Old 08-08-2018, 01:35 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Drum plugins

I have managed to set up the program to add a drum. So by pressing "Q" on my keyboard I trigger a kick drum and pressing "W" I get a snare drum.

I played along with a tune and added a boom-chick sound throughout. I really like the result.

Can anybody tell me where I can find some more sophisticated plugins (as opposed to loops) so I can maybe get a boom-chick-a-chick, for example, effect?

Anton
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:16 AM   #2
ivansc

For free, MTPowerDrums2 used to be a commercial product, set free by the dev who still looks after it and updates it.

Well worth a download & a good introduction to drum Romplers.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:23 AM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks a lot for the tip Ivansc

Anton
Old 08-08-2018, 02:32 AM   #4
Burnsjethro

Can MTPowerDrums2 be triggered by individual key on my keyboard (not a midi keyboard?

Anton
Old 08-08-2018, 03:32 AM   #5
slipstick

MTPowerDrums2 can be triggered from the Virtual MIDI Keyboard in Reaper and so from the associated PC keys. You click anywhere on the VMK and that enables the PC keyboard too.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:24 AM   #6
Michael AD

Jamstix offers a free scaled down version of their drum program that may do what you want. Take a look:

https://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix4_free.html
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #7
Burnsjethro

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I installed MTPowerDrums2. It is very impressive but is there anyway of linking patterns to keys.

By pessing "Q" on my keyboard I trigger a kick drum and pressing "W" I get a snare drum.

Is there anyway doing this with MTPowerDrums2 so I get a more sophisticated rhythm?
The problem is I have some track sent bya friend where I don't know the beats and I want to keep time with the tunes by just pressing keys.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
Philbo King

I tried MT Power Drums last night - The samples it provides seem to not be the same as those used in the video on their page. The snare, in particular, was pretty horrible, it sounded like a 3" tom. The cymbals were also pretty bad. Can't complain, for the price, but I'm sending it to the big bit bucket in the sky...
Old 08-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #9
DVDdoug

I don't own EZdrummer, but here's a quote from Recording Magazine that I've posted before:

Quote:
For nearly 20 years now, I've followed the submissions to our Reader's Tapes column looking for relationships between the gear used and the end results. I'm particularly interested the fact that many of our readers don't play drums themselves, or have a live drummer...

Some use drum machines, some drag and drop drum loops... and arrange them in their DAWs, some use rhythm box plug-ins, and the results are all over the map... Whether it's bad samples, unrealistic mixing, sloppy effects, or a groove no real drummer would play, these less-than-stellar drum tracks can drag an entire song down...

Comparing gear lists to critique results, a small handful of products could be traced consistently to excellent drum tracks. [EZdrummer] was not only among the most consistent of the virtual drummers but also among the most affordable.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:05 AM   #10
Burnsjethro

Very interesting your comments about the drum programs.

Getting back to my original question, I have now discovered some samples I can use in addition to kick and snare. In fact I have qjuite a full range (high hat,...). I would like to insert these manually into my recordings (using keys on my keyboard).

I am a guitarist/mandolist/acoustic bass player/singer (on anamateur level, I hasten to add), so apart from kick-snare, kick-snare, kick-snare,... and kick-snare-snare, kick-snare-snare, kick-snare-snare,...
I don't really know how to liven up my drum track attempts.
If someone could point me to a site where they suggest basic drum patterns, or if someone here who knows about drumming could provide a few patterns (nothing too elaborate), I would be eternally grateful.

Anton
Old 08-15-2018, 05:37 AM   #11
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
Jamstix offers a free scaled down version of their drum program that may do what you want. Take a look:

https://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix4_free.html
Thanks. A little trouble installing it, but a pleasant surprise. This may be what I've been looking for. Managed to build a song in less than one hour. To my ears, it sounds really fine.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
azimuth

Location: The place that's round on the ends and high in the middle

@Burnsjethro: I second the Jamstix 4 Free suggestion to see if it is what you are looking for. It can create very realistic drum tracks. Full Disclosure: I am a moderator over at the Jamstix forum but I am not affiliated with the company in any way. Just a very pleased customer.

@Jorgen: Here's a link to a script that I wrote for creating Regions in Reaper with Jamstix.

http://rayzoon2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45022#45022
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
Burnsjethro

Thanks for the tip.

Anton
Old 08-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #14
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
@Jorgen: Here's a link to a script that I wrote for creating Regions in Reaper with Jamstix.

http://rayzoon2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45022#45022
Thanks, but I happen to have no knowledge of scripting, have no idea what LUA is... don't even use those sw-extensions, or whatever they are called... I'm a thing of the past, use Reaper as a tape machine and midi editor. All my drums are stereo out and have been for ages. Still, I manage to get things done now and then.

Even that routing matrix leaves me puzzled. Inexplicable thing.

Anyway, I quickly recorded the audio out, copied the file to an arrangement I did the other day and muted the (old) drum track and had a listen. Not bad at all. Followed the song structure exactly. Maybe a fill or two happened in the "wrong" place (not how I would have programmed/arranged it), but why not adapt to it? Of course I could make a few edits and move things around... only thing that naggs me is I couldn't make the hats and ride to play even 8's (it's a 6/8 song and the hats/ride pauses here and there) but I suppose I can live with that too.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
azimuth

@Burnsjethro: You're welcome.

@Jorgen: Understood, I'm fairly old school myself. The pauses will happen if you do not have the song parts in Jamstix the same time sig as your Reaper project. When you use the Song Builder in Jamstix, all song parts will be composed in the time sig of where the play cursor is located in Reaper.

In Jamstix, where the song parts are shown on the left side of the GUI, click the bars or reps number for that part and another window will open where you can change settings for that individual part.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #16
Jorgen

Quote:
In Jamstix, where the song parts are shown on the left side of the GUI, click the bars or reps number for that part and another window will open where you can change settings for that individual part.
Thanks, and yes, another window opens. It's not exactly intuitive, I tried out a few changes. Now the ride plays on the verses and the hihat plays on the chorus. I suppose I should read tfm. I have no idea what 8's and hard 8's mean. Or the lingo overall. Maybe you can point me to an introduction vid?
Old 08-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #17
azimuth

Hi Jorgen, Here's 2 videos that were created by Reaper user Chandlerhimself, hope they help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg120JLhcRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foVp...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by azimuth; 08-17-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:53 AM   #18
ivansc

Ya suckered me in again!

Hadnt tried it in ages as I couldnt get on with the results I got from an earlier trial version, but I am now giving it another go to see if it can get even close to the stylrs I need.
Rayzoon always reminds me of John Carter of Barsoom!
Old 08-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #19
Jorgen

Quote:
Hi Jorgen, Here's 2 videos that were created by Reaper user Chandlerhimself, hope they help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg120JLhcRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foVp...ature=youtu.be
Many thanks.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #20
bobobo

for a quick result take slipstick's tip from above

i made a reaper-demo -project.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sq...fUTM1LprbBS_o8

Alt-B to show the virtual-midi-keyboard.

i used ReaSamplomatic5000 with some samples i found.

q: Kick
w: Snare
e: HH closed
r: HH open

greetz
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote