Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-03-2021, 08:18 PM   #1
Ajazzie
Human being with feelings

Default For Scarlet users with latency problems

Hi all, I’ve recently migrated from Protools HD to Reaper with a scarlet 18i20 and a claret octo pre hanging of that. I’ve struggled with latency, echos etc to the point it was driving me to go back to my PTsystem .

I’m running a fully spec’ d laptop, tons of power and ram and could not get it right , even on tiny buffer settings.

I have solved it for me and couldn’t be happier, now it’s snappy and latency is not noticeable in any way even with larger buffer settings.

I thought Ide share this- it may or not help or solve anything but I’m just putting it out there to how I fixed it in case it possibly helps someone who has the same headache they have exhausted every Avenue.

This is on win 10

Firstly from the start menus I reset Reaper to the default settings rather than reinstalling
I did not choose an interface as it requested I did, I left it at this screen.

I then reinstalled the latest Focusrite control for Scarlet, and turned it back on, not having the claret on although it was connected. I went back to reaper and selected the I/o for the Scarlet only , forced it to 48000 and hit ok. Buffer set to 256.

I then closed reaper, reopened and adjusted the I/o to allow for the claret, Focusrite control set to internal and 48000 locked straight in.

When I armed and recorded in reaper everything was perfect. Latency no longer an issue.

Basically a clean install, perhaps the order I did it helped too not sure.

Anyhow this worked for me, probably nothing special but if it can help someone in some way that’s great

Regards

Rob
Ajazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #2
serr
Human being with feelings

You should be able to drive the latency back and forth with the block size control. You noted the system not responding to your buffer settings. It's also possible to control this from certain OS or 3rd party control panels. Ticking the box next to block size in Reaper enables control from Reaper. Unticked disables Reaper control of this. You might have conflicting control going on.

I used to use Protools HD too. Upgraded to Reaper around 2009. My recollection of Protools was it likes to be set to max I/O buffer or it would complain. Just mention low latency live sound and it would laugh at you (and then crash). Reaper is stable at low latency and can run live sound. Just throwing that out there.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote