on the ElectroHat tip! Really works on pretty much all kinds of percussive material! Really great tip. Thanks again.
Wow! I had completely dismissed ElectroHat. Will definitely have to try this I guess. What does it do really? What's the benefit?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #60
dub tree

Quote:
I'm always conflicted when I see these types of post about Airwindows plugins. On one hand, I want everyone to know about how awesome these plugins are. But on the other hand, I wanna be like "yeah, nothing to see here, move along" and maintain the world's best kept secret.

It's like when you find a restaurant that looks like a hole in the wall but low key has your favorite food in the world. And you don't want it to become gentrified, but at the same time, you wonder how people are going through their dreary lives without having tasted their amazing food.

...So, yeah. Nothing to see here. Stick with McWaves and their combo meal/bundles.

Last edited by dub tree; 08-15-2018 at 10:19 AM.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #61
shosty

What is the problem with using Console in reaper? I don't think I've played with it yet but I don't understand why it has been said that it is hard to use.

Also StarChild is the bomb!
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:39 AM   #62
RCJacH

Quote:
Wow! I had completely dismissed ElectroHat. Will definitely have to try this I guess. What does it do really? What's the benefit?
It basically adds impact type of noise to the audio source. One benefit is some sort of anti-machinegun effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
What is the problem with using Console in reaper? I don't think I've played with it yet but I don't understand why it has been said that it is hard to use.

Also StarChild is the bomb!
The problem is that the input and output of console should have unity gain to avoid distortion, thus you can't use volume fader or pan knob for any track that is sending audio between console channel and bus.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #63
bezusheist

The fact that he doesn’t put a gain/pan slider on the console channel is just insane. It’s very simple to do and there is no reason not to, other than he simply doesn’t want to.
Crazy.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:52 AM   #64
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub tree View Post
The reasoning is that you are supposed to use your ears. Too often we get caught up in autopilot, thinking "always hipass at 50hz " or whatever, so we just find 50hz on the readout and cut there. But sometimes those rules have exceptions that we may tend to overlook because we are so used to doing things the way they are "supposed to be" done.

The lack of a detailed readout is supposed to inspire more organic results. Tweak it til it sounds good. Mix with your ears, not your eyes and some chart of numbers. At least that's the impression I get from this design choice.

Also, Chris is a guitarist, and a lot of guitar pedals and amps are designed this way, so maybe that has something to do with the underlying philosophy of the UX. Rather than presets or values, it's like "turn this knob to 12 o'clock and that knob to 4 o'clock"
I get that, and I never *don't* use my ears. But there's nothing wrong with situations where one knows they want to hi pass at 50hz and therefore want to put a 50hz hi pass on. But I know what you're saying : ) Chris is certainly one of a kind (in a good way). But lack of visual feedback is sometimes a dealkiller when time is short.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:05 AM   #65
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub tree View Post
I'm always conflicted when I see these types of post about Airwindows plugins. On one hand, I want everyone to know about how awesome these plugins are. But on the other hand, I wanna be like "yeah, nothing to see here, move along" and maintain the world's best kept secret.

It's like when you find a restaurant that looks like a hole in the wall but low key has your favorite food in the world. And you don't want it to become gentrified, but at the same time, you wonder how people are going through their dreary lives without having tasted their amazing food.

...So, yeah. Nothing to see here. Stick with McWaves and their combo meal/bundles.
I guess your not using the OS Window GUIs either.
Command prompt has all you need. Why bother with that graphic overlay?
Old 08-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #66
dub tree

Quote:
I guess your not using the OS Window GUIs either.
Command prompt has all you need. Why bother with that graphic overlay?
Why bother using these computer things at all?

I don't need my start menu button painstakingly 3d-modelled after the design of a 50 year-old piece of rack-mount tube gear in order to convince me that it's doing its job properly. That said, programs do exist to make this possible...

Last edited by dub tree; 08-19-2018 at 03:33 PM.
dub tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #67
TonE

Wanted to ask same question. Hearing and judging is best, if its about music. No gui is perfect. Thanks for all the recommendations here, I will check those first. I might use them in some next hackey trackey and hackey pattern youtube videos.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #68
Seldrums

De-Ess! (Came out yesterday!) http://www.airwindows.com/

Best De-Esser I've come across. I have yet to put it to the everyday tests but seems superior to all my other solutions. Love Chris's creations!

I contribute to his Patreon because I use his plugs all the time.

Give it a try. IMO, Airwindows is a best-kept secret.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:39 AM   #69
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldrums View Post
De-Ess! (Came out yesterday!) http://www.airwindows.com/

Best De-Esser I've come across. I have yet to put it to the everyday tests but seems superior to all my other solutions. Love Chris's creations!

I contribute to his Patreon because I use his plugs all the time.

Give it a try. IMO, Airwindows is a best-kept secret.
I have to second this one. DeEss should win the plugin of the year award, Chris is brilliant. Every other De-Esser on the market just a band-specific dynamic compressor in disguise (or not). I've always wondered why none of the big names could make a De-Esser that simply recognized the characteristics of sibilance and smoothed it out without stomping everything else in that area of the spectrum. I mean, you can easily spot it in a waveform and a spectrogram, so this approach was something that I thought someone would have implemented a long time ago. I really would have put my money on iZotope for that, but their De-Esser is pretty lack-luster, IMO. Prior to DeEss, FabFilter DS was the best one out there. FF DS seemed to work best because of its internal side chaining and visual feedback, so you could really just nail the offenders, but Chris' DeEss is absolute genius and was my introduction to Airwindows.

Is it just my setup, or do the Airwindows Mac VSTs not work in REAPER? They show up, but adjusting the sliders doesn't do a darned thing. I had to install the AUs, which work as expected.

I like a bit of ToTape5, too. I mostly do VO work, and I haven't discovered which of the Airwindows plugins can replace the other stuff in my FX chain yet, so much thanks to the OP for this thread! Obviously I'll have to figure out what he called his HPF and LPF and play with his compressors. ToTape5 makes it sound like I have a better preamp, but I'm sure he's got a nice tube emulator that might work better. Suggestions?

The only gripe I have about Airwindows plugins is that it's pretty hard to know what to do with them, right? Having just discovered this huge list of gems, it really helps to have some pointers as to where to start digging. Aside from VO work, I also produce demos and am venturing into more music production, so if there is an Airwindows plugin that will do something wonderful, I want to be sure and know about it!

Chris is a savant. The work he does is amazing. I've only had time to watch a few of his videos, but his explanation and illustration of how/why most limiters, HPFs, and LPFs create artifacts and how he got around that really gets you scratching your head about how these companies like Waves keep suckering people into buying their mediocre products. As much as I love FabFilter and think some of the stuff iZotope are doing is great, I can't quite figure out why they can't do what Chris does. And I can't figure out why we can't make him rich! I support him as much as I can afford right now, but my work is all for a charity that helps the homeless and helping to create affordable housing for families and the disabled. I plan to keep upping the ante as often as I can, though. We need to do this to make a point to companies like Avid, Waves, and NI who abuse their customers with mediocre products at high prices with draconian licensing schemes.

Now, if we could just get him to make a good De-Breather. Nectar 2 has the only one that was trustworthy as a set-and-forget for long form narration, and I think it's gone in Nectar 3. Everything else I've tried needs babysitting or it grabs stuff it shouldn't, and iZotope's RX Breath Control doesn't seem to work the same way.

Best kept secret is right, but we should make a point of getting people to support Chris' work, so spread the word! He's got to be the nicest guy on the planet!

Last edited by Xaos; 11-20-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Xaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #70
Timothy Lawler

Discovered Airwindows recently. I like the way certain AW fx can thicken my sound without making it dull or hazy, and others can brighten my sound without making it harsh. Still in exploration mode.

I wonder if the AMSR community knows about his YT vids. His voice has that feel.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #71
theMuzzl3

uLaw is my favorite, but its hard to pick one.

The reason why I pick uLaw is because there is no 1 right way to use it, it can get the most nasty sounds I've ever heard, and about 1 out of 1,000 specific parameter settings & variability will be a golden needle within the haystack. Plugins behave differently, and their behavior will change based on what other effects are within the uLaw's, and in what series of order, etc. I swear, there are some plugins that I've used 1,000 times, inside uLaw's... and then on the 1,001th try, some how something unexpected and awesome comes from its behavior, in combo with other things. Its very strange, so its like my twin brother.

I'm building 2 albums with it. One is based on dither noise (and dither types of things' noise) in uLaw, and shaped in ways to create drum/synth sounds, then organizing the stuff into patterns, etc.

I do live streaming, with experiments for it... and its building up.

On gearslutz, we've talked about various methods.

Decode before encode & encode before decode & switching back and forth.
Using 2 or more uLaw's within each other.
theMuzzl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #72
JayJSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMuzzl3 View Post

On gearslutz, we've talked about various methods.

Decode before encode & encode before decode & switching back and forth.
Using 2 or more uLaw's within each other.
I saw the one about using deEss between them, but are there any other good combinations you've found (airwindows or otherwise)?
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #73
karbomusic

I only read a few responses and this one caught my eye...

Quote:
I don't hear anything when using them. Not that they don't do anything, but maybe for how I mix (and my source material, number of tracks, how I highpass/lowpass the tracks) I'm just not getting any benefit from them.
This is similar to Nebula which had a similar heyday IMHO. When I first tried the free version and used some preamp presets, I wasn't sure I was hearing anything at all. Then I figured out it became more noticeable when I put the preamp on every single track and the busses and the master. I quit doing that because I realized there are as many things I don't like about analog as things I do like which was nothing against Nebula which I still love when I use it.

I still use nebula for reverbs, tape emus or to tame things that are out of control but I don't really have a reason to go through this whole recreate an analog console ritual as I don't see the payoff being that big, YMMV of course. It's just so easy to get micro-focused on tiny things that no one cares about but me, and if enough time passes, even I forget it's there LOL.

I have AW but haven't loaded any up yet, my main interest will be that same tame the harshness when needed approach.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #74
Judders

I don't use any AW plugins, though I have tried a lot and bought a few in the past when he was selling AU format only.

Even though I don't use his plugins, I love Chris and think the DAW world is better off with him in it. I particularly like his attitude to analogue - instead of circuit modelling he takes a concept from the analogue domain and then sees what he can do with it in digital. It's a cool approach, even if none of his plugins have stuck in my favourites folder.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #75
Timothy Lawler

Used recently:

AtmosphereChannel
AtmosphereBuss (for anyone not familiar with those - the channel and buss plugins are designed to be used together)
ToTape5
PurestDrive
Slew2
Old 03-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #76
theMuzzl3

RawTimbers and RawGlitters made my list of favorites, but especially in combination with uLaw.

There is a large list of my favorites...

NotJustAnotherDither, BassKit, Acceleration, HermePass, ClipOnly, FromTape, UnBox, and/Or OneCornerClip go in many mastering chains of mine. ButterComp2 and Pop are a great combo, if I need compression (which I avoid, but they sound so much greater than other software mastering compressors). For a while, I was using Spiral2 in mastering (but it kinda became less awesome for me... its good, in tiny amounts).

ADClip7 was one of my favorites but seems to be broken with REAPER (misbehaves, often).

BitShiftGain, MV, DeRez, PhaseNudge, DCVoltage, Holt, Cohonez, DitherFloat, and BassKit are among my favorites, when building things with uLaw. I haven't even began to start using the channel and console systems (seems to be the cherry on top).

Everything seems to have a rhyme or reason, so its really hard to say "these are my favorites."
theMuzzl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:18 AM   #77
morfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMuzzl3 View Post
ADClip7 was one of my favorites but seems to be broken with REAPER (misbehaves, often).
What do you mean by "broken" and "misbehaves"? Did you let Chris know about this?

It's rare that an AirWindows plug-in will work inappropriately inside REAPER. The ugly sounds I was getting out of ADCClip7 I just thought were normal...!

Lic. Ezequiel Morfi | TITANIO
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Old 04-08-2019, 06:07 AM   #78
Philbo King

To be honest, I don't use them much. The plug names generally don't provide any clue as to the plugin function, and when running a mix session I don't have time to try them all out to find one that does what I'm looking for.

If you name plugins with things like "Aspirator" and "Respirator" (not real names, just examples), it becomes a total PITA to find what you want when you need it.

If you HAVE to have a strange cool sounding name, append the actual function to the title and the .DLL filename, like "Aspirator - Flatulence Noise Generator", or "Respirator - Add Wheezing Breath Effect", otherwise I won't bother with it generally.

To be fair, a lot of his plugins do have functional names, but many do not. I don't want to sound harsh on the dude. I do like the idea of plugins that do unique novel things that are otherwise impossible. But it's very much like a packing crate full of tools with no clues as to whether they're for carpentry, automobile repair, plumbing or masonry, if you get my drift.

Last edited by Philbo King; 04-08-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #79
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
To be honest, I don't use them much. The plug names generally don't provide any clue as to the plugin function, and when running a mix session I don't have time to try them all out to find one that does what I'm looking for.

If you name plugins with things like "Aspirator" and "Respirator" (not real names, just examples), it becomes a total PITA to find what you want when you need it.

If you HAVE to have a strange cool sounding name, append the actual function to the title and the .DLL filename, like "Aspirator - Flatulence Noise Generator", or "Respirator - Add Wheezing Breath Effect", otherwise I won't bother with it generally.

To be fair, a lot of his plugins do have functional names, but many do not. I don't want to sound harsh on the dude. I do like the idea of plugins that do unique novel things that are otherwise impossible. But it's very much like a packing crate full of tools with no clues as to whether they're for carpentry, automobile repair, plumbing or masonry, if you get my drift.

LOL, yeah. I'm a big supporter of Chris and his work, but there are *some* plugins that don't require any information or feedback and others that I just don't want to spend the time dealing with if they don't. I don't really care if the eqs have nothing but high.mid and low sliders, with no other info. But a dynamics processor comprised of two sliders that are 1 - 10 and 100 and nothing else I'm not going to bother with, and ones like that aren't exceptions.

I get that it's related both to the efficiency of the programming and also Chris' genius mindset, but nevertheless, they don't get used.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #80
citizenkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
To be honest, I don't use them much. The plug names generally don't provide any clue as to the plugin function, and when running a mix session I don't have time to try them all out to find one that does what I'm looking for

That's why I bookmarked that Google Document that describes each plugin. it was quite handy, but it looks like the author deleted it.

Anybody have a copy handy?
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote