Old 08-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
todd_r
Human being with feelings

Default Online Render for Freeze

I'm using a Trueno, analogue Synth on a USB stick. To use multiple instances or keep the sound without the device plugged in you need to render/freeze. But a online render is required to get a sound from it. Is it possible to set the freeze function to use online rendering, or to write an action to do it?
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
cfillion

If realtime (not online) is enough, there's an option for this in Preferences > Audio > Rendering.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
vanhaze

Or make a Custom Action for rendering realtime which invokes the SWS Action:
"set render speed to realtime"

This way, you won't have to goto Reaper Preferences first and checkmark the setting
"Limit apply fx render to realtime"

Ofcourse, you need the free SWS extensions installed to have the action
SWS "set render speed to realtime" available in Reaper's Action List.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #4
todd_r

Needs to be online so I'm afraid that doesn't work, tried to work out a custom action to do it the long way round, but think I'm just going to have to do it manually.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
bobobo

trueno supports recording to a file itself. no need to render via daw
check the manual in this regard

greetz
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:27 AM   #6
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Needs to be online so I'm afraid that doesn't work, tried to work out a custom action to do it the long way round, but think I'm just going to have to do it manually.
I don't understand:
My post was about the realtime rendering possibility in Reaper, which is the same as rendering "online". (or not ?)

You could always make an Audio Track, route the audio output from the trueno Track to that Audio Track, record-arm this Audiotrack, set record mode for this Audiotrack to "record output" and then record the audio output from trueno in realtime onto this Audiotrack.

You could "bundle" all these different steps (Actions) into a Custom Action for very quick workflow.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
trueno supports recording to a file itself. no need to render via daw
check the manual in this regard

greetz
Yep thanks, I think that's there in case your DAW doesn't have online rendering support at all. Can do it in Reaper, but just not as a freeze it seems
Old 08-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #8
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I don't understand:
My post was about the realtime rendering possibility in Reaper, which is the same as rendering "online". (or not ?)

You could always make an Audio Track, route the audio output from the trueno Track to that Audio Track, record-arm this Audiotrack, set record mode for this Audiotrack to "record output" and then record the audio output from trueno in realtime onto this Audiotrack.

You could "bundle" all these different steps (Actions) into a Custom Action for very quick workflow.
I think it sets it as realtime offline rather that realtime online. I tried saving the midi as a subproject, as the manual says it renders as realtime online, but it doesn't seem to.

Your way sounds good though, I'll give that a whirl thanks
Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #9
bobobo

Quote:
Yep thanks, I think that's there in case your DAW doesn't have online rendering support at all. Can do it in Reaper, but just not as a freeze it seems
not at all ..trueno recommend this way
Quote:
Originally Posted by troublesdhooting.pdf on trueno website
Rendering
As Trueno relies on analogue circuitry which can only work in real time, it does not support faster
than real time rendering (ie: when you click the render button on your DAW). To get audio out of
Trueno and into your project, you should use the built in recording function.
Some DAWs have the option to notify plugins when they are in rendering mode, you should switch
this on for Trueno. This will allow you to render without having to close plugin instances and lose
settings.
i don't understand the last two sentences in the consequences, but there is such a flag you can set in REAPER. and maybe it helps.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
todd_r

Quote:
I think it sets it as realtime offline rather that realtime online. I tried saving the midi as a subproject, as the manual says it renders as realtime online, but it doesn't seem to.

Your way sounds good though, I'll give that a whirl thanks
Ah no, you were right the first time! I must have done something wrong when I tried it half asleep last time. A custom Action of setting to realtime then freezing does the trick, thanks
Old 11-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
nocturn

hey maybe this is a good spot to ask, im having trouble running:

Xenakios/SWS: Set render speed to realtime
Track: Render selected area of tracks to stereo stem tracks (and mute originals)

its doing 32bit float, but my projects 24bit. project settings have 24bit defualt, in the regular render settings its always 24 bit, playbacks 24bit, all the wavs are 24, im 24 bit, and i want to stay 24bit. anyone know where the settings might be hiding?

EDIT: found it a second after posting naturally: in the project settings, you have to set "format for apply fx, freeze, glue,ect" to custom and set custom to 24bit, in my case. ARRG 5hours

Last edited by nocturn; 11-13-2018 at 03:05 PM.
nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote